BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > About to buy a Thule bike rack.... Advice?

09-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

About to buy a Thule bike rack.... Advice?

Finally I recognize a full size bicycle won't fit into the trunk of F20 Looking around this Thule is pretty much the only option I got where I am. However, I doubt other brand makes much difference.

I am wondering if someone has installed one or something of similar brand. I am looking at the roof top rack. I suppose there will be some wind noise, just wondering how bad is it. Hauling two road bikes at most....

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

What if you take off the front wheel, and fold the rear seats? I think it should be possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I can get any of my bikes, which are all size large in the back by removing the front wheel and dropping the seat post. It's not ideal though as You can only then fit 1 passenger, no other luggage and it's only really possible to get 1 bike in.

Used them on a previous car and they were good. Not much wind noise from them. Just be careful to check that they will fit your frame as carbon bikes can cause a problem as can full suss mountain bikes.

I also had the BMW equivalent of the thule carrier but didn't like it. The attachment for the down tube was a pain.

If you want something a bit cheaper its worth looking at the Saris bones rear racks. It will probably work out about half as expensive.
      09-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I used to have a rather huge road bike (I am 189 cm tall with long legs). I could actually fit it between the front and back seats of my old 4 door E30, which is a narrower car than the F20, with less internal space. All I had to do, was to take the front bike wheel off. The fork went down behind the driver seat. People were usually rather surprised when I pulled that large bicycle out from the back door.

I haven't tried this with the F20, but I am pretty sure it would fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
BMW_116i_Hartge
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
What if you take off the front wheel, and fold the rear seats? I think it should be possible.
Yes that is possible with the mtb bike 26inc. I recently bought mountain bike GT avalanche and I took off the front wheel folded seets and bike was in with no problems :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Thanks for the reply

Yes I used to just chuck in the bike as shown in picture in a 20 years old beat up Nissan March Now with two kids I'll probably end up with the roof rack. Thanks for the replies.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0