BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Mod Findings So Far....

05-12-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Mod Findings So Far....

Though I will not modify my car, I was persuaded to ask around because there are people who really want to.

It's not my intention to advertise or mislead people, I thought by providing some of the stuff I've done might help someone in their modding, in this forum which has answered so many of my questions.
----------------------------------------------------
1. For LSD we are going with that ATB one. We stayed away from clutch type because we do not want to do too much future maintenance. (LSD I personally would like, oh well)

2. Suspension there are KW and Bilstein, but then it's subject to personal feel and opinion. We stick with big brands on this one. Factory is a bit soft when really pushed, but everyone knows.

3. For turbo we ->were<- planning on using the Vargas turbo. It uses the same housing but a bigger char. However we do not know if the intercooler/intake manifold/charge pipe/downpipe need upgrade or not, and we know it needs to be tuned, which brings us to

4. There are no companies we know of that can provide remapping to the degree claimed by Epic Motorsport. Without any modifications Epic Motorsport mentioned 400 ~ 450 hp, but then it hasn't come out yet, for M235i as well as for M135i. These gents are working hard on the M235i, and hopefully they will have something cracked soon enough.

They said they can tune around specific parts like Meth or a larger turbo, but we are not sure.

5. We don't know if a larger intercooler does anything if the ECU is not optimized for it.

6. JB4 either doesn't work well, or it doesn't work well with Meth. Or it doesn't work well in monsoon weather. One of our cars had JB4, and it developed shorts. That unit was removed and the gremlins were gone from the car. We do not know if it is an isolated incident.

7. Car works with you much better keeping vision far enough and lose some weight and being able to focus more. Strange to bring it up here but true.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

If the goal is to make the car faster, it might also be an idea to look into swaybars, camber plates and tyres.
Appreciate 0