BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > my car is f*cked - 125i with only 3000 km.

01-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
DRIVE'R
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i

my car is f*cked - 125i with only 3000 km.

So..., I arrived in Germany the other day, and sadly experience some problems with the engine. Once I was driving around 50-80 km/h and while it was parked, the car started to shake. At first I was expecting that I tanked some low quality fuel, but then I realized that Germans wouldn't allow that, so I immediately went to the closest BMW service to find out whats up. Unfortunately they noticed that 4th cylinder isn't working correctly, so they tried to replace spark plug, and then the ignition coil but nth helped. Guys at the service were really surprised, because supposedly they never experienced such problem with that motor before. They have contacted BMW in Munich and found out, that they need to replace whole engine-computer. So right now I gotta wait till friday or monday till this part arrives - supposedly its a rare part so its takes more time for the delivery. The sad part is, that the millage is really low, and even though I have obeyed run in process very carefully - this shit happened. So have any of you experienced smth like this already? Any tips on how should I handle this situation will be helpful. BMW said that they will pay back my hotel and rental car - but even that I'm still stuck with broken car 1000 miles away from home.
      01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnasty View Post
At first I was expecting that I tanked some low quality fuel, but then I realized that Germans wouldn't allow that, so I immediately went to the closest BMW service to find out whats up.
Are you sure it doesn't have to do with bad fuel? Have they checked the fuel pump and quality of fuel?

Please, correct me if I am wrong: I was told that in case of bad fuel, one of the cylinders is -somehow- isolated (the engine runs with 3 cylinders) in order to protect the engine from breaking down.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
DRIVE'R
Private First Class
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim73 View Post
Are you sure it doesn't have to do with bad fuel? Have they checked the fuel pump and quality of fuel?

Please, correct me if I am wrong: I was told that in case of bad fuel, one of the cylinders is -somehow- isolated (the engine runs with 3 cylinders) in order to protect the engine from breaking down.
dont know about that man, I have asked them to check the fuel the first day - not sure if they did though - will ask tomorrow
      01-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Could be a multitude of things, I'm surprised they jumped to "replace ECU" third after checking spark plug and coilpack. My next step would be crankshaft position sensor.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
DRIVE'R
Private First Class
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
Could be a multitude of things, I'm surprised they jumped to "replace ECU" third after checking spark plug and coilpack. My next step would be crankshaft position sensor.
same here, i have a feeling that they still have no idea whats going on.

anyone knows at what point can I ask BMW to replace my car with a new one?
      01-31-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Unfortunately, this is a problem with modern engines
The technicians rely on the car's computers to tell them what's wrong.
They should have down-loaded the engine's run log to see what data the sensors were outputting when it dropped power. That should direct them to the fault or faulty component.

BMW did have some issues with twin spool Turbo's low end spool shattering recently. This can mimic a 3 pot feel as the engine goes into limp mode. For some reason that cannot be fully explained, it usually happens just after you stop and fill up.
I know three poeple here in Aus that this has happen to recently.

In regard to costs, speak to their Operations manager at the dealer where you are to see if BMW will pay for flights to and from home for you. They should be able to arrange to have a loan car made available from your BMW dealer near home. They usually prefer this as it keeps their costs internal with the dealers.

I hope this helps you
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
DRIVE'R
Private First Class
Poland
Rep

My dad compared this problem to the situation with the dream-liners - he is kinda right though, companies are rushing to fast to put out a new technology without testing it properly.

So, Im going back home the day after tomorrow, unfortunately without my car. ECU didn't do nth, and they are still unaware whats going on. They gonna change fuel injectors on monday, but I have a wired feeling that wont help either. This situation is pissing me of so much, this is not the premium service and a product I signed up for... :/
      02-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

I also had that a few times with our N20 engine, never did anything about it actually.
Appreciate 0