BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > What do you think of Tesla?

12-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
dencobmw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

What do you think of Tesla?

A co-worker of mine got a Tesla Modal S at the same time that I got my M235i and we've been chatting quite a bit about our new cars. I've ridden in his Tesla a few times and it is a nice car with amusement-park-like-acceleration. Our other co-workers (mostly early to mid-20s people) seem to be much more enamored with his Tesla than with my M235i, which is totally fine. I actually prefer people not pay a lot of attention to my car. But it makes me wonder about the electric car trend and whether we will all be driving electric cars in the future, or letting them drive us!

I mention this because it seems kind of sad to me somehow. Sure the instant torque and crazy acceleration of an electric car are really fun, but otherwise the car seems rather lifeless. There are no theatrics or driver engagement. Could an electric car ever give the feeling of pure joy that I had this weekend driving my M235i fast on some desolate winding mountain roads? Even if Active Sound is fake sound, it still adds tremendously to the experience.

Other observations about the Tesla. They're huge. Truly a gigantic barge. The new Model X looks even more enormous. The interior is very nice...leather wrapped everything and some nice alcantera touches but there is no character or design. Maybe it's because there is no center console or dash board (other than a giant screen), but the whole thing seems very utilitarian.

Anyone have any thoughts about driving a fire breathing BMW vs. a slick, fast, silent electric car?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

Cars like the Tesla are the future, but for a segment of the population, the future is not so great, and we try to hold on to the driving experience we love through older cars. This is why some cars become classics. For me, cars peaked in the previous decade. For some older folks, in the 60s and 70s.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Early 20 years old buying Tesla already? Is this company some kind of Trust Fund Babies Hedge Fund?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
dencobmw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
Early 20 years old buying Tesla already? Is this company some kind of Trust Fund Babies Hedge Fund?
Software Engineers. But most people at the company drive Hyundais and Subarus.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencobmw View Post
Software Engineers. But most people at the company drive Hyundais and Subarus.
I am Software Engineer too. Most people in the company have no interest in cars. Tesla interests them because of the huge builtin ipad.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

I'm sure they're great dailies but not a car for me. Too big, heavy, and lifeless. They're also a dime a dozen around the DC area.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Tesla had a bunch of test drive models at this year's Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance weekend and I gotta admit that the one I took for a spin was a hoot to drive. Insanely fast and technology out the ying-yang - and the handling/performance felt very BMW-like.
If they had a ragtop the size of the 2er at a price point of a 2er, I'd certainly give it serious consideration.
      12-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

It doesn't build a car I'd be interesting in owning. I'm not sure it ever will -- its freely admitted that its original car, the Roadster, was basically a test mule that it decided to sell to people, and that the company has little interest in building a small high-performance car like that again.

FWIW, while Teslas are lauded by many for their performance, function, and aesthetics (as well as the company's transparency -- take that, future Apple Car!), they are also on track to be among the least-reliable American-made cars in history.

Also, keep in mind that Tesla is a very young company, and its long-term interests lie far beyond car manufacturing. In fact, if I were a betting man, I'd wager that if its other interests are even moderately successful, Tesla will be out of the car-building business in a generation's time.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Man...I use the think like you. I am within a couple of years of 50. The world has changed. Use to be the old man was the CEO and had a bunch of young folks working to get to his level. Not anymore. 20 somethings are the bosses and old folks work for them.
The computer age changed the world. I had to leave that cynical view behind thinking young folks with expensive stuff were spoiled rich kids. Many are just smart and winning in business. Kudos to them!
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I find the idea of owning a very high performance, 100% electric car quite appealing.

Reliability and quality issues aside, my biggest objection at the moment is the Tesla's relatively short range and the scattered charge stations, not to mention long charging times.

Of course, those willing to pop for the big bill can have their entire battery pack replaced fairly quickly at the charging stations, if recall correctly.

http://fortune.com/2015/10/23/tesla-...s-reliability/

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...e-no-surprise/

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #11
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I agree that the biggest problem with both the Tesla and an i3 is range. You can't really take either one on a road trip like you can with our 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #12
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Yeah lifeless is not a word I would use to describe them..... unless the battery has run down.

Having said they they evoke as much emotion in me as a vacuum cleaner does. Give me suck squish bang blow any day.
      12-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #13
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
I am 25 and I would not even consider trading my M235i in for a Tesla. It's like most people already stated: heavy, no real feeling. I don't drive a car for the built-in iPAD.

And for the record, I paid for the car myself, no spoiling parents involved there :P

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I think I see one on a flatbed being hauled off at least once a month.

Seriously though, I like what's good about them and that's the instant torque. As a software engineer myself I also like the tech. That's where it ends for me though. That car is just too big for me. I am interested in seeing what their Model 3 will be like, but I doubt I'd consider trading a 235 for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #15
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

This is definitely the future. VW next generation of golf will be electric... So that has spread to lower car segments already, it won't be long till hot hatches being electric, that's the logical step... They can't really go lower than 2l turbo producing 300hp+

I like the idea of instant power... What more can you want? people tune and tweak all they like now and can't get what tesla can do off the line...

Sound is the only problem for me.. I hear companies are working on have fake exhaust note outside of the car... Will see what that is like
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I agree that the biggest problem with both the Tesla and an i3 is range. You can't really take either one on a road trip like you can with our 2 series.
The i3 can include a range extender, and the Tesla supercharger network covers virtually all of the major US interstate corridors.

https://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/...h=supercharger

Unless you are making a high speed run into North Dakota, Nebraska or Arkansas the Tesla easily has enough range for any US (or central european) road trip.

If you live in some other part of the world, thats another story.

All of the main office buildings at my company have put in several free electric chargers as well, so that beats the cost of charging it yourself.

The Tesla is not a 2 series competitor, so to say you like your 2 series handling better...well duh.

But go out and drive a 5 series and you may question if the Tesla is "floaty" or "perfectly acceptable" for the average car buyer who wants a luxury sedan.

BMW enthusiasts, guys who own E30 Tshirts obviously are not the market for this car. We want mechanical steering, no ABS, and all that jazz. But as mentioned, the average upper middle class lawyer or software developer would rather show off their gadget, and be amused by the consistent tech upgrades it gets given "hey look, my car drives itself!"

The Tesla suffers from a number of quality problems - the aluminum suspension bits are prone to crack under big potholes, which isn't much of an issue for those in LA but certainly a problem for people here in the Northeast. A local shop is constantly replacing cracked control arms. The interior quality isn't great either, which is a result of lower run manufacturing.

With that said, us BMW owners would be ignorant if we didn't remember the good old days of HPFP failures, subframe bushings and DCT replacements. No cars are perfect (except maybe Toyotas).

Either way though, if I could afford one, I'd love a Tesla. BMW will eventually come out with it's mainstream 3 series electric competitor, but until it does Tesla deserves a ton of respect for building an iPad with a rocket motor strapped underneath and completely changing the American acceptance of the electric car. (Something the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf certainly did not do).
      12-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #17
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Tesla deserves a ton of respect for building an iPad with a rocket motor strapped underneath and completely changing the American acceptance of the electric car. (Something the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf certainly did not do).
True 'dat. Tesla is to be admired and respected for what it's achieved in what is essentially a startup's timetable (I make the comparison to Uber often to people I discuss Tesla with). The scale of the infrastructure it's built already is stupid impressive.

What all that comes growing pains -- as well as the need to prioritize what it builds, markets, and sells. Realize that its car business is a conduit to larger goals that involve renewable energy on a global and potentially governmental scale. Tesla is, fundamentally, not a carmaker; it's an energy company that happens to be using cars as a means to develop something much larger and much more important.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

I'm intrigued by the Tesla but I live in a city with no charging possibilities near me. So even if they came out with a smaller and more affordable model that would appeal, I couldn't charge it. Pity.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #19
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
I'm intrigued by the Tesla but I live in a city with no charging possibilities near me. So even if they came out with a smaller and more affordable model that would appeal, I couldn't charge it. Pity.
Infrastructure improves monthly. If you live in a garage-less apartment with on street parking, then any electric car is likely a no-go.

I would consider electric charging the same way people used to think of cell phone coverage. What used to be spotty is now ubiquitously available. I expect within 5-10 years that coverage will greatly expand to address people who can't charge in their garage. I would not be surprised to see one of the major gas station chains to start adding EV charging stations as time goes forward. Someone eventually stops thinking like dinosaurs and realizes there is profit to be made.
      12-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #20
arun21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

Tesla employee here. 2er owner. The future for EVs is just getting started. Love my 2 but my next car will be a model 3!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #21
Rsquared71
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

co-worker and I went on a business trip for a week from DC to Philadelphia. I in my 235 and him driving his Tesla. I got there in 2.5 hours and no gas stop while he took four hours with a mandatory 1 hour stop for charging. Then, he asked if we could take my car from hotel to work every day so he could save his charge to get him back to the nearest charging station! I topped off as we left work the last day and made it home with gas to spare. I didn't bother to stick around and see if he made it home.

Until they get a battery that matches the range of an average car and charging stations galore, I'll keep my beautiful, perfect, totally fun, dinosaur burning, and awesome M235!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #22
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsquared71 View Post
co-worker and I went on a business trip for a week from DC to Philadelphia. I in my 235 and him driving his Tesla. I got there in 2.5 hours and no gas stop while he took four hours with a mandatory 1 hour stop for charging. Then, he asked if we could take my car from hotel to work every day so he could save his charge to get him back to the nearest charging station! I topped off as we left work the last day and made it home with gas to spare. I didn't bother to stick around and see if he made it home.

Until they get a battery that matches the range of an average car and charging stations galore, I'll keep my beautiful, perfect, totally fun, dinosaur burning, and awesome M235!
I don't get this, unless he was driving a 60KW model and this was years ago (which as mentioned, the infrastructure continues to improve) this story doesn't line up.

-It's ~150 miles from inside the beltway to Philly. Even a 60kW Tesla being driven in traffic like a jerk should make that with ease, even if it included his morning commute. If this was in the freezing cold or some other circumstances fine, but the car should still make it if driven conservatively.

-There is no such thing as a "mandatory" one hour stop, especially if you use a supercharger (there is 1 directly off I95 between Philly and DC). An 80% charge takes about 30 minutes, and assuming he left his house with the car mostly charged, there's no way he'd use that much battery to require an hour.

-There are currently hundreds of "slow" charging stations along the way and in the two cities.

-If there wasn't one near the hotel, then fine - carpooling it is.

If it was a series of events (cold weather, bumper to bumper traffic, he lives 100 mph from work and didn't charge the car the night before) then that's one thing, but it shouldn't represent the car overall.

I have a friend with a P85 who routinely drives from the DC area to our college town of Blacksburg VA which is right around the ~270mile claimed range of the P85. He has made it every time with a combination of sensible driving and regenerative braking being able to pull juice back into the batteries as he roams up and down the mountains on I81.

Again I get it, it's not a car for everyone (and should not even be considered for comparison given the fact that it's starting price is 2X - like comparing a Civic to a GTR) - but as battery technology improves, costs come down and the quality improves the world should be thankful that we have somebody looking out for our interests once the dinosaur juice gets used up (which if you're my age, will happen in our lifetime).

If you're old...then burn it all and let your grand kids worry about it.