BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Americans that left for the EU/other countries?

11-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #23
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

This will always be the greatest nation on the planet. We have our problems, but in the big picture, they are so minor compared to many other regions of the world. Those who leave should relinquish their US Citizenship, Green Card, etc. And give those credentials to someone who is currently waiting and wants to be in the USA. my .02

edit: The OP said Americans, so scratch Green Card holders from my response, as those are permanent residents. I suppose they can come and go as they do today. But US Citizens who choose to leave, put some skin in the game.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      11-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #24
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Few less people in NYC wouldn't hurt...

If I had to move to another country, probably be Japan. Maybe Hong Kong.
Haha I dont disagree with you there...sometimes even trying to cross the street is a mission. Japans sounds nice, im just not a fan of 20+ hour plane rides.
Appreciate 1
Aatish3458.00
      11-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #25
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
If i had to move, i would go to Sweden,Switzerland, Iceland, or some island.
Never been to Sweden or any of those countries you mentioned but I went abroad to Helsinki for a year about 3 years ago (school) and loved it. I spent a few days in Iceland before heading to Helsinki as well. Its definitely pretty cool to live in other countries although Finnish is not exactly the easiest language in the world to learn but the Finns all speak good English and once you get to know them they are amazing people so it wasnt bad at all.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907431.00
      11-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #26
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1Boston View Post
Never been to Sweden or any of those countries you mentioned but I went abroad to Helsinki for a year about 3 years ago (school) and loved it. I spent a few days in Iceland before heading to Helsinki as well. Its definitely pretty cool to live in other countries although Finnish is not exactly the easiest language in the world to learn but the Finns all speak good English and once you get to know them they are amazing people so it wasnt bad at all.
I've been to Sweden, Norway, Denmark, blah blah blah. What a myth--does any American truly believe it's "cool" to live there? c'mon now. I had to spend 3 mos. there. The one plus is to have many blonde people who didn't dye their hair.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #27
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Haha I dont disagree with you there...sometimes even trying to cross the street is a mission. Japans sounds nice, im just not a fan of 20+ hour plane rides.
Japanese quality still rocks, I'm glad they still make stuff, but it sounds like we're gonna start doing that too (who makes the glass for BMWs now, Saint Gobain Sekurit, or Fuyao in OH?). Can't beat the food.

But let's face it, these places we look favorably upon, were you there on business with your employer footing the bill? Because if so, I think you're in for a rude awakening if you go to live in these places.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #28
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I've been to Sweden, Norway, Denmark, blah blah blah. What a myth--does any American truly believe it's "cool" to live there? c'mon now. I had to spend 3 mos. there. The one plus is to have many blonde people who didn't dye their hair.
Isnt there an escalating migrant issue there as well? Sound real fun to me esp. if you are female..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #29
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Japanese quality still rocks, I'm glad they still make stuff, but it sounds like we're gonna start doing that too (who makes the glass for BMWs now, Saint Gobain Sekurit, or Fuyao in OH?). Can't beat the food.

But let's face it, these places we look favorably upon, were you there on business with your employer footing the bill? Because if so, I think you're in for a rude awakening if you go to live in these places.
I would hate to travel for work. Some people love it but its not really my thing...if I'm going somewhere I do it on my dime and not having to worry about a meeting, rushing to my laptop, or having my laptop open on the plane ride trying to get work done.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #30
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I wouldnt mind living in Finland. Also definitely found it cool to get away from life in NYC/Boston for a while. I was only there for school so I imagine trying to insert myself into the real world would be a completely different situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #31
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
This will always be the greatest nation on the planet.
Just curious, how much of the rest of the world have you visited?

I actually find if you eat good food and like to cook, it is actually cheaper in places like France, Germany etc. In North America you have to shop at places like Whole Foods or go to farmers markets to get good food, which is not cheap. Cooking in France was a fair bit cheaper for the same quality, same goes for wine, which is a big portion of my budget.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 11-23-2016 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10531.50
      11-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #32
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I wouldnt mind living in Finland. Also definitely found it cool to get away from life in NYC/Boston for a while. I was only there for school so I imagine trying to insert myself into the real world would be a completely different situation.
What I had found interesting was that Scandinavia is only Sweden, Norway, Denmark. We as Americans include Iceland and Finland. Swedes told me Finns are not Scandinavians, they are more Eastern European, look at their language and names. They also told me Norwegians use of the language/spelling is childlike (for example, stasjon instead of station) What do I know, I was only there for mos.

We as Americans are the most welcoming, as close to a melting pot as one can get. In my example, even nations of only 10 mil (more like a state here), make distinctions of who is what nationality.

Back to the OP's topic, imho it is silly to flee the USA based on an election result.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #33
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
What I had found interesting was that Scandinavia is only Sweden, Norway, Denmark. We as Americans include Iceland and Finland. Swedes told me Finns are not Scandinavians, they are more Eastern European, look at their language and names. They also told me Norwegians use of the language/spelling is childlike (for example, stasjon instead of station) What do I know, I was only there for mos.

We as Americans are the most welcoming, as close to a melting pot as one can get. In my example, even nations of only 10 mil (more like a state here), make distinctions of who is what nationality.

Back to the OP's topic, imho it is silly to flee the USA based on an election result.
OP never said anything about election results, he said he is bored with the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 09:40 AM   #34
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

My topic has nothing to do with the US elections. People posting immediately decided, maybe unintentionally, to make it political. The post was meant for people to share their experiences of moving abroad.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #35
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:

Finns are closely related to Balts not Slavs.

ANd FYI Baltic states do not classify as Eastern Europe. People still confuse Eastern Europe with Eastern Block.

Last edited by Delta0311; 11-23-2016 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #36
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Not sure if this is intended as a political post or not, but ill bite.. (warning: I am military, so it's not like I had a choice in leaving, though I wanted to come here more than you know)

1) Where ?

Germany

2) How long have you been there for?

A little over two years

3) What do you do for work?

Military

4)Did you eventually learn the language or do you continue to just use your English?

I have tried to learn a few words, but it's tough. Luckily most people speak English, and the ones that don't, well we get by or I just try to avoid talking to them. Given enough time here (years more) I think I could learn enough German to converse in their language if I put forth the effort.

5) Why did you leave?

Military told me to, and I don't regret it one bit. I have a little over two years left here, and am going to apply for a 4 year extension. I'm proud to be an American most days, but there is just nothing there for me. Germany has been great.

OP: If you are genuinely interested in what it's like living outside the US in a foreign country, specifically Germany, let me know and I can give you what advise I can. My situation is a little different, because I am Military here on orders, so still a US citizen and a lot of the German rules don't apply to me, but I can certainly give you advise.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #37
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat3d ///M View Post
Not sure if this is intended as a political post or not, but ill bite.. (warning: I am military, so it's not like I had a choice in leaving, though I wanted to come here more than you know)

1) Where ?

Germany

2) How long have you been there for?

A little over two years

3) What do you do for work?

Military

4)Did you eventually learn the language or do you continue to just use your English?

I have tried to learn a few words, but it's tough. Luckily most people speak English, and the ones that don't, well we get by or I just try to avoid talking to them. Given enough time here (years more) I think I could learn enough German to converse in their language if I put forth the effort.

5) Why did you leave?

Military told me to, and I don't regret it one bit. I have a little over two years left here, and am going to apply for a 4 year extension. I'm proud to be an American most days, but there is just nothing there for me. Germany has been great.

Think I've mentioned in other threads about my 1 buddy who moved to Germany and never looked back. He's been there for about 3-4 years, not Military, and he's also pretty fluent in German now according to him. He says the German's actually believe in the work/life balance haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #38
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Never lived abroad. Seriously considered going ex-pat and skipping out on my student loans though.
      11-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #39
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
If i had to move, i would go to Sweden,Switzerland, Iceland, or some island.
Obviously never spoken to Lups
      11-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #40
Kenton210
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 F83

Like Rat3d ///M, I was also military when I moved abroad, so I knew I was coming back...

1. Madrid, Spain
2. We were there for 3 years.
3. Worked for the U.S Embassy processing diplomatic flight clearances.
4. I speak Spanish fluently (native), so ZERO issues.
5. We left because my 3 years were up. We had the opportunity to stay for an additional 3 years, but my wife REALLY missed living (and working) in the US. I truly love America, but I think Europeans have a better work/life balance (as C1Boston's buddy stated).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #41
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
I'm preparing to live in my home in rosarito before trump comes into office. (I have a beach home which I would go to every few months for a week or two)

I'm a producer so I travel a lot for work anyways, so I'm not necessarily going to be in Mexico full time, but when I have free time, i will be flying to San Diego, and crossing to my home in rosarito simply because I'd like to see the changes that come in 2017 from afar, given that I'm blessed enough to have the option to do so.

This time next year - I'll then reassess whether to move back or simply stay. (btw I'm already fluent in Spanish, Tagalog and English so adjusting won't be an issue) biggest issue I'm looking at is the attention the i8 will call in Mexico- but thankfully I live in a closed off community. May have to pick up another daily though just for peace of mind.
      11-26-2016, 12:57 AM   #42
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
I'm preparing to live in my home in rosarito before trump comes into office. (I have a beach home which I would go to every few months for a week or two)

I'm a producer so I travel a lot for work anyways, so I'm not necessarily going to be in Mexico full time, but when I have free time, i will be flying to San Diego, and crossing to my home in rosarito simply because I'd like to see the changes that come in 2017 from afar, given that I'm blessed enough to have the option to do so.

This time next year - I'll then reassess whether to move back or simply stay. (btw I'm already fluent in Spanish, Tagalog and English so adjusting won't be an issue) biggest issue I'm looking at is the attention the i8 will call in Mexico- but thankfully I live in a closed off community. May have to pick up another daily though just for peace of mind.
You're moving to another country simply because of one man that you have never met? Do you understand how asinine that is?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 03:16 AM   #43
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat3d ///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post

You're moving to another country simply because of one man that you have never met? Do you understand how asinine that is?

NO I DONT. Please- TELL ME HOW ASININE IT IS OF ME BECAUSE I GIVE SUCH A SHIT ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK?!

You need a geography lesson. Rosarito is practically San Diego, dummy. I earn dollars so its more cost effective.
      11-26-2016, 03:29 AM   #44
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

If I left the States I'd only move to Canada because it's like my second home. I go there regularly and absolutely adore British Columbia. I can't, however, really think of any reason why I would move across the border. Taxes and cost of living are a huge deterrent.
Appreciate 0