BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > impeza to m135i

01-02-2014, 03:14 AM   #1
tombo
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Impreza WRX

impeza to m135i

Hi all

this is my first post on the forum..

My subaru has been great car, 6 years and 100k but now and i need something new. So i have signed a lease on an m135i. Its going to be a completely different drive to the impreza more power but less grip and way more refined.
Only problem i have to wait till March to get it

Its a minimal spec 5 door white manual i added business media because i wanted to make sure my iphone would work with it but i am still not convinced i needed it
The way i was thinking as its a lease i wanted minimum cost, if I specced it up I would be just making a nicer car for the next owner.

But now i am feeling some configuration remorse should i have gone for the auto box, i could prabably change the spec if i call the dealer this week

Also do these cars have an engine start button or is switched on with a key its impossible to find out via bmw website

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
Hi, congrats on your new car!
All new bmw start with the push of a button. The key you leave just in your pocket(keyless go) this is a standard feature.
As for the tranny, this is a purely personal choice. There have probably already been tons of posts about this. I learnd that the choice is in the end one only you can make. Its a fact that the sport auto transmission is fenomenal and one of the best you can get, possibly rivalling the one you can get in the real M cars(dct??). But for me, I would only ever buy a manual transmission, because of the driving involvement it gives me. Try figuring out what you will use the car most for, every day 60km commute in heavy traffic=AT; lots of back road driving, possibly long commute but on calm roads or at night time= MT.
As for the busines navi you optioned, you dont need it to work with the iphone. The standard prof radio will do fine and give you an idrive controller that works exellent. You do need the extended bluetooth option though to get music streaming over bluetooth. Otherwise the BT is just for calls and youl be using cables for the iPhone music.

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombo
Hi all

this is my first post on the forum..

My subaru has been great car, 6 years and 100k but now and i need something new. So i have signed a lease on an m135i. Its going to be a completely different drive to the impreza more power but less grip and way more refined.
Only problem i have to wait till March to get it

Its a minimal spec 5 door white manual i added business media because i wanted to make sure my iphone would work with it but i am still not convinced i needed it
The way i was thinking as its a lease i wanted minimum cost, if I specced it up I would be just making a nicer car for the next owner.

But now i am feeling some configuration remorse should i have gone for the auto box, i could prabably change the spec if i call the dealer this week

Also do these cars have an engine start button or is switched on with a key its impossible to find out via bmw website

Cheers
Congrats on the car,
It will be nice to hear your comparison of the m135i to the impreza when you do get it.

Car is push button start, I think bus media spec can be a little disappointing, it's either worth going the whole way I not at all IMO.

I took the auto box after only having manuals. I would still like to drive a manual 135 see what it's like but the type of driving I do an auto suits best.

The wait is a killer, I got mine sept and there has barely been a dry day, can't really say I've opened it up properly, atleast there's a nice surprise for the summer!
Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:41 AM   #4
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
Oh yeah, good luck on the wait! It'll be totally worth it in the end

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:42 AM   #5
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

It's got a button for start.

Auto is good if you're stuck in traffic a lot, or does buncha highway. At 100-ish km/h auto goes at around 1500 rpm, manual goes 2500 rpm or so, saves fuel. Otherwise if manual is important to you then get the manual.

I got the manual, stuck in traffic, have never regretted it, but it's just me.

~cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:52 AM   #6
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Sounds like you have not test driven the M135i?

I make the assumption if you didn't start or stop the engine...

Your car is still spec changeable up to just before the build week so if I were you, get a test drive in both manual and auto to make sure you have made the right choice... still plenty of time
      01-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #7
tombo
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies..

sooteyvrs nope never driven a 135 i did test a 116d and i was very impressed and it can only improve with a dose more BHP
I can't remember when i tested the car if it had a start button i don't think that it did, Not sure i'll get used to it, but it sounds cool so where does the key go?

Currently i have a cheap sony radio in the impreza, it looks like its a prop from a transformer movie and not as easy to understand. But what it does do very well is bluetooth. I stream music, podcasts & audibooks etc i hardly ever listen to the radio and have never used the CD.

I also use my phone as a satnav, so my reasoning for the business media is that with my phone nestled in the centre console i will need a navigation system since i won't be able to look at the phone

It surprises me that info on this is so difficult to find my local dealer didn't have a clue they have no idea how a modern smart phone is used

Ill probably have a load more questions, the new car is all i can think about at the moment, i need to get back to work on monday to take my mind off it

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:20 AM   #8
GeoBem007
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i

I'd go to another dealer if I were you.

All current and previous generation BMW's have start buttons.
Current generation allows you to leave your key in your pocket (or in a specially foreseen holder in the cupholder).

You can hook up a cable to the USB port in the armrest. It's enough for the phone's connection to the media system. I use one simple Apple Lightning cable for my iPhone and everything works. Except the phone-use itself (messages and calls), that goes over BT.
Don't know what option you require for that, as I have both the Professional Media as the Bluetooth connection and Music connection.

You should really get a test drive at a dealer who is more up to date on everything and can guide you through the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
Auto is good if you're stuck in traffic a lot, or does buncha highway. At 100-ish km/h auto goes at around 1500 rpm, manual goes 2500 rpm or so, saves fuel.
Really? Our manual 116i has 2000 RPM at 100 km/h in sixth gear.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

I've got standard BT in my m135i as i refused to pay £450 for ext BT.

I use a kenu phone holder and stream my music spotify & iTunes by plugging a ycable in the armrest with a Tune2air BT device.

You hook up with both the car and tune2air together via BT and it works flawlessly. No messy looking aux cable running up to the dash and the sound is brilliant.

I also use my phone for google maps and if I'm listening to spotify google maps audio kicks in briefly over the music when giving audio directions. Take or make a call and as soon as its ended the music kicks back in.

Tune2air (amazon) £60 kenu phone holder £20 genuine BMW Ycable eBay £20.

Also list track info on the dash display, best £90 I've spent!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I think the auto is a really wonderful experience in the M135i...and I am (or was) a devout manual driver. But it is a matter of personal taste. Cruising, the tachometer shows just over 2,000 rpm at an indicated 120kph in 8th. That is just one aspect. I like rapping it through the gears in Sports mode....lovely!

As for iPhone 5, b/t etc...I recommend the extended B/t, mainly because that seems to be the minimum configuration to get album art display and the steering wheel controls to work. I think the second hand market will become quite discerning about this, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #12
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Only displays artwork through iTunes which is a dying breed of music download.

Most are now using spotify which won't show artwork. If you want to put another £350 in BMW pocket for no real reason be my guest!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
tombo
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

called the leasing company and i can't change the spec without scrapping the deal and working from the 2014 price list. I got a stonking price so i'll leave it as is

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Really? Our manual 116i has 2000 RPM at 100 km/h in sixth gear.
Yup
@ 110 km/h 2400rpm @ sixth
@ 110 km/h 2800rpm @ fifth

Speed set with cruise control~

No scientific instrument was employed for the test, apart for the car and just me eyes
Appreciate 0