BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Do you beep at people who are sleeping at green lights?

03-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Question Do you beep at people who are sleeping at green lights?

I usually give them a couple seconds to wake up, but if I can see they're not paying attention, I'll tap the horn. More often than not around here, that gets the inattentive jackass all riled up. I don't lean on the horn, I just give it a quick tap. Still, it seems to get people seriously upset. What is it with these fools? They're delaying traffic yet they get upset when someone whose time they're wasting brings that fact to their attention. Happened to me this morning. Guy in a pickup truck pulled up in the right turn only lane to a light that had just turned red. Then I could see him looking left at the cross traffic. The light in front of him turned to a green arrow for right turns, but he was still looking left. I tapped the horn and he glared back at me and then sat there glaring like I was the one who was screwing up. I mean WTF? Wake up and drive.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
GAaaAR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

I usually high beam.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I have to say I have never run across this situation.

Perhaps I should put my gorilla mask in the car just in case. Go up and give a tap on the glass.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
ibeclueless
What
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

i have ran into this multiple times and sometimes people doesn't even notice that i am honking at them

My E92 Photos
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
YES I DO!
      03-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Laser McCool
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

when he glares back just give him the finger and go around him... thats what I would do
      03-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

absolutely! and it happens all the time around here....
      03-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Usually not, unless they're like 10 seconds off.
If I don't do it, the person behind me will, lol.
      03-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

I do the same, but I do a quick double-tap. More often than not the person holding everyone up will get offended. My theory is because most folks have a "I'm never wrong" attitude or just the basic "I'm in a car and nobody can get me so I'm now a badass" attitude. I just go along normally after. Pay attention to lights and I won't need to tap the horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser McCool View Post
when he glares back just give him the finger and go around him... thats what I would do
That's a good way to get yourself in a fight, sir. Do that to the wrong person and they're going to chase you down and drag you out of your car. No reason to flip the guy off for no reason, that situation just turned you into the prick.
      03-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

A guy gave me the finger and was yelling obscenities. I got him to pull over. I got out. He didn't. I was ready to beat the snot out of him unfortunately.
All because I did not move forward fast enough at a drive through.

Tough guy with his finger and mouth.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Laser McCool
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post

That's a good way to get yourself in a fight, sir. Do that to the wrong person and they're going to chase you down and drag you out of your car. No reason to flip the guy off for no reason, that situation just turned you into the prick.
if the guy is not following the rules of the road, and then glaring at me then HE is the one being a d therefore it is acceptable to flip him off.. if he has a problem with it he can follow me wherever he wants..
      03-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
I do the same, but I do a quick double-tap. More often than not the person holding everyone up will get offended. My theory is because most folks have a "I'm never wrong" attitude or just the basic "I'm in a car and nobody can get me so I'm now a badass" attitude. I just go along normally after. Pay attention to lights and I won't need to tap the horn.

i saw that once, this guy kept beeping his horn at a huge ford F350 truck and then the guy from the ford gets out and had to have been like 6'10" and all tattoed up, looked like the undertaker, and walks up to the guys car and checks the door to see if it's locked, it was, but the guy beeping was white as a ghost.
      03-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser McCool View Post
if the guy is not following the rules of the road, and then glaring at me then HE is the one being a d therefore it is acceptable to flip him off.. if he has a problem with it he can follow me wherever he wants..
Hey, I was just trying to warn you before something happens. Take it for what it's worth. He may very well have been checking for traffic and missed the green. That's a mistake, it's not him being a D. You flipping him off is being a D. And we're not talking "follow you" - We're talking pin you in and drag you out of your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
A guy gave me the finger and was yelling obscenities. I got him to pull over. I got out. He didn't. I was ready to beat the snot out of him unfortunately.
All because I did not move forward fast enough at a drive through.

Tough guy with his finger and mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
i saw that once, this guy kept beeping his horn at a huge ford F350 truck and then the guy from the ford gets out and had to have been like 6'10" and all tattoed up, looked like the undertaker, and walks up to the guys car and checks the door to see if it's locked, it was, but the guy beeping was white as a ghost.
See? I've done it to others and have friends who've done much worse to others. Don't be a D or it will come back at ya sometime....

Last edited by Spec 1; 03-10-2010 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I *try* not to show any emotion at people when I'm driving, but sometimes it seems as if God is toying with me by putting one slow, inattentive moron after another in my path. My nephew was driving with me once and he commented that it was almost comical how many slugs I run across. He even suggested that I must have pissed God off at some point. I just seem to attract them.

Still, I've beeped and raised a hand (like, WTF??) at someone before only to realize it was a person I worked with. Now that's embarrassing. And the last thing I need is some redneck putz getting all bent out of shape and then driving like an idiot trying to catch me. I had one young punk get pissed and chase me. He got separated from me at one intersection and then he nearly caused 3 accidents trying to catch up to me, running a stop sign and passing in no passing zones. Then he started yelling at *me* for driving dangerously. I got a kick out of that one.

Best bet is to completely ignore the other driver. That really gets their goat and leaves you on the high ground. Not always easy to do, though.

Face it, The Anti-Destination League is alive and well.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I would give them a few seconds as well. If they forget, then I give them a light beep. If I'm seriously in a rush, like if i'm going to shit my pants, and this guy is just holding up traffic for whatever reason, then i would hold my horn down.
      03-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Since we're somewhat on topic now, lol, I had a guy a few weeks ago come from a side street and just roll through the stopsign and into my lane. I was going 45mph and he pulls in doing 15! I gave the guy a quick "Hey, watch what you're doing!" honk as I had to literally swerve into the next lane to avoid hitting him. I pulled back into the lane in front of him and continued on my way.

The guy then made a mistake like Laser McCool would make (lol, sry bro). He accelerated to catch up and then started yelling obscenities at me through the window. He was leaning forward yelling "F this and F that" and had me rolling my eyes. Then he pulled out the finger for an extended amount of time. Mistake. I slammed on the brakes and came to a stop in the middle of the 3 lane road. The guy looked confused, but as I went to get out of my car some other vehicles started honking from behind. I decided it wasn't worth it and got back in and started driving away. This kid really didn't get the picture and thought it was over so he started flipping me off again for no reason and now laughing to himself. Mistake #2. We came to the next red light and I angled my car and parked sideways in the street and trapped him between my car and the truck behind him. Got out at the red light and came after the dude. I ripped the guys door open and he started screaming like a girl. Only thing he could do to avoid getting snatched was drive his little Honda Civic up and over the sidewalk, scratching bumpers and other metal/plastic parts hard, gassing it into traffic around the corner to get away. Ouch, his car will be hurt. Got back in my whip and continued on my original destination... I've got $50 saying he won't flip anyone else off for his own mistake for a while

Last edited by Spec 1; 03-10-2010 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #17
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Since we're somewhat on topic now, lol, I had a guy a few weeks ago come from a side street and just roll through the stopsign and into my lane. I was going 45mph and he pulls in doing 15! I gave the guy a quick "Hey, watch what you're doing!" honk as I had to literally swerve into the next lane to avoid hitting him. I pulled back into the lane in front of him and continued on my way.

The guy then made a mistake like Laser McCool would make (lol, sry bro). He accelerated to catch up and then started yelling obscenities at me through the window. He was leaning forward yelling "F this and F that" and had me rolling my eyes. Then he pulled out the finger for an extended amount of time. Mistake. I slammed on the brakes and came to a stop in the middle of the 3 lane road. The guy looked confused, but as I went to get out of my car some other vehicles started honking from behind. I decided it wasn't worth it and got back in and started driving away. This kid really didn't get the picture and thought it was over so he started flipping me off again for now reason and now laughing to himself. Mistake #2. We came to the next red light and I angled my car and parked sideways in the street and trapped him between my car and the truck behind him. Got out at the red light and came after the dude. I ripped the guys door open and he started screaming like a girl. Only thing he could do to avoid getting snatched was drive his little Honda Civic up and over the sidewalk, scratching bumpers and other metal/plastic parts hard, gassing it into traffic around the corner to get away. Ouch, his car will be hurt. Got back in my whip and continued on my original destination... I've got $50 saying he won't flip anyone else off for his own mistake for a while
LOL nice. he deserved it.
      03-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

5 seconds and i beep, 10 or more and i lay on the horn until they gtfo
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

i tend to flash my high beam once or twice to get their attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:

The guy then made a mistake like Laser McCool would make (lol, sry bro). He accelerated to catch up and then started yelling obscenities at me through the window. He was leaning forward yelling "F this and F that" and had me rolling my eyes. Then he pulled out the finger for an extended amount of time. Mistake. I slammed on the brakes and came to a stop in the middle of the 3 lane road. The guy looked confused, but as I went to get out of my car some other vehicles started honking from behind. I decided it wasn't worth it and got back in and started driving away. This kid really didn't get the picture and thought it was over so he started flipping me off again for no reason and now laughing to himself. Mistake #2. We came to the next red light and I angled my car and parked sideways in the street and trapped him between my car and the truck behind him. Got out at the red light and came after the dude. I ripped the guys door open and he started screaming like a girl. Only thing he could do to avoid getting snatched was drive his little Honda Civic up and over the sidewalk, scratching bumpers and other metal/plastic parts hard, gassing it into traffic around the corner to get away. Ouch, his car will be hurt. Got back in my whip and continued on my original destination... I've got $50 saying he won't flip anyone else off for his own mistake for a while
RIGHT ON!!!!
      03-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
Laser McCool
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hey, I was just trying to warn you before something happens. Take it for what it's worth. He may very well have been checking for traffic and missed the green. That's a mistake, it's not him being a D. You flipping him off is being a D. And we're not talking "follow you" - We're talking pin you in and drag you out of your car.

See? I've done it to others and have friends who've done much worse to others. Don't be a D or it will come back at ya sometime....
LOL I know you dont know me, and to keep myself from looking like an online toughguy I will refrani from commenting on this, however, I dont think I will have any issues with that Thanks..
      03-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #22
Laser McCool
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

LOl no need to apologize to me.. If you would have done that to me it wouldnt have gone down quite the same.. not saying you wouldnt have beat me down(I dont know you, you could be a huge badass) but I am more than willing to back up any of my actions