BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Exterior/Interior Protection Package

03-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
FirstBMW@24
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i

Exterior/Interior Protection Package

I recieved a call from BMW Fortitude Valley about my impending delivery. The Customer Services Manager told me about an exterior paint and rust protection, leather and window tinting for $A3,000 (but a 15% discount if I ordered it now) that I should get for my investment (I wouldn't say investment as it's depreciating).

I'm just wondering from other users if they think this is a waste of money or there is some merit to it?

I paid $A56,000 for the car and in hindsight spending $A3,000 to protect the car sounds like a good deal. Or the other side of it sounds dubious that the paint isn't going to last.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

I think the only interesting thing would be the exterior paint-protection, as you live in brisbane aus where the sun is crazy-strong. Maybe window-tint aswell if you didn't tick that extra option when ordered.

Rust shouldn't be an issue? or is it? salty moist from the sea? Can't be that bad. I live in rust-heaven-sweden where we fight ice on the roads wintertime by putting thousands of tonnes of salt on the roads. Got no extra protection.

maybe if you intend to keep the car for 15 years or so it would make sense perhaps.

great country and city you live in btw, by this time last year I was in aus, had a good 3months vaction traveling the eastcoast. God I miss that... especially the surfing =)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

I did have the extra protection but only because it was offered as a free add on to the service pack which I took out. I always wax my car using autoglym high definition wax which puts a nice deep shine on the car. If it was not free I would not have had it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series F20 118D Sport

I had it done, got a discount on it, but would have had it done anyway, have seen the difference it makes - really helps maintain the colour but as the above poster said, you have to do your bit and look after the exterior. Did not have internal as I went for cloth on this car, but previous cars had leather and also a side by side comparison showed it helped maintain the original condition of the interior. Worth it IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
FirstBMW@24
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
I think the only interesting thing would be the exterior paint-protection, as you live in brisbane aus where the sun is crazy-strong. Maybe window-tint aswell if you didn't tick that extra option when ordered.

Rust shouldn't be an issue? or is it? salty moist from the sea? Can't be that bad. I live in rust-heaven-sweden where we fight ice on the roads wintertime by putting thousands of tonnes of salt on the roads. Got no extra protection.

maybe if you intend to keep the car for 15 years or so it would make sense perhaps.

great country and city you live in btw, by this time last year I was in aus, had a good 3months vaction traveling the eastcoast. God I miss that... especially the surfing =)
Yeah Brisbane is really good. I'm up at Cairns (north Queensland) at the moment which is really beautiful. Sunny weather, palm trees and beautiful beaches.

I'm keeping the car for 3 years only so I was only thinking of resale value in terms of it being more appealing to potential buyers over one that hasn't had it done.

It does keep hot in Brisbane but my car will rarely be parked in the sun. Does the exterior offer any protection against scratches?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMW@24 View Post
Yeah Brisbane is really good. I'm up at Cairns (north Queensland) at the moment which is really beautiful. Sunny weather, palm trees and beautiful beaches.

I'm keeping the car for 3 years only so I was only thinking of resale value in terms of it being more appealing to potential buyers over one that hasn't had it done.

It does keep hot in Brisbane but my car will rarely be parked in the sun. Does the exterior offer any protection against scratches?
nice, I could use some sunny palm-tree beaches right now when we were in cairns we went to fitzroy island for three nights, paradise!! god it was beautiful, the water, the nature, the reef with it's color and fish. Although stinger-season but we survived around cairns they got those nets though so no worries huh

regarding the protection, I doubt you'll have any return of investment really on that expense for the whole package of rust/inside/outside-kit (3000$ sounds a bit expensive to me, even with discount). And about scratches; you'll have a tinytinty extra layer of protection, but any scenario that would cause a scratch will cause a scratch regardless of protection or not imo. What you get though with paint-protection is a car that got better chances of staying fresh looking brand new and shiny if taken care of, and that ofcourse is beneficial when it comes to selling down the road. I agree with previous posters on that.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
aussman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F20 118i Sports

waste of money costs them about $100
this straight from a dealer
Appreciate 0