BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New BMW M135i (F21)

10-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
s2rv
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f21 M135i

New BMW M135i (F21)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi All!

For those of you waiting for your BMW M135i (or any other 3 door Mineral Grey F21), I thought i'd share a few pictures of my Mineral Grey 3 Door BMW M135i. I assure you, you won't be disappointed when you get it!

Sorry for the Image quality!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Congrsts and welcome to the club
      10-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

You guys are making the wait for mine worse! I'm now opening up the forum daily to check for new pictures haha.

Congrats to the both of you on the awesome cars. I'm hoping to join the club sometime near the end of the year if vacancies are still open
      10-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Looks Great!! And from what I read it is an excellent car as well....one of the best modern BMW's
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)

Last edited by Fanis; 10-16-2012 at 06:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Great color choice!
Can you share some driving impressions?
Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Congrats, it looks good
M performance spoilers and under sills would set it off
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
s2rv
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi all!

This is my second attempt at writing a few of my thoughts about my new M135i (first time was unsuccessful due to me pressing a button in error)

Right, here goes...

So far I am very impressed with my car, I haven't driven it hard as I want to treat it right, as I may keep after 4 years. My old car was a BMW 330d remapped to around 280hp and 600nm of twisty stuff, I also own a Skoda Octavia vRS DSG. My impressions on the car so far are based on the above cars.

My car has the 8 speed sport auto fitted, which I find really really good/great, better than the DSG gearbox, which I thought was pretty near perfect. You can put the gearbox into sport, it delays the upshift (more revs) and appears to 'bang' the gears in (not as smooth, but good for more rapid progress) at the same time as this you can change the car mode into eco pro, comfort, sport, sport+ which sort of makes the car go from a bit soft and cuddly to a bit of an animal (tighter harsher/more responsive)- I thought this was a bit of gimmick when reading the brochure, but I genuinely think it is a good feature-read on...... For instance, in traffic I like it in eco pro as it makes for a very relaxed drive, calming almost, whilst comfort is good for around town, whilst sport and sport+ tighten everything up and ecorage you to 'press on'. I haven't really used the 'flappy paddles' on the steering wheel in anger-but, I probably will in time.

I have the adaptive suspension, although, I can't say what it is like, as I haven't driven a standard car-it is more forgiving than my old m sport 330d on runflats, but the M135i doesn't have runflats as standard (is this why the ride is better?). I think the the different modes of the car, changer the damper settings and the spring is different to standard-effectively different strengths in different parts of the spring to aid ride comfort or cornering if 'giving it some'. Or that is how I understand the system, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have the DAB radio, which I like the choice of stations, plus I also have the HK sound as I was very disappointed in my old BMW's sound system quality (I was wrong in thinking that it was a premium brand so it would have premium sound as standard)

Other options I have are, electric memory seats-I love these as myself and missus effectively share cars based on our needs for the day, they are great for me not smashing my knees off the steering column after she has driven it-as the seats set when you 'plip' the car and at the same time it also sets the exterior mirrors and HVAC and sound system to your settings

Seat heating-first car I have had with it, no doubt good for my bad back in winter.

Auto lights and wipers and 'sunset' glass.

In the UK we have xenon lights and leather as standard, xenons seem good, leather also seems nice-my dealer did say perhaps these may only be 'freebies' for a limited time-I cannot confirm this. Maybe so, as it is a new model and want people to see a longer standard spec list?

The sound from the car is great, even on these cooler autumn days I have the window open to hear the engine. When you first start the car, there is a rich rumble/throb from the exhaust-very much similar to a 1M when starting (my neighbours aren't gonna like this as I work shifts and have funny start and finish times)

As for the other options available for the car, I could have gone mad and spent a lot more money, but, for stuff that I don't think I would use or not miss having. It would have been quite easy to spend many thousands of pounds more...... but, in my opinion the car would not have been as value for money.

I think that is it my initial reactions on the car, if you're waiting for a M135i I genuinely think you will love it, except for perhaps the electric steering (maybe this will grow on me?) seems to have little feel, but tightens up at speed. Don't let that put you off, 'all' cars have it now, I am just a fan of the old hydraulic steering. The only other slight negative is the start stop system, I'm not sure it can be good for cars, I am having mine disabled or reversed in operation (default is operating, I want to select it to be operational when I want it to be, not when BMW deems it so for Co2 emissions)

Thanks for reading and hope it has enlightened you more into your purchase or potential purchase.

s2rv
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
s2rv
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Congrats, it looks good
M performance spoilers and under sills would set it off
I do like a car that looks a bit special-splitters etc, but, I like the 'Q' car also, as I like to destroy 'boy racers' - I guess I am still one, maybe more 'man racer' now?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Nice review.
I too find the only negative is the steering feel, but otherwise the car is just perfect.
      10-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Very nice car... thank you for the review and pic's
      10-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

srv2 except for perhaps the electric steering (maybe this will grow on me?) seems to have little feel, but tightens up at speed. Don't let that put you off, 'all' cars have it now, I am just a fan of the old hydraulic steering.

This scares me.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
s2rv
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDAD View Post
srv2 except for perhaps the electric steering (maybe this will grow on me?) seems to have little feel, but tightens up at speed. Don't let that put you off, 'all' cars have it now, I am just a fan of the old hydraulic steering.

This scares me.
Maybe I was being a little harsh, just very different to what I was used to on my old e90, just very light at low speed, higher speeds it is fine. I guess the steering is opposite from my impression of my e90 when I first had that and thought was too heavy-I got user to that and enjoyed it. Maybe BMW are trying to satisfy 2 different requirements with the steering in city and higher speed.

I will hopefully comment further once I'm pushing the car harder.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
SoMBrA
Registered
Rep
Drives: Celica VVTL-i

Thanks for the pictures and for the write up!

I'm still deciding if Mineral + Red leather would be a good option... maybe too much?

Have you seen Mineral grey + Red leather? I'm trying to find that combo in any other BMW cars
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
s2rv
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMBrA View Post

I'm still deciding if Mineral + Red leather would be a good option... maybe too much?

Have you seen Mineral grey + Red leather? I'm trying to find that combo in any other BMW cars
I almost bought a used 135i in space grey with red leather, originally I wasn't a fan, but the red leather grew on me. I just went with the safe/boring option on my M135i.

Sorry I can't help any further, you may find old style 1 series with space grey and red leather online.

Good luck with your decision making!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

I am hopeful, (in the not too distant future) we may all like electric steering

As steering is now Electro –servo, it relies on a control module for input to tell it speed to ratio and weight.

This means it has a programme, so in theory it could have its programme altered to change the steering characteristics.

You may be able to have your steering custom configured to your liking.

As it would have to be done by BMW it will cost you heaps (as usual)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #16
madvlam
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2rv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMBrA View Post

I almost bought a used 135i in space grey with red leather, originally I wasn't a fan, but the red leather grew on me. I just went with the safe/boring option on my M135i.

Sorry I can't help any further, you may find old style 1 series with space grey and red leather online.

Good luck with your decision making!
Saw that combo in a F30 328i sport and it looks cool
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
curly
Private
Rep

Congrats I enjoyed the write up,nice spec and colourHopefully mine won't be to long know
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
Nikonian
Rep
Drives: 118i

Nice car!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
karls
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW Golf 6

Thank you so much for posting pictures of your car. I will order mine next week and until know i was unsteady which colour. but now i know: it must be mineral grey!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
Gregashley
Rep

White m135i manual.

Hi All

New to the forum world so im hoping this post lands up in the right place.
Recently took delivery of a 5 door M135i and really enjoying the car!

I have a question to anyone who can shed some light: why is my car approximately 20mm higher that the other cars i have seen( this i have checked by measuring the center of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch on perfectly flat surface) seems strange but the first thing i noticed when seeing the car was that its slightly higher than i expected, after looking at so many web images before taking delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #21
Gregashley
Rep

This is a pic after the car had been through "pdi"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
Gregashley
Rep