BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Next Generation of 1-series - Hatchback, Coupe, Convertible and more...

02-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #23
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
I have test driven the latest GTI and it is really a great car - a benchmark for the class - quality materials, great exhaust note, a psuedo LSD and roomy for a subcompact. The soon to be released R20 with 260HP and AWD will be a blast. I started driving with Mk1,2 GTIs out of college and moved to BMWs with my E30M3 in the early 90's.

I would love to buy a RWD 5dr BMW 1 series with a 200+HP engine. The Mini is too small in the back seat and the clubman is not my style. The current 1 series coupe doesn't have enought back seat room and is too expensive.

Sadly, I don't see BMW bringing anything to the US that competes.

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #24
Coni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm View Post
I'm with you... I wouldn't buy a FWD BMW, but I'm sure the sales will be just fine.

There was also a time when BMW represented "lightweight"... not so much anymore (mostly out of their control due to safety standards increasing). Also, there was a time when the thought of a BMW SUV (sorry, SAV) was unthinkable.

To me, BMW has always been about a driving experience - one you don't get in any other brand. A big part of that has been because of the RWD, balance, steering, etc... - but because of the joy I get from the brand in general, I would have no problem driving an X5 - or for that matter, a FWD 2-seater. But for the pure BMW experience, I'll drive my M3 of course.

My point is simply to stop the RWD/FWD whining just as people have now started to accept SAVs as part of the brand we love.
I think I see where our opinions differ. To you, BMW represents driving feel, to me, and I would assume to antzcrashing, BMW represents the components behind that driving feel. While I am not going to argue that BMW is still lightweight (as I would be wrong ) I still think that you cannot get that intrinsic BMW-ness without RWD. There's just something so proper about a smaller displacement BMW engine paired with RWD.

As for your other point, I do not agree at all. You are saying that just because BMW changed, we shouldn't object at all. If BMW is doing something wrong in our eyes (I am talking about the enthusiasts, the people who know BMW better than most) then it is our duty to object. We shouldn't just silently take it while BMW makes bad decision after bad decision. They won't even know they're making bad decisions if no one raises some concerns! Although I do concede that quite a few people on here do whine and bleat for any reason (omg BMW are adding turn indicators to the mirrors!!!), and quite a few of them wouldn't even notice if their car was FWD, it doesn't mean that they don't have some validity in complaining.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:18 AM   #25
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
That front end doesn't look good at all.
I agree, looks strange. Looks like they are going back to their roots :-)
Attached Images

Last edited by Touring; 02-15-2011 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #26
Strykaas
Private
Rep
Drives: Renault 25

Those headlights are just too big !
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #27
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
I like that! I think it will work. A3 looks good and it would be nice match up with this model.Wish the head lights were a lil smaller or thiner, it would make the body stand out a bit more when viewing the car from front and front side.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #28
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I don't get the competing with VW Golf comment either. Audi shipped the A3 hatch here, so they're competing against themselves? I think a 1-series hatch would compete with the A3. Although I understand that might be a small market, it's one I'm interested in and if I haven't already pulled the trigger on a new car I'll be looking at the next gen A3 when it arrives.

As gas prices go up I think people will be taking a harder look at hatches and wagons and wont default to SUVs (or SAVs or whatever silly name you want to come up with for an overweight overly tall car). Guess they will be shopping Audi/VW because BMW has abandoned that market.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #29
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpippolo View Post
As gas prices go up I think people will be taking a harder look at hatches and wagons and wont default to SUVs (or SAVs or whatever silly name you want to come up with for an overweight overly tall car). Guess they will be shopping Audi/VW because BMW has abandoned that market.
BMW plans to sell the 3 series hatch back (GT) here, and I would not be surprised to see the FWD 1 series GT sold here either. Time will tell how well the market receives these vehicles vs. a traditional wagon or 5 door hatchback.
Appreciate 0