BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Which would you rather have? BMW i8 or Audi R8 (MKII)
View Poll Results: BMW i8 or Audi R8 (MKII)
BMW i8 101 25.31%
Audi R8 (MKII) 298 74.69%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

06-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #243
Crescendo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Not even a question!!

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #244
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coincident View Post
My point is a simple one. If I was asked which vehicle I would choose between a Dodge Caravan or the Honda Odyssey, I would not offer an opinion since I have not driven either of them. My opinion on this topic would be useless. That is my point.Your opinion is of no value between the R8 and the i8 if you have not driven both or either of them.

Your comment about the Porsche was very unclear. You stated the 911 was" undeniably more boring choice". It is very NOT undeniable. Many, including the 30000 buyers of 911s sold last year would be deniers.
I think you should start your own thread and put down all of the rules you want for responses, until then you are a participant in someone else's thread no different than anyone else. Yes you can read about something, look at it and have some type of opinion on it that someone else may or may not think is valid.

I would not want a newly designed BMW with both an electric and gas engine as I think the chances of having a lot of expensive problems with it are too high (first a hassle under warranty then it is all my issue). Which part of my opinion on this car do you disagree with? Is my opinion not valid or can you prove it wrong?
      06-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #245
coincident
Rep
Drives: Porsche Turbo S Cab

Your opinion, which is at this stage, pure speculation, applies to any new model of vehicle. Those are valid concerns but the question posed on this thread was which car you would choose. While there are many factors to be considered in the purchase of any vehicle, the single most important in a high performance car, is performance. Without the actual experience of driving the car in question, renders that person's choice in picking one over the other useless. It would be edifying to hear from those who have driven both cars since their opinion would be based on experience as opposed to feelings or perceptions.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #246
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your opinion, which is at this stage, pure speculation, applies to any new model of vehicle. Those are valid concerns but the question posed on this thread was which car you would choose. While there are many factors to be considered in the purchase of any vehicle, the single most important in a high performance car, is performance. Without the actual experience of driving the car in question, renders that person's choice in picking one over the other useless. It would be edifying to hear from those who have driven both cars since their opinion would be based on experience as opposed to feelings or perceptions.
No, the R8 has a reliability history to it that I find acceptable and the BMW drive train (turbo inline 3 with two electric motors and two transmissions) has no history. I often choose the proven performer over the one with no history. You are speculating that the BMW will have reliability like most other new cars.

I also choose it because I prefer the sound of a NA V-10 over a turbo inline 3. Poor natural balance to an inline 3 and didn't this come from the Mini? If you can get different tracks for the stereo maybe you can get the track for it to sound like a NA V-10.

I also choose the R8 because it redlines at 8700 rpm and the BMW redlines at I believe 5800 rpm.
      06-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #247
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
I would think that the number of folks who have actually driven both cars is very very small.

Also, the single most important thing in any high performance car or enthusiast car, is how it makes you feel; Not it's performance. There are many ways a car can make you feel something.

06-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #248
coincident
Rep

I agree that the way a car makes you feel is extremely important. Which only confirms my point that choosing one car over another without experiencing it and driving it is a useless endeavor. Further reason why the responses to this thread are absurd.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #249
coincident
Rep

I am not arguing that the i8 is more desirable than an R8. Everyone has their own priorities, predispositions and motives in buying an expensive, high performance car. Some factors are objective but many and perhaps ultimately the most important are subjective. I could care less what other opinions may be about the car I own. It only matters how I feel. Offering an opinion with many of them voiced being very definitive and adamant without the feel or driving experience of the car is like conducting a poll on which fruit tastes better - an orange or apple and the respondents have eaten neither.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #250
wrxified
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

I've never touched fake tits on a woman but my opinion is that real ones are better.

Being 240 lbs I've never test driven a set of skinny jeans and have no desire to try them. I simply believe based on experience that my boys need some room to move around.

I've owned 32 cars in 24 years. Many NA, several Turbocharged and a couple Supercharged. I've never added anything like a fake blow off valve speaker to make one sound like it's Turbocharged.

I read the reviews about the fake engine noises generated through the door speakers on the I8 and can honestly say I'd never want to own a car that is generating its own fake engine cabin noise whether it's an I8 or M5.

I know from the numbers that the R8 easily tops the I8 in nearly every category aside from fuel economy. If I can't offer an opinion based on these simple facts without a test drive then fine, I have no idea which car would better suit my needs.

If however people are free to draw conclusions on which would better meet their needs based on life experiences and what they look for in a driver's car, I'll take the one without the fake boobies.

"Engine sounds, or at least sounds from what we perceive to be the engine, fill the leather-lined cabin. The stereo speakers play a rumbling, intake-rich engine song that mimics an angry Acura NSX and peaks at 87 decibels at full throttle......"

You lost me at speakers
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #251
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
I am not arguing that the i8 is more desirable than an R8. Everyone has their own priorities, predispositions and motives in buying an expensive, high performance car. Some factors are objective but many and perhaps ultimately the most important are subjective. I could care less what other opinions may be about the car I own. It only matters how I feel. Offering an opinion with many of them voiced being very definitive and adamant without the feel or driving experience of the car is like conducting a poll on which fruit tastes better - an orange or apple and the respondents have eaten neither.
How interesting.
      06-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #252
coincident
Rep

As one with experience feeling real boobs and fake, many of the latter look and feel significantly better than the former. There are a small number of natural breasts that are magnificent. Most real boobs however, age very poorly and by middle age, virtually all well done fake boobs are far more satisfying both aesthetically and tactilely.

Last edited by coincident; 06-30-2015 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #253
coincident
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
I've never touched fake tits on a woman but my opinion is that real ones are better.

Being 240 lbs I've never test driven a set of skinny jeans and have no desire to try them. I simply believe based on experience that my boys need some room to move around.

I've owned 32 cars in 24 years. Many NA, several Turbocharged and a couple Supercharged. I've never added anything like a fake blow off valve speaker to make one sound like it's Turbocharged.

I read the reviews about the fake engine noises generated through the door speakers on the I8 and can honestly say I'd never want to own a car that is generating its own fake engine cabin noise whether it's an I8 or M5.

I know from the numbers that the R8 easily tops the I8 in nearly every category aside from fuel economy. If I can't offer an opinion based on these simple facts without a test drive then fine, I have no idea which car would better suit my needs.

If however people are free to draw conclusions on which would better meet their needs based on life experiences and what they look for in a driver's car, I'll take the one without the fake boobies.

"Engine sounds, or at least sounds from what we perceive to be the engine, fill the leather-lined cabin. The stereo speakers play a rumbling, intake-rich engine song that mimics an angry Acura NSX and peaks at 87 decibels at full throttle......"

You lost me at speakers
Most engine sounds are the result of many forms of manipulation by the car maker. The end result is not the manner in which the ultimate sound is created, but how pleasing it is to the ear of the owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #254
wrxified
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

Quote:
Most engine sounds are the result of many forms of manipulation by the car maker. The end result is not the manner in which the ultimate sound is created, but how pleasing it is to the ear of the owner.
Yeah I get that an intake, exhaust or even cam timing can alter it but you cross a line at a certain point when you're no longer using the mechanical characteristics or capabilities of an engine to create the driver experience and start relying on digital recordings of what a traditional sports car is thought to sound like. It's toying with the whole virtual realm and I don't want to live in a world with my mind being tricked into thinking I am experiencing something I'm not.

Hey don't get me wrong. I never would've pinned these 2 cars to a board for comparison. While I would undoubtedly experience a level of satisfaction in both vehicles above most others I've owned and own today, I honestly believe for my needs, likes and wish list I'd go with the R8 optioned with the V10 probably in the Plus trim over the i8.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #255
TimeWalk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW

i8. It seems to hold it's value better than the R8. At least for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #256
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When the engine sound is coming through the speakers I don't care how good the ultimate sound is, I can listen to tracks at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWalk View Post
i8. It seems to hold it's value better than the R8. At least for now.
Your basing your decision on the depreciation you have seen in the first few months the car has been out?
      07-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #257
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I'd take an i8.

If you said an R8 MKI it'd be a bit harder for me to decide. Just not a fan of the new front ends of this new slew of Audi's.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #258
coincident
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Oh ok, so what were your driving impressions of the second gen R8?
I have no driving impressions of the second generation of the R8 since it is not available yet.

I do have driving experience with the R8 first gen and chose to purchase the i8.

Last edited by coincident; 07-03-2015 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #259
AWheeler
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

I would go i8 for the unique technology and experience. I love the R8, too, but I find the i8 more interesting in terms of variability of the driving experience
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #260
E46driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul
I wouldn't ever cross shop the two, totally different cars. Brain tells me i8, but my heart can't ignore a V10.
A Lamborghini v10 at that.
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | M-Spor | BMW Performance Exhaust | Active Autowerke Headers | BBS CH-R | CPS Front Lip | Performance Front Grills | 888Concepts Custom Headlights (GONE)

2011 Alpine White E90 N55 335i Automagic
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #261
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Well, my sister has a V10 R8, so I will take the i8 to round out the stable.

Although, honestly, having driven the car, it is just too much car for the street, you can not really have that much fun. Floor it, and you are only seconds away from getting arrested speeds. Around town, it does not feel that much different than driving a Jetta. Too fast, too capable, not enough fun.

Her pristine Integra Type R is a lot more fun to thrash and throw around, and the SOUNDS it makes, glorious!

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 07-13-2015 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #262
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

A car that handles like the pinnacle of all cars and a motor that screams; this is the epitome of what makes a sports car a sports car. R8, no question
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #263
Brawndo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

i've had my i8 for a little bit over a week now, my friend has an R8 V10 spyder and we've swapped cars a couple of times during a long road trip last week that we did together.

I really feel this is an Apple to Oranges comparison. I really took a leap of faith with the i8 and I couldn't be happier.

Sport mode on twisty road the car is fun and has plenty of torque on demand, then you arrive in a small town and switch it to edrive, arriving at corners, with that high pitch sound like there's a spaceship coming in town, just make sure you keep your windows down to listen to all the crazy comments. It really is a head turner, if that is your thing. Pictures don't do justice to this car. It really is an experience.

What I like the most is the exclusive factor, most people I meet have never seen the car. So that's the only downside if one day you're feeling tired of repeating the same answers over and over to the curious crowd that will get around you car at every gas or food stop, it might not be the car for you, as I personally love sharing with people, explaining the specs and letting them make pictures.

With that said, the R8 V10 is a beast and I love it.

I'm bad at writing my thoughts regarding this comparison, but let's say that the i8 is truly an engineering masterpiece and setting new standards for the future of supercars.

In the end, it's my firm believe that one needs to actually drive the i8 for a couple of days before making any assessment. It's a great car that grows on you.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #264
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Can we just all agree that they are both great cars?

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0