BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Front doors rattling noise

07-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #23
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F46 Gran Tourer, C220 AMG

Window position doesnt seem to affect it at all, not sure about bass, will experiment a bit later with some RATM
      07-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #24
aiya78
Rep
Drives: F20 116d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripkord View Post
Update - Ok have isolated 2 different rattles:

The second type is more of a rattle in what seems to be the panel next to the window controls, but nearer the locking mechanism. This is exacerbated by turning left and going over uneven surfaces, and I'm pretty sure the same issue is on the passenger's door (except turning right makes it rattle). Its like a bit of plastic or a ball bearing rattling about, quite high pitched in comparison to the creaking seals. Seems to be muffled if I press against the door.

Does anyone have any experience in fixing this type of rattle or taking off the door trim? Does it affect the warranty. Stealer seems disinterested.
I had a same as problems with the second one. I removed the drives door panel and applied fabric tape all around the plastic clips, and cables. After that, the rattling or plastic clicking noise level has lowered but the ticking and clicking noise is coming out.

I hear another noise from the driver side vent. When I drive on uneven surface the noise is coming out continuously.

Give me any idea please!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #25
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep

I went over the whole door panel pressing everything in and it seems to have improved it. I think something is still loose inside, read on another forum the wires to the speakers are sometimes responsible for rattles - did you check them when you had the panel off?
      07-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #26
aiya78
Rep
Drives: F20 116d Sport

Quote:
I went over the whole door panel pressing everything in and it seems to have improved it. I think something is still loose inside, read on another forum the wires to the speakers are sometimes responsible for rattles - did you check them when you had the panel off?
Yes I checked them all. And applied the fabric tape on the plastic clips and the set of cables for the speaker and window control switch. But I think the noise is coming from the window switch. When I hear the noise and hit it, the noise is gone. Probably, the source may be the switch control.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #27
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

Quote:
Update - Ok have isolated 2 different rattles:

[...]

The second type is more of a rattle in what seems to be the panel next to the window controls, but nearer the locking mechanism. This is exacerbated by turning left and going over uneven surfaces, and I'm pretty sure the same issue is on the passenger's door (except turning right makes it rattle). Its like a bit of plastic or a ball bearing rattling about, quite high pitched in comparison to the creaking seals. Seems to be muffled if I press against the door.

Does anyone have any experience in fixing this type of rattle or taking off the door trim? Does it affect the warranty. Stealer seems disinterested.
I have exactly the same problem!! Any solution anyone yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #28
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

I know on my 320 especially when the weather had been hot for some time, the sound deadening panels had a habit of coming partially unstuck and could rattle.

Wonder if they can still break loose in the F20? If anyone gets the goo on a window when it's been wound down suspect a soundpad gone wonky.
      07-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #29
nicvw
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 125i Sport

Seem to have had some success with the Gummi, the main rattles from passenger and driver's door are gone. Now I just have an occasional creak in both doors, not the continuous rattle that was previously ruining my diving experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #30
Ronnyjoz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 125d M Sport, Estoril Blue

Dealer blamed my creaking front windows on the company who applied the paintseal product they sold me. Reckoned they used something called "Instant Shine" and put too much on. Poor show blaming a third party since they appointed this company in the first place.

Anyway I've had the car back a week, done no more than 150 miles and the creaking is back. This time they accused me of putting it through a car wash. I wouldn't subject a brand new car to that. It did rain really hard the night before; if it's really that finnicky I don't think I want the car. I've used no cleaning products other than the ones they provided.

It's going back in on Monday week for a second look. Might just book a test drive with the Merc dealer over the road from them while I'm there, see how they react to that...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #31
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Do it, they accuse you of putting it in a car wash and blame a third party for a really annoying problem that isn't exactly unique. If you're still within the 1 month / 1000 mile window then you may be able to reject it but there are rules before you can get a refund and walk away.

If it's a PCP / finance then it could get awkward, BMW finance aren't known for playing nice.
You must give the dealership a reasonable chance to correct the problem, I think you can tick this box.
They have the option to provide you a replacement car, not necessarily the same colour or options it depends on available group stock.

If all that fails then you can get into walking away discussions but be prepared for a battle.
      08-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #32
Ronnyjoz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
If you're still within the 1 month / 1000 mile window then you may be able to reject it
There's a problem right there: 2 months/6000 miles.

Might have to resign myself to crates of GummiPfledge.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #33
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Is it a 3 door?
      08-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #34
Ronnyjoz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

No, five. I was wondering if the three-door was affected too.

Last edited by Ronnyjoz; 08-12-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #35
Ronnyjoz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Just got the car back after its second visit and I can still hear the driver's side creaking faintly. They said they checked the BMW database and apparently there's no record of anyone having this problem before!

I'll give it another week or so: wait for it to get louder before reporting it agian or they'll just say they can't hear anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #36
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep

I ended up booking mines in as it was more or less consistent no matter what surface I was driving on. When I got it back its vastly improved but I can still hear it now and then. Are there any guides for stripping to doors down, there must be something I can do to stop this annoying bloody rattle.....
      08-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #37
Ronnyjoz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I've given up on my dealer (don't know how to fix it and resorted to lying to me) and bought some Gumi-Pflege. Not a permanent solution but easy enougn to apply as needed.

Now if only I can find something to stop the mirrors creaking when they unfold...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #38
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 116d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnyjoz View Post
I've given up on my dealer (don't know how to fix it and resorted to lying to me) and bought some Gumi-Pflege. Not a permanent solution but easy enougn to apply as needed.

Now if only I can find something to stop the mirrors creaking when they unfold...
Try Sailkote as that seems to get good reviews.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #39
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnyjoz View Post
Just got the car back after its second visit and I can still hear the driver's side creaking faintly. They said they checked the BMW database and apparently there's no record of anyone having this problem before!

I'll give it another week or so: wait for it to get louder before reporting it agian or they'll just say they can't hear anything.

I've been moaning about my door problems to my dealer for over a year, had 2 replacement door cards on the passenger side. Oh guess where my car is today, yep you guessed it, at the dealer. Plus every courtesy car (F20) I have ever had has been a rattle bucket, including the 118D M Sport I have now!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #40
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 116d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattstorm View Post

I've been moaning about my door problems to my dealer for over a year, had 2 replacement door cards on the passenger side. Oh guess where my car is today, yep you guessed it, at the dealer. Plus every courtesy car (F20) I have ever had has been a rattle bucket, including the 118D M Sport I have now!
I must be lucky, mine's not too bad. It has seemed to go away, I swear it's the weather and now it's cold the rattle has gone. I'll probably drive home and find another one
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #41
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport F20

How do people find the F20 on here in terms of rattles and trim noises. Mine has driven me mad for nearly 14 months And most is from doors / windows etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #42
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I have driven our F20 about 17 months now, and haven't noticed any rattle.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #43
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep

update; mines has more or less disappeared with time, only on the roughest of surfaces am I getting a minor tick which I can live with. driving around Sherwood forest on rocky roads must have jiggled whatever was loose :
      09-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #44
zksi
Rep
Drives: 116i

rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
Mine rattles too and when you push the arm rest area it goes away. It sounds like something is loose inside the door and only does it on hot days.

I got exactly the same problem- passenger door- but mine is almost all times and gets worse over uneven roads or bumps. dealer said its pillar noise but were wrong, comes from door. so solution is to open door area and look around
Appreciate 0