BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Thoughts on M135i vs rivals

04-30-2016, 01:56 AM   #1
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

Thoughts on M135i vs rivals

Hi there, I'm seriously considering the M135i LCI. I wanted to get some feedback from owners of an M135i who might have compared or driven similar current hot hatches and see what you think of your car compared to those (eg. Audi S3/RS3, MB A45, VW Golf R etc). Still happy with your choice? Or anyone here wishing they had bought a different car?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 03:13 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

There are several threads here about how happy people are about their M135i. Some have even chosen it over pure M models from BMW.

But then again, the cars you mention are slightly different, and so are people. The best car in the world for one person can be rubbish for another. If you want a rear wheel drive hatchback with straight six music playing while you are driving, there is only one choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 03:29 AM   #3
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

It is a nice car but the power cannot be used on our roads. I've found my 2015 116i m is more fun as you can us the gears a lot more on corners and hill driving. I'm not worried about frontline speed. I also found the 116i m was fun at the track as long as it has many corners. I also found it corners better than our 2015 220i m

If you have the money and enjoy the 135 go for it but watch your licence.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 04:19 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
It is a nice car but the power cannot be used on our roads. I've found my 2015 116i m is more fun as you can us the gears a lot more on corners and hill driving. I'm not worried about frontline speed. I also found the 116i m was fun at the track as long as it has many corners.
Same here. 300+ hp is a total waste on Norwegian roads. 136 hp is more than enough. I wouldn't mind having the six cylinder engine sound, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 04:32 AM   #5
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

If you exercise self-control *most* of the time, you will find it a great car...wouldn't swap for one of those other for quids!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the responses guys I realise the M135i is probably a bit much for regular driving but I plan to take it to the track once or twice a year so I can exploit its potential there. I don't drive manual so a few other choices like the Focus RS are out for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
nelsonian101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FGXR6T, M140i

Not sure if seen this?

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #8
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
Not sure if seen this?

Nice review although the M135i doesn't feature much in it. High praises for its 6cyl engine. I wonder if it's a bit too civilised, quiet, "GT-like" against the latest raucous, exhaust barking, boy-racer type hatches? Different cars for different people I guess. I do like that it's the only RWD hatch out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 02:05 AM   #9
ttimbo
Major
Rep

I think the AWD hatches are quite dull. Their handling is very, very predictable. That doesn't mean the M135i is unpredictable or unsafe, just that it harks back to an earlier era when hard throttle give you a big push and a bit of sideways from the back (DSC kills anything too dramatic).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 02:08 AM   #10
nelsonian101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FGXR6T, M140i

Initially I was choosing between a Golf R and M135i. I do a lot of research. Am a Mechanical engineer and have 20 years of circuit/race experience. I first took the R for a test drive and was very impressed with the steering and chassis on change of direction. VERY impressed. Low down part throttle response was also something I wasn't expecting. Gave it a boot full from 70-110kmh on the freeway and it felt slow, but then everything would compared to the over powered (heavily modified 400rwkw) FGXT6T I currently drive.

The 6.5" screen on the Golf R was very small. 6.5" I think....
Iphone connectivity on screen was a bonus though.
But Bigger screen not currently available in Australia.

These Golf R's always seem not to lap that fast on circuit in the dry but I'm confident understeer, power and DSG bugs can all be improved with careful mods and wallet lightening.

2nd Golf R test drive, I went for a LONG drive on a twisty local road. Beautiful steering and chassis, and....ahem.....I flogged it.
Virtually impossible to get sideways on a public road unless of course, you're an idiot. Best to save that for a circuit.....
Off the line though it didn't seem as quick as I'd hoped. Bit of delay stalling with brake and throttle at the lights (Don't want to use launch control every single time). In 1st - up to 2nd it punched hard but then 2nd gear acceleration and 3rd were disappointing. SO slow to compared to my current monster but that was expected from a stock car, so no big issue. Didn't really like the artificial noise in race mode. Actually set up the individual parameters as Race spec, but normal noise but guess it's personal pref.

I still rate the Golf R very highly though.
Just that I think it was too easy to drive fast for me. Very little involvement. As much as I hate to quote James May, the "fizz" wasn't there. I'll also go against Clarkson's recommendation of basing an entire decision based on a full throttle (old man skills) aquaplane at 200kmh....
Just planting the throttle on the Golf R, with zero wheelspin (not even an anticipation, eventually) seemed boring.
I think rwd is for me. Too old to change. I tried.

Then to the BMW dealership....
Won't mention which one, but they were wankers.
More interested in the shoes I was wearing and car I currently drove.
First salesman had no clue when I asked if the bottom right cooler was for engine oil or ZF.
Tech guy was great though and answered all my questions.
Didn't have a test drive car but from first impression, cabin quality was excellent.
You heard it here first, dare I say it, superior to a 2008 FG Falcon......(must have been the dealership lighting )
But seriously, way better the Golf R too in my opinion.
Loved the Aluminium touches and seats.
Harman Kardon box may have to be ticked too.

Overall the M135iwas awesome.
Round wheel felt thick. Very, very good. The test drive, sound and midrange felt great.
Nice driving position. Intuitive ZF.
It will be my choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 05:10 AM   #11
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I think the AWD hatches are quite dull. Their handling is very, very predictable. That doesn't mean the M135i is unpredictable or unsafe, just that it harks back to an earlier era when hard throttle give you a big push and a bit of sideways from the back (DSC kills anything too dramatic).
I agree, AWD hot hatches seem to flatter the driver, they are quick no doubt but not as demanding to drive. Didn't find the Audi S3 engaging enough when I last drove it, nice styling (Sedan) and cabin finish but the steering didn't feel right and was quite laggy too. Haven't driven the RS3, but reviews of its handling aren't exactly glowing. Can the M135i be let very loose when DSC is turned off (can it be turned completely off)?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

You can turn the DSC completely off, but there will be an electronic differential brake feature still engaged. I recommend getting a mechanical differential brake if you want to do a lot of drifting.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #13
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
Initially I was choosing between a Golf R and M135i.
That's a very detailed analysis, thank you!

I think I will go with the M135i too, and maybe eventually get the M Performance exhaust to make it a bit louder. The purity of the RWD chassis is what I find most appealing about it. The 3.0L 6cyl at 240kW should have a bit of room for tuning if I decide to do that at a later point (whereas the 2.0L 4cyl in R/S3/A45 probably have less room to improve). I'll need to organise a longer test drive in the M135i to get a better feel for it. The pricing (mid-$60ks) and upgraded standard equipment in the LCI makes a more attractive choice than a few years ago when it was closer the A45 in price optioned like-for-like.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:55 AM   #14
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Choices

I just posted a version of this on the 3 series site

I bought an M135i as an interim car while I was waiting for the yet to launch F80 M3 and loved it. When the M3 finally launched I expected my test drive to diminish how I felt about the M135i but in fact the opposite happened and I ended up having even more respect for the M135i, which outperformed or equalled the M car in several areas, especially low down acceleration, auto mode shifting and purity of the exhaust note. In fact I was so impressed with how the M135i compared, I didn't buy the M3 and bought an M5 instead. While its power and luxury are in a different league, I missed the M135i for a full 6 months while adapting to the bigger M car

I am now coming up to 18 month of ownership of the M5 and am considering either an M2 or M240i as its replacement.

Forget tuning an M135i unless you're willing to spend a lot on upgrading brakes, suspension, anti-roll bars, diff. and wheels. As delivered, the M135i is an extremely well balanced car that gets a little scrappy on the limit. With a tune, the extra power and torque will become a real liability so you'll spend your life 'being careful' and 'not pushing too hard' instead of just enjoying a beautifully balanced engine and chassis.

I also compared my M135i to an A45 AMG and was rather underwhelmed by the MB. On the first motorway on ramp I'm used to the BMW howling its way onto the road in a series of rapid fire upshifts. Not so the MB, which felt reluctant by comparison. I also much preferred the BMWs 8 speed to the DCT of the MB
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #15
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for that Steve, very informative from someone with experience with the performance M models.

I wouldn't consider the A45 myself. Not just that it's quite a bit more expensive but also the laggy dual clutch gearbox and I already have a standard A-Class which I don't particularly enjoy.

Been doing more research on the M135i and there's some talk of it being phased out of production in the next month and replaced by a 250kW M140i with a new engine design. I wonder how true the speculation is and what other updates the new model might bring. Since I'm not in a rush I could wait for it, or else pickup a M135i on runout.

Edit: Have now been advised the M140i is due for release in Sep, so production should begin in June-July. Price difference of $5k has been quoted (due to greater discounting on the runout M135i).

Last edited by PF1; 05-03-2016 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 03:20 AM   #16
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Forget tuning an M135i unless you're willing to spend a lot on upgrading brakes, suspension, anti-roll bars, diff. and wheels. As delivered, the M135i is an extremely well balanced car that gets a little scrappy on the limit. With a tune, the extra power and torque will become a real liability so you'll spend your life 'being careful' and 'not pushing too hard' instead of just enjoying a beautifully balanced engine and chassis.
Steve,

I think LCI addresses some of the pre-LCI foibles however have you driven any 'fettled' M135i's ?

If not, then you aren't best to make your generalisations about tuning being a liability.

Stock brakes are fine, springs need firming up [a la M235i] ie H&R/Eibachs or Birds B1s and JB4 adds some more gumption to make the best of the simple chassis upgrade. All in <£1000.

BP
      05-03-2016, 03:31 AM   #17
ttimbo
Major
Rep

In Australia, tuning the M135i is an expensive proposition. Therefore it's best that you are pretty satisfied with the car straight out of the box. In my opinion, it's one of the really great out of the box cars, with adequate power, great rwd handling, and brakes that'll handle the odd track day. I think the M140i will be more badgeware than anything else, but it may give you the chance to buy a LCI at an extra discount.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 03:57 AM   #18
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

It is a good idea to get used to the car and test it properly before deciding to upgrade. As drivers, we have different driving styles, abilities and preferences. One driver can find the car too stiff, and another can find it too soft.

In many cases, people want the suspension setup as they are used to from a previous car. Maybe they had some coilovers on it, and want the same on the new car. If they had gotten used to the stock setup, there is a chance that they would grow to like it, and that the car performs better than with the coilovers.

The chassis engineers at BMW do know what they are doing. I remember one of them was asked if the BMWs were set up for the average driver. He replied that they were not. They were set up for the average BMW driver. Big difference! :-)
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2016, 04:23 AM   #19
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Good point!
Appreciate 0