BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > idiots guide to BMW Traction control please

03-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
Shrader
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renaultsport

idiots guide to BMW Traction control please

Hi

Can anyone explain how the traction control options on the 135i work as ive not found a clear explanation and they both seem to offer braking of the spinning wheel...does DSC reduce engine power too?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

DSC, which is the default setting, reduces engine power when necessary, and brakes the spinning wheels. It will also help you to recover slides.

DTC, which you can enable by pressing the button or selecting Sport+, will do the same. It does however allow the car to drift a bit, and it allows a lot of wheelspin. This mode is well suited for driving on loose surfaces like snow, where you need the wheels to dig into the surface to get more grip. It is also nice for overtaking other cars in slippery conditions without the engine bogging down as long as you can keep the car pointing the right direction.

A long press of the button will disable stability control and traction control. Unfortunately, you now get comfort mapping of the engine response. You still have a fake differential brake which will slow down the spinning wheel by using the brakes only. If both wheels are spinning, it will not interfere.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Shrader
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers overkam , too many options !! but i understand that
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrader View Post
Hi

Can anyone explain how the traction control options on the 135i work as ive not found a clear explanation and they both seem to offer braking of the spinning wheel...does DSC reduce engine power too?

Cheers
enjoy this article i wrote a while back:

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709015
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Sport + or one press of the button = fun

Long press of the button =

03-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
what an idiot

long press is fun, if you can drive
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F46 Gran Tourer, C220 AMG

Oops, he didnt even look as if he was going that fast.

I seen a guy totally lose the back end of an old 3 series coming off J15 on the M8 , he ended up doing a 90° turn to the left (well the back end did a counter clockwise rotation of 90° to be more precise!) Just because he put the foot down a bit coming off the slip. Same thing happened to me but the DSC kicked in and I could right it easily. Must have been oil or something on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
Shrader
United Kingdom
Rep

what the bananas happened there ? surly thats not just loss of traction and the diff put hi into traffic? don't believe that
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

If you guys find that 1M crash (in Hong Kong) interesting and it is, isn't it? Then, you may like to check the theories and discussion as well as hillarious comments in this (long) thread from the past, enjoy it:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679377
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripkord View Post
Oops, he didnt even look as if he was going that fast.

I seen a guy totally lose the back end of an old 3 series coming off J15 on the M8 , he ended up doing a 90° turn to the left (well the back end did a counter clockwise rotation of 90° to be more precise!) Just because he put the foot down a bit coming off the slip. Same thing happened to me but the DSC kicked in and I could right it easily. Must have been oil or something on the road.
Can't think which one junction 15 is. I did see a guy total an e46 M3 into the central barrier just past Langbank on the M8 a few years ago. Looked like he just totally lost it in the wet and went all over the road before deciding to park it on top of the barrier.

A bit like this

Regarding that 1M. It's an old video so lots of chat about it. Someone I know from Hong Kong said that stretch of road does get particularly greasey at certain times of year when it's damp and wet. Reckoned he had all the aids off and was a bit too heavy with the go pedal.