BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Alloy Scuff

11-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Alloy Scuff

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi Guys,

I swapped my Summer alloys out for the Winters this weekend, all was going well. I was cleaning the summer alloys ready to put them in the loft, all three alloys were leaning up against the house in what seemed a stable position drying at this point. Whilst carrying the last wheel to where i was cleaning them my welly must have brushed past one of the wheels (as i felt nothing) ... the next thing i heard was THUD. Face down went one of the alloys. Luckily enough for me most of the wheel landed on grass; ive been extremely lucky and theres a cluster of three tiny nicks on the outermost rim (spanning an area of about the size of your little finger nail) where it had landed on a paving slab edge. There are no dents/buckling to the rim and i gather that the tyre took most of the hit.

This really saddens me as in the past 10 years of driving ive not so much as scuffed an alloy. The tyre and the rest of the rim are in immaculate condition, not even a scuff on the tyre, no denting on the alloy etc.. and no cracks that i can see.

Has anyone had this misfortune happen to them before?

My major concern here is that there could be a miniscule crack that i cannot see that could either cause the tyre to leak or could worsen over time. Ive checked the entire rim over, ran my fingers across almost all surfaces and cannot feel anything let alone see anything. What im kinda asking here is for some reassurance, what do you guys think, if there was any sort of 'hairline' crack (as i hear peaple talking about them) would i be able to see it, and worse could there be one on the inside of the rim in the area covered by the tyre that i couldnt see, or would it be on the outermost edge where the impact came from?

I can live **kinda** with the scuffs, i just want to make sure theres no lasting structural damage.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Aluminium wheels are quite robust, and will bend quite a lot before cracking, original BMW rims in particular. I would not worry about structural damage after just falling over like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Aluminium wheels are quite robust, and will bend quite a lot before cracking, original BMW rims in particular. I would not worry about structural damage after just falling over like that.
Thanks Ovekvam! So would you say the force it took on this fall over was less than it would get if it was on a car and banged into a kerb? Rekon the tyres will be fine also from having such a force on the sidewalls only?

It just concerned me as these wheels are reasonably heavy when off the vehicle. Im probably worrying about nothing here tho, im just a novice on wheel damage thats all: and was soo annoyed at myself when it happened !!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
Thanks Ovekvam! So would you say the force it took on this fall over was less than it would get if it was on a car and banged into a kerb? Rekon the tyres will be fine also from having such a force on the sidewalls only?
Thanks
Yes, the energy of such an impact is very small compared to running the car into a kerb. The damage is surely only cosmetic.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Yes, the energy of such an impact is very small compared to running the car into a kerb. The damage is surely only cosmetic.
Thanks for that, a second oppinion always helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
I agree with Ovekvam!
Aluminium wheels are quite sturdy and can surely handle some damage before cracking.
I've had a LOT of damage on my old car's wheels from driving into the curbs and although it looked bad, the wheels structure were always fine.
You don't need to worry, for sure

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0