BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Heads or tails? The BMW 1er Compactive Sport Tourer and The MINI Traveller

07-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Heads or tails? The BMW 1er Compactive Sport Tourer and The MINI Traveller

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Heads or Tails?

Name:  25828b91.jpg
Views: 11489
Size:  238.1 KB

BMW 1er Compactive Sport Tourer & The MINI Traveller.

As part of a strategy to increase it's presence in the small city /UKL segment. We know that BMW has instigated a modular architecture that will underpin a series of new Premium city models both to wear MINI and for the first time BMW badges.

Given the move to Front Wheel Drive is instigating that BMW are no longer bound by their dogmas. The first two examples the MINI Traveller and BMW 1er Compactive Sport Tourer will showcase that it is not just "badge engineering". There is more to these two concepts than just flipping a coin.

The BMW 1er Compactive Sport Tourer.

This is what you see in the current wave of spy photographs around Munich. Although the BMW does not look like much in the scoop photographs it is fullfilling the intention of the camouflage which is to keep it simplistic and boring.

Autobild were asked (politely) to remove the Compactive Sport Tourer rendering (as shown above) Because it was too close to the final car for comfort. Although I have added such more prominent unseen features such as- since this is a 1er model it will continue the new generation 1er bloodline . So I have (poorly and quickly) rendered the car's distinctive family headlight shape which continues that "arrow shape at the inner edges , giving a more sportier and pronounced appearance. Also that BMW will offer "Premium luxury" features in this segment and indeed on this car, the LED option also shows how the top section which forms a lid over the twin double headlamps extends from the top and continues underneath the headlights. In the 6er for example this changes the inner shape of the lights and will do the same for the Compactive Sport Tourer.

One aspect evident in the scoop photographs is the obvious attempt to square off the rear of the car where it is more rounded and dynamic over the rear section.
This allows the glasshouse to extend upwards and become more "kicked-up" giving a more sportier profile without a huge expanse of glass. The" hoffmeister" kick is promonent at each side of the glasshouse , strong at the rear and although not as dynamic as the render the smaller quarterlight ahead of the mirrors at the A-pillar retains the "hoffmeister" theme aswell.

Under the camouflage there is equally strong surfaces , bringing the more three-dimensional "bloodline" from the F20 allowing the car to illustrate some mass. A diagonal character line runs from the rear , allowing expanded wheel arches both front and rear. A more delicate surface treatment stretches along the lower flanks of the car.

The rear continues the typical BMW L-Shape character , the look is similar in form to the BMW X1.

The interior uses similar form and function as the 1er but the advantages are clearer in the rear, where with the removal of the transmission tunnel. BMW have an advantage on rear passenger space in both head and legroom.

The BMW Compactive Sport Tourer is designed to be the more sportier offering of the new twins.
And will share not only the N20 family but also the Three-cylinder N37 family in it's entry level offerings. The BMW Compactive Sport Tourer will be one of five BMW FWD models and one part of the 10 planned new MINI's from the shared platform strategy.

The BMW FWD UKL Family in General.

BMW 1er CITY compact
BMW 1er Compactive Sport Tourer
BMW 1er Family Activity Sport Tourer (FAST)
BMW 1er Gran Turismo
BMW 1er Roadster

The MINI Traveller .

If there is one phrase to describe the brief for the MINI Traveller then it is named the "swiss-army-knife MINI variant". It's internal name is "Spacebox" because it is all about increasing practicality and flexibility of a MINI for the MINI customer who has to move to another brand because they have a family that has grown or simply they need more space.

In order to show how the MINI brand can be accomodated with a concept that is less van in appearance - The MINI Traveller will be shown as a Concept car in the not-so-distant future to showcase how innovation is achieved not only from the outside but also from the inside.

The theme for the Traveller is very much "Access all areas" and uses the typical MINI solutions to passenger access such as rear-hinged doors and barn doors which could be configured Clubman style or in a 60/40 opening allowing smaller bags to be stored via a smaller door and vice versa.
BMW believe that MINI with it's innovative approach to access furthers and distinguishes it's identity from its forthcoming BMW siblings.

The overall look of the Traveller is very much MINI. The dimensions are compact and the front overhang is kept short. In essence the MINI Traveller is very much like a larger Clubman. It's internal term "Spacebox" is derived from the spacious interior and also the expanse of glass which gives the MINI Traveller an abundance of light including a larger panoramic roof which allows the interior to look larger than it is. The appearance of the MINI Traveller is very much MINI III - raked headlights and larger grille determines the facial features , whilst at the rear they are experimenting with high level taillamps in the C-pillars.

The MINI interior though expands on practicality with additional storage points increasing flexibility but in a unique MINI way. So you will have reverse-hinged storage compartments in some parts of the car.

The MINI/UKL Family

MINI III
MINI Cabrio III
MINI Clubman
MINI Traveller
MINI Countryman (current and future)
MINI Paceman Sport Activity Coupe
MINI Coupe (current)
MINI Roadster (current)

MINI Sports Car Project *
MINI Rocketman
* ( If the MINI Coupe and MINI Roadster are successful , replacements could see the Coupe merge into a stand alone project not using a Current (or future) MINI but use a bespoke body with possible Roadster)

The new strategy for UKL/MINI is derived from a new modular platform which like the larger matrix of the F20 and F30 can be stretched and shrunk via modular applications, providing which model will sit on top. The new strategy and the sharing of both N20 and N37 engine families will allow BMW to increase it's profitability in the long run for this segment , something which could not be achieved with MINI alone. With combined MINI/BMW UKL sales BMW are expecting production and sales output to surpass both the 1er and 3er by 2020.
Sustainable Powertrains have not been forgotten either with the new platform. Aswell as the option of all-wheel-drive which could be spread throughout other MINI's including the MINI III hatch.

Customers downsizing and new and existing customers who want more flexibility and space are the key. BMW has tested the Compactive Sport Tourer within a clinic of clients who own MPV's.
And customers were very interested in the BMW and gave it top-marks because of it's unique style and flexibility over the range of cars brought in to oversee from mainstream volume manufacturers.
This segment is also expected to grow by 45% per year and BMW are projecting that both the Compactive Sport Tourer and MINI Traveller will be taking the bulk of this percentage.
      07-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Looks like that would make a really good daily.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Jury is still out on this one
      07-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
satish_141
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Ugly

Both cars are ugly looking!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #5
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

OH GOD, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

What happened to you, BMW? Electric steering, FWD, and now ugly designs? If this continues (especially the electric steering), the '11 X5 is the last BMW I'll ever buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Personal opinion. For something to be driven as a daily with very low fuel consumption, I think the design works. It's not the best looking but it shows that it's a MINI/BMW but keeping it subtle letting people know that you're driving something to just get around in. I'm sure BMW will add their touches to make it a BMW but the basis of the car (looks included) I like and I would not be embarrassed/ashamed to be driving one of these.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I like the Mini Traveler the best.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
misk
Ja gut
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Out of proportion on the front end for the BMW, maybe it will grow once it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #9
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

If the BMW looked EXACTLY like that I'd be ok with it.

As for the Mini, what's the point? It's the same size as the Countryman and the Clubman is the modern Traveller (barn doors and everything), so adding this new Traveller to the mix seems WAY redundant.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #10
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 of Many

[QUOTE=
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post

What happened to you, BMW? Electric steering, FWD, and now ugly designs? If this continues (especially the electric steering), the '11 X5 is the last BMW I'll ever buy.
Plus 1! Very dissapointing . FWD? I mean, its not a BMW anymore - its an Audi. :'(. BMW is no longer pure or the Ultimate Driving Machine. I guarantee FWD will not bring Joy but bring miserable, understeering, torque steering, ugly crap. That annoying tug from the front when pulling out of a corner trying to turn your steering wheel will be there for the first time and that is really sad. . Note Aston Martin Cygnet - similar story isn't it. Its all about manufacturer emissions - BLOODY EU!!!!!! I hope the USA doesn't get this hideous snot box.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
If the BMW looked EXACTLY like that I'd be ok with it.

As for the Mini, what's the point? It's the same size as the Countryman and the Clubman is the modern Traveller (barn doors and everything), so adding this new Traveller to the mix seems WAY redundant.
The MINI Traveller will be longer than the next Clubman which now becomes more like a stylised Shooting Brake. Traveller is also taller and more spacious.
      07-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Plus 1! Very dissapointing . FWD? I mean, its not a BMW anymore - its an Audi. :'(. BMW is no longer pure or the Ultimate Driving Machine. I guarantee FWD will not bring Joy but bring miserable, understeering, torque steering, ugly crap. That annoying tug from the front when pulling out of a corner trying to turn your steering wheel will be there for the first time and that is really sad. . Note Aston Martin Cygnet - similar story isn't it. Its all about manufacturer emissions - BLOODY EU!!!!!! I hope the USA doesn't get this hideous snot box.
BMW intend to rewrite the rules on what a Premium FWD car should be and how it should drive... Wait and see. You will be surprised.

BMW already do FWD and do it exceptionally well ... Look at the MINI.
      07-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #14
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
If it was FWD it would be a VW. If it was AWD it would be an Audi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The MINI Traveller will be longer than the next Clubman which now becomes more like a stylised Shooting Brake. Traveller is also taller and more spacious.
Do you mean the Clubman or Countryman? The Clubman is MUCH smaller than even the current Countryman so if the Traveller is really only slightly larger than the Clubbie that'll make it the same as the Countryman. If it's the same size as the Countryman (or close to it) that's beyond silly. Obviously I know where you get the info and I'm hoping you really meant it's larger than the Countryman or I really don't see the point of the Traveller. There's not really a need for a Mini larger than a Clubman but smaller than a Countryman, especially with the pending JCW Countryman a couple of months away.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Audi have gotten to where they are today offering FWD across the line-up right up to the A8 on the previous generation. Will this really harm BMW in any tangible way... I doubt it hugely.

I have faith the BMW will make a good car.. will it be popular.. well, that's down to the market reaction... but I see no reason why not.

As for the MINI's, I doubt care in the slightest, so long as MINI keeps making large amounts of money for BMW I'm happy!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #16
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post

I totally agree. If BMW makes FWD cars, that is just... wrong!! Come on BMW! Did you guys forget what BMW is really about? Think about you guys old FWD rabbit commercial and you will know why you guys didnt make FWD and why we dont want you guys to make FWD.

BTW, I think X5 might not be you last BMW, you can still consider BMW ///M
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #17
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW intend to rewrite the rules on what a Premium FWD car should be and how it should drive... Wait and see. You will be surprised.

BMW already do FWD and do it exceptionally well ... Look at the MINI.
Well, but SCOTT, as a BMW guy, I think you should know this better than anyone of us. Those FWD cars are not BMW, they are Mini. When people say Mini is fun, they are using Mini standard, not Bavarian. I believe if BMW makes FWD, yes, it WILL be better than other FWDs, but really, dont you guys remember the Bavarian spirit? Can you ever compare a FWD Audi with BMW? Only 4WD Audi can have the possibility to compete with BMW. You guys are going to make FWD just because of that emission thing? Well, look at the BMW lineup now! They are fuel efficient! Look at that amazing 560hp M5! It has 31 MPG on highway! Come on! You guys are really amazing, and that's why I like BMW! First is that Twin Turbo, and the 62 mpg i8, 31 mpg M5. You guys should not be Audi's follower, you are pioneers. Please, show us that BMW spirit again, and please, don't ever lose it. and if you guys really want to make FWD, let it be Mini.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it was AWD it would be an Audi.
No, it's not. That is if it is a FWD based AWD, it is an Audi. But since BMW AWD is RWD based, no, they are not the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #19
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypon83 View Post
Well, but SCOTT, as a BMW guy, I think you should know this better than anyone of us. Those FWD cars are not BMW, they are Mini. When people say Mini is fun, they are using Mini standard, not Bavarian. I believe if BMW makes FWD, yes, it WILL be better than other FWDs, but really, dont you guys remember the Bavarian spirit? Can you ever compare a FWD Audi with BMW? Only 4WD Audi can have the possibility to compete with BMW. You guys are going to make FWD just because of that emission thing? Well, look at the BMW lineup now! They are fuel efficient! Look at that amazing 560hp M5! It has 31 MPG on highway! Come on! You guys are really amazing, and that's why I like BMW! First is that Twin Turbo, and the 62 mpg i8, 31 mpg M5. You guys should not be Audi's follower, you are pioneers. Please, show us that BMW spirit again, and please, don't ever lose it. and if you guys really want to make FWD, let it be Mini.
They are not fuel efficient enough to meet future requirements, BMW are already being fined (albeit less than their competitors) for being over the required level.

Also, as VAG strengthen their position globally BMW are expected to just leave them to it?

Please people, try to keep some perspective on this.. BMW are adding FWD models to the bottom end of the range, they are not replacing their line-up with FWD cars, you will still be able to buy the RWD cars that you like....

CHOICE DOES NOT EQUAL CHANGE!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #20
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, it's not. That is if it is a FWD based AWD, it is an Audi. But since BMW AWD is RWD based, no, they are not the same.
With the exception of the A3, ALL new Audis use RWD-biased AWD. So again, a FWD BMW would be more of a VW than an Audi.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #21
imbimmer
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
With the exception of the A3, ALL new Audis use RWD-biased AWD. So again, a FWD BMW would be more of a VW than an Audi.
But that's exactly why BMW develops the UKL platform ... which is to steal the thunder from A3, GTI et al. Leave the A4/5/6 to the 3/5/6 series which will eat them all for snack. :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #22
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Not 4 me.