BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > NETFLIX: Now Allows Downloading To Watch at Will

11-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up NETFLIX: Now Allows Downloading To Watch at Will

Great move by what is surely the best entertainment streaming service on the planet.

http://collider.com/netflix-downloads/

Quote:
The evolution of Netflix over the last few years has been impressive to say the least, and the streaming service is now taking yet another step to becoming the leading supplier of home entertainment. While thus far an internet connection has been necessary to consume anything on Netflix, the streaming service announced that as of today, they are beginning to offer downloads of select films and TV series. This allows subscribers to view this entertainment offline, which has been one of the (few) major downsides to Netflix as opposed to competitors like Amazon Prime and YouTube Red.

Netflix’s new download feature works for Android and iOS phones and tablets, but users will need iOS 8.0 or later or Android 4.4.2 or later and an update to the Netflix app to start the offline viewing.

The streaming service will be expanding its library of downloadable content in the future, but right now original series Orange Is the New Black, Narcos, House of Cards, Stranger Things, The Crown, Master of None, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt are available for download, as are non-original series like The Office, The Flash, and The 100. On the feature film side, the animated features Home and Minions are available.

This is a pretty huge move on Netflix’s part, as it now allows subscribers to download films to watch on airplanes, car rides, or when traveling to areas with iffy wifi. The streaming service has been making massive strides ever since it launched original programming with House of Cards, and this past year as seen the streaming service make a big play for original feature films, scoring folks like Will Smith and Adam Sandler to star in Netflix original movies.

So yeah, this is probably just the next step on the road towards Netflix’s global domination. Really the only thing holding them back at the moment is their dwindling library of older films, as Netflix has started dropping some of its more expensive licenses to put that money instead towards original content. Thank the Maker for FilmStruck.
      11-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

About time! I've been using this feature of Amazon Prime for quite some time. Amazon allows for up to 15 downloads at a time under your account. That made my trip to Australia last month a bit more enjoyable. Got caught up on The Americans and Vikings (both are great).

Thanks for letting us know!

Last edited by larryn; 11-30-2016 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Heard about this a few months ago from friends who work there. Was definitely looking forward to this (a la Spotify with music).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Hmmm how do I access it through the netflix app...I don't see anything...

Same question for the amazon app. Where do I download or do I have to do it from a PC?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Sweet. They just need to add it to the windows app.
      12-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

canceled my subscription yesterday and got SLING tv. I don't have cable at home and Netflix just cant make enough content for me to have something to always watch.

I mean i finished Narcos in two days and the Crown in like 4..... Everything else on Netflix sucks. Only their original content is good and there is just not enough of it.

If they allow people to watch content offline, people will blow through it even faster and have longer periods of nothing to watch

Just my 2 cents.
      12-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
canceled my subscription yesterday and got SLING tv. I don't have cable at home and Netflix just cant make enough content for me to have something to always watch.

I mean i finished Narcos in two days and the Crown in like 4..... Everything else on Netflix sucks. Only their original content is good and there is just not enough of it.

If they allow people to watch content offline, people will blow through it even faster and have longer periods of nothing to watch

Just my 2 cents.
What kind of TV do you have? I tried Sling TV for the trial period. I really liked it, but I invested in a Sony 4K years ago and I felt I was wasting that investment. Please start a new thread with your thoughts on the pros and cons after a while. I would interested to hear.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #8
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
What kind of TV do you have? I tried Sling TV for the trial period. I really liked it, but I invested in a Sony 4K years ago and I felt I was wasting that investment. Please start a new thread with your thoughts on the pros and cons after a while. I would interested to hear.
I also have a LG 4k tv. For movies I just torrent high quality rips or buy the movie. I also do a lot of 4k gaming.

I also have amazon prime and have the amazon streaming service that the prime membership comes with. On that note there is a new episode of the grand tour tonight....
      12-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #9
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
I also have a LG 4k tv. For movies I just torrent high quality rips or buy the movie. I also do a lot of 4k gaming.

I also have amazon prime and have the amazon streaming service that the prime membership comes with. On that note there is a new episode of the grand tour tonight....
Love my Amazon PRIME! There is a reason the company as a whole is dominating the Retail Market!
      12-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #10
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Yes! You're right. I missed last week's after seeing the first one. Guess I'll be watching 2 tonight.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0