BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > 2018 24 Hours of Daytona - Travel Tips

01-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #23
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Thumbs up

Looks like we'll be getting nice weather on Saturday, but rain on Sunday.

Sunscreen, just in case. If the sun comes out, you'll likely need it.

Bring a small radio with headphones so you can follow the local race broadcast. 107.9 FM local at track, 93.5 FM and 1150 AM in Daytona.

My fav place to see the start is at turn 1, where they're downshifting after doing the banks and heading into the infield. It's truly stunning at the start when all the cars are alive and close together.

Pick up a spotters guide which they give out @ the track. You can download it ahead of time here (on Wednesday they updated it so the M8s didn't have a car cover on them )

http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-cont..._18_DAY_v3.pdf

That's the SAME one you'll get @ the track. I have a copy on my iPad.

Don't miss the BMW tent set up on the infield.

If you're like me and like to get a hat every year, buy them early as they tend to sell out.

Bring water. I'll have plenty of beer (cans), but my backpack is one of those bladder things that'll be full of H2O. With temps of 70 on Saturday, you'll be surprised how warm you'll feel.

For the heck of it, download a pedometer app on your phone....you'll walk a LOT.

If you plan on taking pics with an SLR like me, at least a 200mm zoom will be needed. Look for places in the chain link where the wire has been trimmed to let your lens through. People tend to take turns. Hardcore guys carry around a small folding stepstool to take pics over the fence.

Get your pic taken with the Continental tire girls.

It's gonna rain, so pack one of those cheap, lightweight ponchos.

If you have some small, lightweight binoculars, they'll come in handy.

Among the cars parked inside the track will be some real sick ones. Keep your eyes open.

We love our BMWs, but don't miss the Porsche paddock. They always show up with some very cool stuff.

Wear your BMW colors. Lots wear stuff with the logos of their favorite marque.

I'm not sure if it's too late, but last year I got tks for a thing called a taste of the 24. @ 6pm on Saturday, they open up a bunch of the suites in the grandstand and a bunch of local restaurants each set up in one. They give out a bunch of food an have prizes. The big prize is a Rolex watch. You get 1 free tkt with your entry fee. It really hit the spot last year so I'm doing it again this year. I don't do FB, but this should have all the details.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Tasteofthe24/posts/

If I think of anything else, I'll add it here. I've been going for maybe 10 years. I went once and was hooked. I have no excuse as I'm only an hour away. We use a friend's house in Palm Coast as a staging\sleeping place. that's only 20 minutes or so up the road.

Enjoy, everybody. If you're a first timer, start planning for next year now.

Last edited by McGary911; 01-26-2018 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Added details.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #24
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

7hrs in...
Team Montoya (#6) is 3rd and Team Alonso (#23)is 6th in the prototypes!!

the BMW M8 GTEs are dead last in GTLM

Lets hope for a turn around
Appreciate 0