BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Bike tour van shadow

08-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Bike tour van shadow

Last Sunday I had to go over McClure Pass to pick up a car. On the way up I came upon a bike touring group of about 15-20 ridders. Now in Colorado in the summer this is not uncommon and I wouldn't think twice about it. Before you pigeon hole me as anti-bike I commuted for over 20 years and have easily over 100k miles in the saddle. Back to the story. What was different this day is that the group was being followed by a van (sag wagon). The van was pacing the group (12mph) and driving so as to block almost the entire lane. The road had limited sight lines and was marked double yellow. This went on for several miles, backing up traffic. Without the van the shoulder was plenty wide and it would have been easy to pass but with the van there was no way to make a safe pass. Is this even legal? Sure doesn't seem like a good idea. Hope it doesn't become the norm.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Certainly not a good idea. Last tour i was on in Montana the sag wagons leap frogged the riders continually and pulled over on the side or the road every 20 miles or so.
wdb4718.00
      08-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I've done van supported tours in the US and Europe. The vans never paced the riders. WTF is that anyway? They always waited at some safe pull-off spot such as a scenic view or parking area.

I've seen motorpaced groups on the road but they were on flat roads and doing the speed limit or thereabouts. Pretty cool, but not for the uninitiated.
Appreciate 0