BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Imminent accident avoided?

11-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #23
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

You made a benign every day situation much worse by pulling into the other lane like that. If the other driver had a lapse in judgement or was worse yet accelerating (since their lane was open) you would've cause an accident and potentially a bad one.

The glk wasn't coming to fast and was already on the brakes way before the car was close to you. What spooked you was the glk's accident avoidance shimmy. Also You reacted way too slowly (judging based on when you started accelerating and saying hey hey hey). Don't take that personally. I probably would react slowly in the same situation. But I wouldn't cut off another driver in such a dangerous way. I see it everyday
      11-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #24
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

What video are you all watching that shows the Merc stopping in time? It clearly did not stop in time, it is 100% occupying the space that his car was in few seconds before. Personally, I cannot say what I would have done in this situation.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #25
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
What video are you all watching that shows the Merc stopping in time? It clearly did not stop in time, it is 100% occupying the space that his car was in few seconds before. Personally, I cannot say what I would have done in this situation.

Steve
Exactly. Mercedes wouldn't stop in time.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #26
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
You made a benign every day situation much worse by pulling into the other lane like that. If the other driver had a lapse in judgement or was worse yet accelerating (since their lane was open) you would've cause an accident and potentially a bad one.

The glk wasn't coming to fast and was already on the brakes way before the car was close to you. What spooked you was the glk's accident avoidance shimmy. Also You reacted way too slowly (judging based on when you started accelerating and saying hey hey hey). Don't take that personally. I probably would react slowly in the same situation. But I wouldn't cut off another driver in such a dangerous way. I see it everyday
I have to agree with the two posts above me that the Mercedes didn't stop in time. It's not about "could have" as the car is fully taking up the space that the OP was literally just in. I think he would have gotten rear ended, and assuming he was really looking behind he saw that he (very narrowly) had enough space to use the right lane to avoid an accident. I agree that he probably should have used the carpool lane, but we're so instinctively trained not to cross those damn white lines that it probably doesn't even register in the heat of the moment.

OP no one got hurt and you got out without a scratch, good move.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I don't see it from the video, it only looks like the Merc occupied the space from the angle after the OP swerved out, neverminding that it eased up its brakes seeing that the OP left the lane. I've seen panicked braking before and the Merc's brakes seemed strong enough to stop short.

If one has to make evasive moves, then do it w/o relying upon others. Here, OP almost (inadvertently) caused an accident ironically had it not been for the good reaction from the vehicle in the other lane.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #28
natedog7700
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp

Looks like He/she would have stopped in time. I personally would have done the same thing you did though. Its not a big deal, just another day in traffic if you ask me!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #29
rohitsja
MUHAAHAA
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i/ 09 E92 335i

After watching this video, its pretty clear the Mercedes would have stopped in time and not hit OP even if he had chosen to stay in his lane, I have no doubt in my mind. People who are saying he used up the space OP was in didn't really see the Merc driver slammed on the brakes first and you should notice how much his speed slowed and then OP switched lanes, almost forcing an accident had the other driver not been paying attention btw, then the Merc driver eased up on his brakes. For people who dont get this, watch the video again and solely focus on the front part of the car - grill, front bumper etc. where you will see a noticeable dip meaning he slammed on his brakes pretty hard and then watch the front end lift back up, meaning he eased up because he would not want the driver behind him to slam into him when he got the extra room in front of him which he was not expecting. Its not that complicated guys.

Mercedes brakes are pretty strong and effective, stop making it sound like only a priceless BMW with its hi-tech brakes could have stopped in that situation !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #30
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitsja View Post
After watching this video, its pretty clear the Mercedes would have stopped in time and not hit OP even if he had chosen to stay in his lane, I have no doubt in my mind. People who are saying he used up the space OP was in didn't really see the Merc driver slammed on the brakes first and you should notice how much his speed slowed and then OP switched lanes, almost forcing an accident had the other driver not been paying attention btw, then the Merc driver eased up on his brakes. For people who dont get this, watch the video again and solely focus on the front part of the car - grill, front bumper etc. where you will see a noticeable dip meaning he slammed on his brakes pretty hard and then watch the front end lift back up, meaning he eased up because he would not want the driver behind him to slam into him when he got the extra room in front of him which he was not expecting. Its not that complicated guys.

Mercedes brakes are pretty strong and effective, stop making it sound like only a priceless BMW with its hi-tech brakes could have stopped in that situation !!!
Yeah, you watch it multiple times to think it won't hit me. But i only had one chance to see it in real life. Go figure
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #31
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
While we were not in your situation, you seem to be defending your actions an awful lot.
You did, after all, willingly posted these videos for all to see AND COMMENT (per your initial post, it was worded a question '?'), so you should have been prepared to take people's comments objectively either way.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #32
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
In my opinion, regarding your video, I think that Merc would have rear ended you (not too terribly from the looks of it). In the heat of the moment, you identified that situation and reacted. With that said, the accident would have clearly not have been your fault. However, by jerking over to the right, you did not quite have as much control of the situation as you did in the left lane as evidenced by nearly causing a wreck with the white van and probably worse damage. You WOULD have been at fault for that accident. You are right when you said 'luck' was yours that day.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #33
rohitsja
MUHAAHAA
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i/ 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Yeah, you watch it multiple times to think it won't hit me. But i only had one chance to see it in real life. Go figure
That's true but I watched it because u posted it here for people to watch and asked a question.
Let me ask you this, you think its ok to throw somebody off the road because u think the guy behind will hit you, that's also a ONE chance, right. Dude, you should consider yourself lucky you didnt screw the guy on your right else you would have been in some real shit.

Anyways, people make split second decisions and you did what you did. Just glad that everybody is safe. Understood that you saw what you saw and did what u did at the time but I personally would have supported your actions only if the lane to your right was completely empty. You asked a question and I answered, its not to your liking, too bad, GO FIGURE !!!

Drive Safe !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #34
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

You guys in the US dont put on the blinking hazard lights when there's a traffic jam on the highway?
To indicate you're braking a bit harder than usual to a very slow speed/full stop..

The other guy had to evade you while you were cutting him off. Creating a crash in order to avoid one is never the right decision.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #35
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
You guys in the US dont put on the blinking hazard lights when there's a traffic jam on the highway?
To indicate you're braking a bit harder than usual to a very slow speed/full stop..
Heck no, that makes too much sense.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
The other guy had to evade you while you were cutting him off. Creating a crash in order to avoid one is never the right decision.
Yep, I'd rather take the rear-end hit (even though not likely from the video evidence) vs cutting off the right lane dude and getting 100% liability there. Like someone else said, if the right lane's clear, go for it. In this case, not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
Heck no, that makes too much sense.
Hahah.

Last edited by tranquility; 12-03-2016 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #37
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Don't 'forget about it' 'cause it turned out ok, use it to correct, before you do get clipped. You need to learn from this that you were not maintaining adequate situational awareness of that right lane, or the out-front traffic flow ahead of the guy in front of you. Use it as a warning shot across the bow to start practicing scanning more regularly.
Appreciate 0