BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > WTF is the matter with some poeple at my work?!?!?!

03-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #45
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
We have a place called Steak-N-Shake here, and would always go on a Friday or Saturday night after a night of drinking. There was one in particular where everyone went - they got so fed up with the drunk kids that if even one person at your table didn't order anything, EVERYONE had to leave.
beh, wanted to try steak n shake when i went to st. louis since we don't have them on the west coast but couldn't find the time to try it. *sigh* isn't that place a fast food joint?

if i were fast food, i'd welcome drunk people.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #46
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
I'm going against the grain and say you seem a bit stuck up if you can't hang with him just cause he has his own food. While it's certainly unusual, if the guy isn't demanding additional service and he's just sitting there eating his food, let him be. Yeesh. Maybe have the guy pony up $1-2 on the tip (for his water) and call it good. A higher end restaurant, maybe not, but you're going to Chik-Fil-A? lol.

1) Maybe the guy doesn't want to spend $12/day or $230/mo on lunch. He still wants companionship while he eats lunch. It's not his fault you guys have to hit a restaurant every day. Let the guy be.

2) Maybe he's on a diet. The first thing I do when I'm trying to get in shape is stop eating out. I bring my own food and snacks with me wherever I go so I know I'm eating healthy. If my friend wanted to stop at a restaurant and I wasn't hungry, I'd sure as hell sit down with him and maybe snack on a gronola bar while I waited for him.

I wouldn't have a problem with it.

It happened somewhat often when I lived in Missouri. Never thought somebody (let alone a number of people, judging from this thread) would literally try to pay off a server to tell their coworker, who's trying to be friends with them, that he's not allowed to eat his own food. I cna understand if y'all are at The Melting Pot or Ruth Chris, but if you're at Chik-Fil-A???? Comeon!!!! Seems a bit pompous on y'alls end to me.
I agree with you...get off your pedestal and don't worry about what other people do...
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #47
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

If you're eating at like McD's or something I don't think it's a big deal, but if it's a place with actual servers, I think it's a little odd. Although, it seems like you just think the kid is annoying and you want an excuse to get rid of him. Whatever you decide to do though, don't be passive-agressive about it (ie sneaking out the back door) just confront him and tell him you think it's rude.
      03-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #48
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
I'm going against the grain and say you seem a bit stuck up if you can't hang with him just cause he has his own food. While it's certainly unusual, if the guy isn't demanding additional service and he's just sitting there eating his food, let him be. Yeesh. Maybe have the guy pony up $1-2 on the tip (for his water) and call it good. A higher end restaurant, maybe not, but you're going to Chik-Fil-A? lol.

1) Maybe the guy doesn't want to spend $12/day or $230/mo on lunch. He still wants companionship while he eats lunch. It's not his fault you guys have to hit a restaurant every day. Let the guy be.

2) Maybe he's on a diet. The first thing I do when I'm trying to get in shape is stop eating out. I bring my own food and snacks with me wherever I go so I know I'm eating healthy. If my friend wanted to stop at a restaurant and I wasn't hungry, I'd sure as hell sit down with him and maybe snack on a gronola bar while I waited for him.

I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Truthfully I don't know how I'd feel about it. I mean if it happens often then I would feel weird. To me it's like bringing a BMW to a MBZ dealership for service; or calling Burton and ask questions about Lib Tech boards: or bringing eating See's candies at a Hershey factory. It's not THAT big of a deal but it's a little weird. Have you ever seen anyone bringing a can full of gas to a gas station and fill your car up there. Sure you could do that if you want to but come on!!

I figured the guy was just trying to make friends and hang out with his co-workers but the way he approached it wasn't the best way. I would probably pony up and eat with them a few times (every now and then) and just eat the lunch he brings at work. If it's little a little burger place or something like that I wouldn't feel weird. However, if it's at a place where people actually serve you then yes, it would be pretty weird.

OP- like I said, it's better to just talk to him. Let him know that there's no hard feelings and it's not like you guys don't wanna hang out with him. It's just that sometimes, SOMETIMES, when you go to an actual restaurant it's a little strange for him to bring his own food.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #49
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

I don't think its wrong so much as socially awkward... :S
      03-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #50
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

So, what he's saying is that he thinks you all are chumps for "wasting" money going out to eat?

It's what you all like to do and if he wants to hang, he should pony up if he wants to impose on your group of friends.
      03-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #51
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

i would've done it... he needs to be told.
      03-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #52
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Meh. Chilis or Ruby Tuesdays I wouldn't exactly call classy joints in the first place. Still wouldn't bother me if someone wanted to eat their own food while my other two buddies and I ate ours.... Y'all are weird.
You are on your own little island out there in Oregon. My sister went to U of O and I have never met so many awkward/strange people during a 4 day period in my entire life. I witnessed, on three separate occasions, meth addicts being carted off by ambulances. I heard it is a Eugene thing, but either way, you guys are a different breed, some really earthy people.

Bringing food into any restaurant that provides a server is completely unacceptable. There is no arguing this. It is rude and completely ignorant to the environment you have entered. If you owned a restaurant, would you want a non-paying customer entering your establishment to eat his lunch and leave you to clean up after him without any type of re-reimbursement? No, you wouldn't. It is the same as walking into a random person's home and sitting down to a meal at their dining table, and walking out when you are done. You have no business in that person's home, just as you have no business in the eating establishment.

Any argument otherwise is both ignorant and self-serving. Tell the guy he doesn't have to join you every day, but he is making you all uncomfortable. There are ways of being truthful without being hurtful.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #53
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

subscribed (sorry, brought my own popcorn, do they sell that here?)
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #54
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoochio View Post
subscribed (sorry, brought my own popcorn, do they sell that here?)

Hey, I'm the Popcorn King. I have a lot of for sale.

I accept Paypal.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #55
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
Just tell him straight up man.

Be like buddy, we don't mind you coming out with us... but you gotta stop bringing your own food!

Serious. I think there's something wrong with that kid. Straighten him up.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #56
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
beh, wanted to try steak n shake when i went to st. louis since we don't have them on the west coast but couldn't find the time to try it. *sigh* isn't that place a fast food joint?

I'd probably classify it as fast food, although they do have a pretty big menu. Some have drive-throughs, some don't. I'm trying to think of another place like it.....

It's greasy goodness though!

OP - what did you decide to say/do?
      03-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #57
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
You are on your own little island out there in Oregon. My sister went to U of O and I have never met so many awkward/strange people during a 4 day period in my entire life. I witnessed, on three separate occasions, meth addicts being carted off by ambulances. I heard it is a Eugene thing, but either way, you guys are a different breed, some really earthy people.

Bringing food into any restaurant that provides a server is completely unacceptable. There is no arguing this. It is rude and completely ignorant to the environment you have entered. If you owned a restaurant, would you want a non-paying customer entering your establishment to eat his lunch and leave you to clean up after him without any type of re-reimbursement? No, you wouldn't. It is the same as walking into a random person's home and sitting down to a meal at their dining table, and walking out when you are done. You have no business in that person's home, just as you have no business in the eating establishment.

Any argument otherwise is both ignorant and self-serving. Tell the guy he doesn't have to join you every day, but he is making you all uncomfortable. There are ways of being truthful without being hurtful.
Ha. While I do agree Oregon (and the entire Northwest for that matter) has some interesting folks, I disagree with your logic. If I owned a restaurant, it'd be fine. He's not causing harm. He's coming as part of a group where THREE others are purchasing my food. I'm in no way being negatively impacted by him sitting in a chair. It may be different if the guy came in by himself but that's not the case. I am making profit from the 3 guys buying my food, and could lose their business if I kicked out their friend who was with them, just not eating my food. So he wants a water? So what? Have two! Water's free, bro.

I fail to connect it to walking into a random persons house and eating their food, lol. Little bit different, my friend.... but then again I'm just "ignorant and self serving".
      03-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #58
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

"sitting down to a meal at their dining table".... you added their food..

Now if you go into their home and eat your food.... Wow.. not so different..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #59
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
You know how some restaurants add in the tips if there's more than a certain number of people? (usually around 6-8). Pick a restaurant that does that and have him be the last person. That way when the tip comes out tell him he's gotta pay. I mean they still count him regardless if he orders there or not. It's kinda messed up though so perhaps just try talking to him first?

BTW is it weird that when I read your post and came to the age range part, the first thing I thought of was 24-70mm when I read the "24" part??
My friend, you seems to have an addiction going here.
      03-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #60
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha. While I do agree Oregon (and the entire Northwest for that matter) has some interesting folks, I disagree with your logic. If I owned a restaurant, it'd be fine. He's not causing harm. He's coming as part of a group where THREE others are purchasing my food. I'm in no way being negatively impacted by him sitting in a chair. It may be different if the guy came in by himself but that's not the case. I am making profit from the 3 guys buying my food, and could lose their business if I kicked out their friend who was with them, just not eating my food. So he wants a water? So what? Have two! Water's free, bro.

I fail to connect it to walking into a random persons house and eating their food, lol. Little bit different, my friend.... but then again I'm just "ignorant and self serving".
You just basically said the restaurant should suck it up and clean after the guy and serve him water because his 'friends' are paying customers. Maybe the restaurant will allow it becuase they're afraid of offending the paying customers, but that's still infringing on the restaurant's hospitality. Do you not think homemade lunch boy is making the situation more awkward for everyone involved? What about the server who needs to bring him water without tip, or the busboy who needs to clean up after him. Not very fair to them, is it? Also, the water may be free, but the labor needed to serve the drink, and clean the cup isn't free; I might sound petty, but what if EVERY table brought an extra friend to dine with them? What if one of OP's usual lunch crowd couldn't make it? They could have sat as a 2 top instead of wasting a larger table for home lunch.

I don't know how you don't get the analogy of walking into someone else's home to eat lunch. In basically all hospitality establishments, the customers are refered to as "guests." In a hotel you are liable for your guests as if they were staying at your house. I assume the restaurant is just as liable. In another stupid but possible senario, what if the home lunch guy choked on his home made lunch; should the restaurant have to deal with that?

I respect your opinion spec, and maybe I'm speaking out of my ass but I just don't understand how you can think bringing a home lunch ISN'T in some way infringing on the restaurant. Heck, some establishments even say "restroom is for paying guests only." That pretty much defeats your free water argument as water ISN'T FREE.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #61
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MC-G View Post
I said that we go to all sorts of places (usually depends on how much time we have and the work load). Anything from a Chik-Fil-A to something like a Chili's/Ruby Tuesdays/Mackey's it all depends and changes everyday.
oh god

i love chik fil a so much

but the nearest one is over 50 miles away

curse you, california
      03-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #62
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
oh god

i love chik fil a so much

but the nearest one is over 50 miles away

curse you, california
they just built one a few miles from where i live hardly ever go, but the sauce is boss! they also need to open on sundays...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #63
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
they just built one a few miles from where i live hardly ever go, but the sauce is boss! they also need to open on sundays...
where is it?

they definitely won't be open on sunday. the owner of chik fil a is -very- religious. he's a pretty interesting guy, very well known in atlanta.

Anyway, back on topic .

OP, you should also tell your coworker that what he's doing is unprofessional. Not the fact that he brings his lunch, but the fact he takes it to restaurants like that is bush league. if he's on the job then he's representing your company.

Also, if someone told me I was 'wasting my money' on buying lunch every day yet insisted on hanging out with me when I went out, I'd be a little insulted by that.
      03-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #64
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
ask him if you had a business lunch if he would bring his own lunch
      03-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #65
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:

It's not fast food because you have a server, but it does have a drive thru. It's a 24 hour place, and when I was in high school the one by me was always a hangout for drunk and or extremely annoying teenagers.

Your buddy bringing a bag lunch to chili's is just fucking weird. If some new guy here came out to lunch with me and some of the other guys and brought his bag lunch I would make fun of him mercilessly and tell everyone at work how weird he is also.

BTW...you're not an actuary also are you? This sounds like something a socially retarded, cheap ass actuary would do.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #66
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
My friend, you seems to have an addiction going here.
it's a horrible addiction. The last time I checked there's no cure for it.
Appreciate 0