BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New estoril 125i

04-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
SonicUK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 125i M-Sport

Garage List
New estoril 125i

... and got round to uploading some pictures after the 2nd epic detail on an estoril blue f20 in as many weeks.

I wont go through the whole detailing process again as the steps and work involved are the same as my brothers 125d which i posted about a couple of weeks ago.

I ordered the car about 2 months ago in mid-February, and have been counting down the days to its delivery ever since. Finally, last Friday, i picked her up!...

The car has the following spec -

BMW F20 125i M-Sport (2 litre turbo petrol), Manual
Estoril Blue
Anthracite Hexagon cloth/Alcantara upholstery
Driver comfort package (Servotronic Steering, Rear Park Distance Control, Cruise control with brake function)
Interior comfort package (Extended storage, Extended Interior Light Package)
Visibility package (Headlight wash, Rain sensor with auto headlight activation, Xenon headlights, High-beam Assistant, Auto dimming rear-view mirror)
Sun protection package (Windscreen with grey shade band, Sun protection glass)
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory
Through-loading system
Harman Kardon - Hi-Fi
Telephone USB audio interface
iPhone 4 Cradle
Enhanced Bluetooth functionality with USB audio interface
Black panel display
M Sport suspension
Model designation deletion

I've only managed 220 miles since receiving the car, and its very bloody impressive! Most of the miles were on my motorway journey in the pissing rain back from Shropshire to Buckinghamshire, and some additional quick A-road and round-town driving over the last couple of days. The car just feels so comfortable, but yet completely planted and effortless even given the heavy rain and standing water.

The only downside i've seen so far is the fuel economy, which even sat at 75-80mph on the motorway only returned ~32mpg average with v-power in the tank... hopefully this will improve!

The 125i and my brothers 125d...

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
dubman
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125iM

Looks great man.

I saw your bro's car earlier and your car detailing extravaganza.

Love the upholstery - we don't get that here in Australia - leather only with the m sport unfortunately.

I'd be interested to know how your m sport suspension compares to your bro's adaptive setup. I've ordered adaptive as I was a bit paranoid about 18" + sport suspension + run flats on Australian roads which are rubbish....
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Will you do mine? please!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
CrySmack
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i M Sport - ORDERED

Thanks for the pics ... Very nice Car
Congrats
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Great car, great pics!

Of course we all know the different engine characteristics of diesel and petrol, but it would be interesting to hear your driving impressions, a direct comparision of these two cars, with same hp and (almost) same suspension/chassis.

Thumbs up for the great little bimmer
      04-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Very nicely done! I'm not a member of the other detailing forum so couldn't ask the question there, but what did you use to polish the light clusters (headlights)?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

wow - very nice collection brothers - 2 loaded f20's.

so which one is better 125i vs. 125d?
      04-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Carto4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes 190E 2.3

Love that colour...

But I've got one question... I do also love black cars, but the problem is that it's hard to keep them clean, it's easy to see the dirt... But in gray cars it's hard to see if they're clean or not.

What about this color?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
Congratulations!
Seeing Mammuts photos, and your comment there about ordering one, left me aching...but now at last you have it! brilliant.
I'm putting my order in tomorrow...Estoril blue it has to be.
I decided to go for the 125i not the 125d since it would take me 6 years to recoup the price diff as I don't do that much mileage...maybe 5000-8000 miles a year.
Its certainly a great looking car. I'll post my pics when I get delivery.
Patrick

30-Apr-2012 Ordered it :-)
Estoril Blue with the black leather sports seats and pretty much all the extra bits, except i didn't spend £2k on the nav system nor did i want the sound system. Expecting July delivery - but awaiting the build confirm.

Last edited by Patrick BMW; 04-30-2012 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: update added.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Awesome pics and cars
You are staying in a very relaxing area
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicUK
... and got round to uploading some pictures after the 2nd epic detail on an estoril blue f20 in as many weeks.

I wont go through the whole detailing process again as the steps and work involved are the same as my brothers 125d which i posted about a couple of weeks ago.

I ordered the car about 2 months ago in mid-February, and have been counting down the days to its delivery ever since. Finally, last Friday, i picked her up!...

The car has the following spec -

BMW F20 125i M-Sport (2 litre turbo petrol), Manual
Estoril Blue
Anthracite Hexagon cloth/Alcantara upholstery
Driver comfort package (Servotronic Steering, Rear Park Distance Control, Cruise control with brake function)
Interior comfort package (Extended storage, Extended Interior Light Package)
Visibility package (Headlight wash, Rain sensor with auto headlight activation, Xenon headlights, High-beam Assistant, Auto dimming rear-view mirror)
Sun protection package (Windscreen with grey shade band, Sun protection glass)
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory
Through-loading system
Harman Kardon - Hi-Fi
Telephone USB audio interface
iPhone 4 Cradle
Enhanced Bluetooth functionality with USB audio interface
Black panel display
M Sport suspension
Model designation deletion

I've only managed 220 miles since receiving the car, and its very bloody impressive! Most of the miles were on my motorway journey in the pissing rain back from Shropshire to Buckinghamshire, and some additional quick A-road and round-town driving over the last couple of days. The car just feels so comfortable, but yet completely planted and effortless even given the heavy rain and standing water.

The only downside i've seen so far is the fuel economy, which even sat at 75-80mph on the motorway only returned ~32mpg average with v-power in the tank... hopefully this will improve!

The 125i and my brothers 125d...
I have the same car (except in 116i 6mt) coming end of may, and I just ordered £75 of gtechniq product because of you- I don't know wether to thank you or shout at you! Haha- I've never done polishing with a machine before, and don't plan on starting with my new baby.... So planning to skip the polish stage

I got:
G-Wash (250ml)
C5 Wheel Armour (15ml)
C6 Matte Dash (100ml)
G1 ClearVision (15ml)
G4 ClearVision (100ml)
MF1 Micro-fibre towels (x10)
MF2 Zero Scratch Microfibre Drying Towel

I already have:
AutoGlym high Definition Wax
Tuf Shine Tire Dressing Kit

Still missing from my detail:
Wash mitt
Clay bar / lube
70% IPA + spray bottle
A large undercover place to detail.... Any suggestions?

Any thoughts on my detailing line up? Would love to have some advice from you!

Last edited by iBeech; 04-30-2012 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #12
SonicUK
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
Looks great man.

I saw your bro's car earlier and your car detailing extravaganza.

Love the upholstery - we don't get that here in Australia - leather only with the m sport unfortunately.

I'd be interested to know how your m sport suspension compares to your bro's adaptive setup. I've ordered adaptive as I was a bit paranoid about 18" + sport suspension + run flats on Australian roads which are rubbish....
My brother has adaptive suspension because he was worried the m-sport would be too stiff on its own. Having driven the car in both sport and comfort his impression was that the sport setting was how he expected comfort to feel, so the stock m-sport suspension isn't too hard.

I've driven about 500 miles in mine now and i'm very impressed. The m-sport suspension is firm enough to let you know you're on a bumpy road, but not so firm that you require surgery afterwards! A very nice compromise IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
Very nicely done! I'm not a member of the other detailing forum so couldn't ask the question there, but what did you use to polish the light clusters (headlights)?
I used 3M Ultrafina with a 4" pad just to add that something extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
wow - very nice collection brothers - 2 loaded f20's.

so which one is better 125i vs. 125d?
Despite looking identical they are actually very different cars for different purposes.

My brothers is the auto-diesel intended for lots of miles with economy in mind and a long commute down slow A-roads, mine is the manual-petrol which isn't going to be doing as many miles and is intended as both a daily run-around and a fun drive.

The only thing i'd say so far is that i'm not getting great economy, but i still need to give the car time to run in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carto4 View Post
Love that colour...

But I've got one question... I do also love black cars, but the problem is that it's hard to keep them clean, it's easy to see the dirt... But in gray cars it's hard to see if they're clean or not.

What about this color?

Thanks
The car has done ~500 miles, mostly in heavy rain or with lots of standing water, since receiving it, and it's also spent all of it's time outside being battered by the elements.

It's got quite a bit of dirt on it, but still looks good, not as bad as black i'd say, but the rear does seem worse than everywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post
I have the same car (except in 116i 6mt) coming end of may, and I just ordered £75 of gtechniq product because of you- I don't know wether to thank you or shout at you! Haha- I've never done polishing with a machine before, and don't plan on starting with my new baby.... So planning to skip the polish stage

I got:
G-Wash (250ml)
C5 Wheel Armour (15ml)
C6 Matte Dash (100ml)
G1 ClearVision (15ml)
G4 ClearVision (100ml)
MF1 Micro-fibre towels (x10)
MF2 Zero Scratch Microfibre Drying Towel

I already have:
AutoGlym high Definition Wax
Tuf Shine Tire Dressing Kit

Still missing from my detail:
Wash mitt
Clay bar / lube
70% IPA + spray bottle
A large undercover place to detail.... Any suggestions?

Any thoughts on my detailing line up? Would love to have some advice from you!

I opted for the Gtechniq products to provide maximum protection and durability after all the prep-work, and to make future maintenance easier.

The key product for this IMO is the paint sealant, c1 (+ the new c1.5 silo seal), which i notice you haven't ordered.

I think c5 is good and easy to apply, but it's pretty expensive and for me all of the products live and die by how long they last given their high cost.

If i was you i'd have changed a few products around, used something different for the wheels to save money if needed, and put the money into getting c1/c1.5

A decent wash mitt and 2 buckets, 1 with a grid guard, are absolutely essential
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #13
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicUK View Post
I opted for the Gtechniq products to provide maximum protection and durability after all the prep-work, and to make future maintenance easier.

The key product for this IMO is the paint sealant, c1 (+ the new c1.5 silo seal), which i notice you haven't ordered.

I think c5 is good and easy to apply, but it's pretty expensive and for me all of the products live and die by how long they last given their high cost.

If i was you i'd have changed a few products around, used something different for the wheels to save money if needed, and put the money into getting c1/c1.5

A decent wash mitt and 2 buckets, 1 with a grid guard, are absolutely essential
Thanks. I was considering the C1 + C1.5. but the massive warnings all over it put me off... seems simple enough to apply- but they dont half know how to scare a bloke off! Pretty expensive as well....

Perhaps it'll be a future investment?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #14
SonicUK
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. I was considering the C1 + C1.5. but the massive warnings all over it put me off... seems simple enough to apply- but they dont half know how to scare a bloke off! Pretty expensive as well....

Perhaps it'll be a future investment?
Yeah the product is designated "professional use only", but primarily because it ideally requires the correct prep and is very expensive should you get it wrong.

Actually though it's extremely easy to apply.

If you're not polishing you just want to shampoo, clay, IPA then apply c1, leave it over night, then c1.5.

c1 -

c1.5 -
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah the product is designated "professional use only", but primarily because it ideally requires the correct prep and is very expensive should you get it wrong.

Actually though it's extremely easy to apply.

If you're not polishing you just want to shampoo, clay, IPA then apply c1, leave it over night, then c1.5.

c1 -

c1.5 -
thanks- no WAX after C1 / 1.5?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #16
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
and also, on C1 and C2- is taping needed to avoid contact with plastics / headlights / trim? or can it be applied to them?

+ do i need a hose down after applying IPA?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #17
SonicUK
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
C1/1.5 is a good combo - the c1 will last for years and provide a strong layer of protection over the paintwork, c1.5 will provide the hydrophobic properties to repel water, and you should re-apply c1.5 every 6 months or so.

You won't need any wax on-top of the 1.5, although you could apply wax over c1 if you wanted.

Quote:
and also, on C1 and C2- is taping needed to avoid contact with plastics / headlights / trim? or can it be applied to them also
If you're using c1/1.5 you wont need c2 as well.

Taping isn't needed for application no, this is only really used during polishing to stop the lacquer that you remove from getting everywhere, because it's a nightmare to clean-up!

c1/1.5 can be applied to plastics/headlights yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #18
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
C1/1.5 is a good combo - the c1 will last for years and provide a strong layer of protection over the paintwork, c1.5 will provide the hydrophobic properties to repel water, and you should re-apply c1.5 every 6 months or so.

You won't need any wax on-top of the 1.5, although you could apply wax over c1 if you wanted.

If you're using c1/1.5 you wont need c2 as well.

Taping isn't needed for application no, this is only really used during polishing to stop the lacquer that you remove from getting everywhere, because it's a nightmare to clean-up!

c1/1.5 can be applied to plastics/headlights yes.
hmph, interesting C1 i think is a definite must, as i chose not to have the guardex applied to my paint from the dealer, which i assume is something similar to C1, as they said it gives paint protection for years.

did you apply to your plastics / headlights?

I don't have a garage, and need opinions on where i can take my car to do this kind of work... any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #19
SonicUK
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I think the latest c1 actually comes with a small bottle of c1.5 which will keep you going for a while.

Yes i applied it to the plastic headlights and rear lights, and also plastic (but painted) trim such as the sills, wing mirrors and rear plastic "diffuser" thing.

You really want to do this in a garage yes, to stop anything landing on the car whilst you're applying the products, give the products time to cure, and you don't really want to apply them in direct sunlight, or get interrupted mid-way with a shower!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #20
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think the latest c1 actually comes with a small bottle of c1.5 which will keep you going for a while.

Yes i applied it to the plastic headlights and rear lights, and also plastic (but painted) trim such as the sills, wing mirrors and rear plastic "diffuser" thing.

You really want to do this in a garage yes, to stop anything landing on the car whilst you're applying the products, give the products time to cure, and you don't really want to apply them in direct sunlight, or get interrupted mid-way with a shower!
like the last time i washed my car- wash, clay, polish, wax- then a bird shat all down the top of it

I was thinking of using a public indoor car park to do it- any better ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #21
SonicUK
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
like the last time i washed my car- wash, clay, polish, wax- then a bird shat all down the top of it

I was thinking of using a public indoor car park to do it- any better ideas?
Just be prepared to leave it there over night, because you don't want to go driving around straight after applying c1!

I'd try to find a friend or relative that might be able to help - the garage pictured in my photo's is my brothers
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #22
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just be prepared to leave it there over night, because you don't want to go driving around straight after applying c1!

I'd try to find a friend or relative that might be able to help - the garage pictured in my photo's is my brothers
your brothers house is swank mate- will have to ask around
Appreciate 0