E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help Req: E91 320d low power & torque before & after remap

07-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
E91 320d James
Registered
Rep
Drives: Grey E91 320d pre LCI

Help Req: E91 320d low power & torque before & after remap

Hi everyone,

I’ve just joined up to this forum to ask other members for advice.

My vehicle:

BMW 3 series touring E91
320d (163bhp)
55 plate – Build Month/Year: August 2005

I have just had it remapped by Celtic Tuning in Cornwall but the power and torque figures are much lower than expected:

Celtic Tuning quote 212bhp and 316.9lb ft and say that these engines if running right make both standard power and torque figures (163bhp and 250lb ft) before and their quoted figures after a remap. But my car only managed 186.5bhp and 279.9lb ft. They advised that the MAF needed to be changed as when they unplugged it the vehicle actually made 1bhp more and there should be a much bigger difference according to them.

Since replacing the MAF I have been back to Celtic Tuning and only saw a small improvement: 189bhp and 293.5lb ft. They have suggested the next sensor to change would be the map sensor. They do not think there is a boost leak or a problem with the EGR as the graph is smooth but they do say compared to a car running proper power it does not produce power as quick. They thought it might be a blocked CAT and DPF but I don’t have a DPF and there is nothing in the CAT anymore.

Please see the figures and graphs below from the before run, after run and run after MAF was fitted:

This is the graph Celtic Tuning have on their website:

To give some background to my car (owned for almost 1 year):

The turbo failed previously to me purchasing the vehicle and the garage I bought it off had the turbo refurbished by Essex Turbos.

That turbo then partially failed and they reported this was due to too much back pressure.

I then bought a brand new Mitsubishi turbo and took the insides out of the cat (no DPF on this vehicle) only a few months ago.

It has also had a full service, glow plugs, main thermostat and EGR thermostat replaced within the last few months.

I have briefly run the vehicle with the exhaust centre section / backbox not connected and the power seems the same. So it would appear the centre or backbox is not blocked or clogged up.

The only codes in the ECU are: Glow plug activation / open circuit (cyclinders 1, 2, 3 and 4) and smooth running control.

Has anyone else had a remap and the power / torque been much lower then expected? Any common other sensors to be faulty and not bring up a code? A couple of sensors that have been mentioned are the MAP sensor, boost pressure sensor and boost solenoid.

If anyone has any advice or help that would be great as after spending thousands on this car already (new turbo, clutch, flywheel and MAF amongst other things) I don’t really want to spend hundreds more on sensors which might not make a difference.

Many thanks in advance.

James.
Appreciate 0