BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > No handbrake after dealer visit

02-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

No handbrake after dealer visit

Took the car into local dealers Friday to sort out the squealing brakes at low speed, they said I would have to pay as only this is covered for 1st 1000 miles only, I did argue that it has been like this since delivery, anyhow they agreed to look at and no charge, kind of them

Outcome on collection was they have stripped and cleaned brakes, so far so good. Drove home was getting late parked the car on the drive handbrake on, switch off and it started to roll backwards. I know sometimes you apply handbreak and a few inches of movement and breaks bite on, no this was rolling like a good un. Tried today on flat surface, handbrake full on and you can just drive off with no resistance, also later on today was in Tesco car park and heard a loud bang from rear like something fell off, can’t see anything.

Called dealer to explain, they deny that this is to do with the visit last week, not very helpful at all. Will be a week on Wednesday before they can fit in. Carrying a brick round in the boot to chock the bugger up.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

That sucks mate. I know what u mean about the rock, it's abit disconcerting at times. About the bang; I've had that before. Put the handbrake on as usual, got out the car and then a Big Bang, sounded like it came from the back end of the car. When I got back into the car, the handbrake had dropped abit. I think the bang was the handbrake not being engaged on the ratchet properly and slipping off. Only had this twice, I just give the handbrake lever a tug now to make sure it's on properly. Not sure what to recommend, the garage had to have done something, I would persist with this, maybe the cable just needs retensioning.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

Phone the BMW assist and insist they recover the car back to a dealer (ideally a different one) you'll get a courtesy car and get it fixed....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Phone the BMW assist and insist they recover the car back to a dealer (ideally a different one) you'll get a courtesy car and get it fixed....
+1

Would also be good to know which dealer it was, name and shame once it's all sorted!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Hey dreamweaver, any update on what the problem was?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Not taken it in yet, was booked for last Thursday but had to cancel as work was busy, I have rebooked for this Saturday after a bit of a row with there service dept, telling me they only do mot and service on Saturday.

Regarding the handbrake, no still not working carrying a house brick with me to chock up when parked. The Garage is Williams Bolton, to be honest they are a bit of a joke. They always seem to argue the toss when you have a fault, i.e. not covered by warranty, only to tell you they have cleaned your car for you will beaming smiles.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Finally some time to get the car in, Dropped off 08:30 went home, call from them at 11, need to keep car till Monday as parts on order, I asked them what was needed, " oh some brake parts" I then asked to speak with the technician, apparently the handbrake shoe on the passenger side has been destroyed and have broke off the hub, This must of been the loud bang I herd So I ask that since you last had it for the brakes fault last week the handbrake stopped working, they wont admit to anything. I think they had forgotten to assemble the brakes and are now covering there own back.

Anyhow got a f31 bus from them, might send a email to BMW to let them know what shoddy dealers they have on there books.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

Sent the email... Tweet and Facebook... Also when you get the satisfaction survey make sure it's all ones!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Sent the email... Tweet and Facebook... Also when you get the satisfaction survey make sure it's all ones!!!!!
Talking to BMW UK won't do anything, they don't really care

It is worth contacting the Dealer Principal and talking to him about it.

I would also suggest holding off naming and shaming until after it's been fixed properly
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
prefsgaard
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D F20

nice
Appreciate 0