BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > US to German Spec

02-08-2015, 05:13 AM   #1
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

US to German Spec

Looking for some insight/experience.

Would like to register my US spec 2012 550i on the German system. I have quite a few months to get this done, but am just starting my research.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Made a little headway -- rear turn signals need to be orange, not red and need rear fog lights.

Anything else?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

When we exported a Mercedes SL500 from the US to the UK, we had to fit new front headlights and orange fender side markers. The SL500 already had orange indicators in the rear, along with rear fog lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

This is a place to start:
https://www.tuv-nord.com/en/buying-a...les-2732.htm#1
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Made a little headway -- rear turn signals need to be orange, not red and need rear fog lights.

Anything else?
Do a search on the rear fog lights. Most have them already you just need to make the button functional. There are several DYI thread on clipping the button so it can be pushed in. Others like myself who are OCDC swapped out the switch so to have the spiffy graphics and back lighting. You can often find the switches used on ebay for a descent price.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Looking for some insight/experience.

Would like to register my US spec 2012 550i on the German system. I have quite a few months to get this done, but am just starting my research.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If the rear taillights are at all like F15/X5 it will be expensive. They are not plug and play anymore.

You'll need new light assemblies, new wiring, coding.

Repeat for headlights in all likelihood, especially if you have LEDs.

Also, unless you have the 6WB panel, you'll need a metric instrument console.

I've explored both, to get amber rear and anti dazzle to work for front LEDs...for a US to a RoW conversion.
      02-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

Anything else?
First you better bring some money. Lots of it! I'm not joking. This car won't be cheap to register each year, I think its gonna cost you over 1,200 euros in taxes. Then there is the 19% MsTw tax and import taxes you will need to pay. In the end, thats gonna be about ~26% of the car's value!!

Second... Does your car have M-sport & the #840 speed synconation option? IF not you will be limited to 210 koh top speed. IF you have M sport and #840, you will be limited to 250 kph.

You will probably also need to tires(speed rated for the higher speeds). Brake pads are also probably different. Especially IF you have LED's.

You will also need to have someone code your Nav to EU TMS channel and upload the German/EU maps. ~200 euros.

I guess you know fuel costs about $9 per gallon over here and most apts do not have garages, so it will be street parking.

License plates and registration fee's will run about ~200 euros the first time. Paid only once.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.

To go thru TÜV you will need them to make the cars papers from scratch... so that will likely cost another 300 euros(only paid once).

You should send TÜV SÜD(Bavaria), an email and ask what is needed.

http://www.tuev-sued.de/home_en

To make the rear brake fogs work, you will need a new headlight switch(~200 euros).

You will also need to have a "car coder", decode the US (front)turn signals and running lights. They can also code the headlights to EU specs - which is brighter and has a better(wider) beam pattern.

Other things you will need to pass the TÜV is an approved first aid kit(~20 euros) and a warning triangle(~15 euros) and a safety vest for each person who rides in the car(~4 euros each).

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Thanks for the info.

I've had the car in Germany since I bought it, but it is on military plates. Already have the European maps and it's been coded with some other Euro-stuff. Got the tires as well. Looks like I just need a pocket full of Euros to finish the rest!

Heading to TÜV in a couple weeks.

Thanks again
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2015, 03:28 AM   #9
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Rear fog lights complete. Bought from ECS tuning. Was dead easy to install.

Took it to TÜV and I do need to get rear turn signals that are yellow. Should cost around $600.

Main problem now is front headlights. Can't see if there is a Euro stamp on the light. If there isn't, it'll cost about 1000 Euros each side.

Anyone know where the data is on the headlight?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Rear fog lights complete. Bought from ECS tuning. Was dead easy to install.

Took it to TÜV and I do need to get rear turn signals that are yellow. Should cost around $600.

Main problem now is front headlights. Can't see if there is a Euro stamp on the light. If there isn't, it'll cost about 1000 Euros each side.

Anyone know where the data is on the headlight?
Looks like the headlights are different on RealOEM.com Just run a search on your VIN and see what the part number is for your car. Then run a search on that part number to see what other cars it fits. But it looks like EU and USA cars have different head lights.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&fg=05&hl=12

Tail lights are different bc of the yellow vs red led's. But you might have your TUV guy check... I didn't think you needed to have yellow turn signals anymore. There are a very few new cars in Germany that have red turn signals. I can't remember which cars though. Ask to see it in writing where the turn signals must be yellow. Or ask the Ing at the TUV center.

Good Luck,
Dackel

PS: When do you go to the Zoll ? That's not gonna be fun at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

The rear indicator lights must still be yellow when on, the cover itself can be red or clear, but when the lights are on they must glow yellow

Quote:
(3) Als Fahrtrichtungsanzeiger sind nur Blinkleuchten für gelbes Licht zulässig.
gelb = yellow

Look in StVZO §54.3
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganxxta View Post
The rear indicator lights must still be yellow when on, the cover itself can be red or clear, but when the lights are on they must glow yellow

gelb = yellow

Look in StVZO §54.3
Let me know how you resolve this please. There is one X5 user who switched to euro taillights, and at least on an X5 F15 it required new lights, different wiring, and coding to make it work. The person who did is very knowledge and he still fried a controller doing the conversion. As you see from my footnote, not having amber rear turn signals in the US is an issue with me. Thank you.