BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2016 model year Tacoma

11-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #23
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

When I was looking at trucks a few years ago I didn't need the towing capacity of a full size. The mid size was easier to maneuver and parallel park in the city. I looked at the Tacoma, Frontier and Ridgeline. I was surprised at how small the Tacoma and Frontier were inside. It only offered the same shoulder room as a Toyota Camry. Then I looked at the Honda Ridgeline. I was surprised at how spacious it was inside - it offered the same amount of shoulder room as the Toyota Tundra. It's also the only mid-size truck that could fit 4x8 sheets of sheetrock/plywood flat in the bed. The trunk was nice to stash a good amount of tools and emergency items. It definitely has a niche market, but it fit my needs best as a suburban family truck that does everything the full size can do except go rock crawling or tow a large trailer/boat. It can tow a boat up to about 21 feet just fine though which is big enough for me. As far as the Ridgeline vs Tacoma, the only advantage of the Tacoma is that it can go off-road and also offers an extended bed option. The advantage of the Ridgeline is more cabin space, more refined interior, an in-bed trunk for stowing emergency gear, and a flat bed (no protruding wheel wells). They are pretty much the same in other respects.

Last edited by Twixboy; 11-23-2015 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #24
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
It's also the only mid-size truck that could fit 4x8 sheets of sheetrock/plywood flat in the bed.
I don't have anything against the Ridgeline at all, but calling this "in the bed" is a bit much. (FWIW the Taco has two pairs of of notches in the sides of the bed; cut some 2x4, drop them in, and it will hold 4x? sheets at the level of the top of the wheel wells. Same length problem as the Ridgeline - longest bed is 6ft.)

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #25
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Then I looked at the Honda Ridgeline. It can tow a boat up to about 21 feet just fine though which is big enough for me.
Maybe a 21' runabout without a lot of gear on a single axle trailer. Ridgeline has a MAX tow capacity of 5000lbs, and that's generous IMO. Tow capacity is considered with a driver only. Anything inside the vehicle, in the bed, or being towed is part of that total towing capacity. You aren't going to be safely towing my 21' wake boat with a Ridgeline.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #26
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 430i GC

I recently was in the market for a new truck. The choice was between the 2016 Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, or the 2016 Tacoma.

The Tacoma was the first truck I looked at, with the particular specimen being a very well equipped four door model with four-wheel drive. First thing I noticed was the lack of rear disc brakes. That immediately made me think about what other corners might have been cut by Toyota. Also, I did not like the position of the driver's seat; way too low in my opinion.

Next up was the Chevy dealer. The Colorado has sort of a sporty appearance, almost like that of a "Camaro-truck." I found a silver 4x4 crew cab model with every available option that I liked, but the seats again were an issue. This time, the problem was with the firmness of the backrest. They were too firm for me, and the trim level I wanted kept me from optioning different ones.

I remembered reading about the GMC Canyon, and how the styling was different from the Colorado both inside and out. When I went and looked in person, I preferred the exterior styling, and found the interior to be much more upscale than the Chevy Colorado. They had one on the lot I liked, and I bought it.

I really wanted to like the Tacoma, but I couldn't. Ive been a Chevy/GM guy most of my life, and now I can add GMC to the list.

Oh, and don't forget BMW.
2003 330xi (Forever in my heart )
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #27
Jacblack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 COMP

RESALE RESALE RESALE this is just coming from experience of what I see everyday at work. You could drive a Tacoma for a year sell it back and not lose much money if any. The America has trucks just don't hold their value at all.

But I laugh at customers that buy pretty pick up trucks, I look at them as very utilitarian, so ones with nice chrome clad wheels and leather seats just throw me off.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #28
Jacblack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
A friend of mine has an '06 (can't remember which) that Toyota is footing the bill for an entire new body-off restoration of the frame. I just can't believe the cost involved with that.
It costed them TONS of money to do it. But the program has ended, we are doing our last few at my store. Honestly customers loved it, Toyota is just replacing the entire frame for free, not even charging labor, and giving customers loaners to drive. Toyota is so afraid of lawsuits they are extra sensitive now.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #29
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I don't have anything against the Ridgeline at all, but calling this "in the bed" is a bit much. (FWIW the Taco has two pairs of of notches in the sides of the bed; cut some 2x4, drop them in, and it will hold 4x? sheets at the level of the top of the wheel wells. Same length problem as the Ridgeline - longest bed is 6ft.)

I do it a few times a year, just strap the end down onto the built in hooks in the bed and flag it. If you are doing this on a regular basis then you need a full-size truck. I'm just pointing out it's a bit easier to haul things in the Ridgeline since it has a totally flat bed and the tailgate also swings out sideways for easier access to things in the bed/trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
Maybe a 21' runabout without a lot of gear on a single axle trailer. Ridgeline has a MAX tow capacity of 5000lbs, and that's generous IMO. Tow capacity is considered with a driver only. Anything inside the vehicle, in the bed, or being towed is part of that total towing capacity. You aren't going to be safely towing my 21' wake boat with a Ridgeline.
Doesn't the Tacoma also have a 5000lb towing capacity or is it 6000 now? Regardless, if you need more than 5000 then you're in the minority and the Ridgeline isn't for you. I'm just pointing out that the majority of Tacoma owners don't tow anything, period. If you can get past its ugly looks, the Ridgeline is a more practical truck for 75% of suburban/street truck owners.

I have to say right now is not a good time to buy a mid size truck though. Every model except the Colorado/Canyon is running on a 10+ year old chassis. Every model in the entire mid-size truck class is due to be redesigned within the next 1-2 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #30
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

The Canyon and Colorado are supposed to be quite refined for trucks.

Another thing, didn't Honda stop making the Ridgeline?
14' last year of production?
      11-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #31
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Toyota says the drum brakes are there for better offroad functionality. I believe them; given their parts bin it would probably cost them $0.01 to switch to rear discs. Who knows, it might even save them money.

6-cylinder 2005-2015 Tacoma has 6500 lb. towing capacity when equipped with the towing package. I believe Nissan matches that claim with their v6. I don't know what the 3rd gens are rated at. The diesel Colorado is going to up the ante in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #32
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

I believe they took the model offline for 2 years while they designed the new one, which is just about done. It will be released next year as a 2017 model. The new Ridgeline desert race truck was at SEMA this year and won at the Baja 1000 this past weekend.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #33
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb
Toyota says the drum brakes are there for better offroad functionality. I believe them; given their parts bin it would probably cost them $0.01 to switch to rear discs. Who knows, it might even save them money.

6-cylinder 2005-2015 Tacoma has 6500 lb. towing capacity when equipped with the towing package. I believe Nissan matches that claim with their v6. I don't know what the 3rd gens are rated at. The diesel Colorado is going to up the ante in that regard.
Maybe so. However, since my truck will be used for on-road purposes 95% of the time, I prefer discs. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #34
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacblack
RESALE RESALE RESALE this is just coming from experience of what I see everyday at work. You could drive a Tacoma for a year sell it back and not lose much money if any. The America has trucks just don't hold their value at all.

But I laugh at customers that buy pretty pick up trucks, I look at them as very utilitarian, so ones with nice chrome clad wheels and leather seats just throw me off.
I use my truck for utility, and enjoy my leather seats with ass-warmers while hauling whatever my load is to its destination.

BMW has spoiled me when it comes to interiors and interior tech.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #35
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arrow View Post
Maybe so. However, since my truck will be used for on-road purposes 95% of the time, I prefer discs. To each his own.
No arguments from me. I bought what fit my needs best. I encourage everyone to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 11:27 PM   #36
Brettb1234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 6MT 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacblack View Post

Not that you were specifically talking about Tacomas but I thought leather wasn't even an option on Tacos?

Don't some of the most base trucks come with those simple chrome wheels? Chrome is gross in general anyway
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 05:52 AM   #37
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Looks like leather is avaible in the 2016 Tacomas. That's a first. Base Tacos have painted steel wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

Production ended mid-2014. Honda has a web page on their sight about a future Ridgeline. Not a lot of details.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #39
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

A solid update, but outclassed by the new Colorado is every way. My .02
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #40
x3ster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4- YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Not even close on resale value. Cost of ownership much? Taco is in a class by itself when it comes to resale. PERIOD. Nothing like it
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #41
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #42
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ster View Post
Not even close on resale value. Cost of ownership much? Taco is in a class by itself when it comes to resale. PERIOD. Nothing like it
FJ Cruiser tops it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #43
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ster View Post

How would you know? The truck just hit the market, and the Tacoma is all new. The jury is out on both trucks' residual value. And sorry, even with it's traditionally good value, I'm not spending the same money on an inferior-in-every-way truck just because of resale. That's absurd.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #44
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
How would you know? The truck just hit the market, and the Tacoma is all new. The jury is out on both trucks' residual value. And sorry, even with it's traditionally good value, I'm not spending the same money on an inferior-in-every-way truck just because of resale. That's absurd.
Because every generation of Tacomas have always held their resale. They hold it better than any truck (and almost every mainstream vehicle out there)

Quote:
I do agree with this. I really like the new Colorado/Canyon with the diesel.
Appreciate 0