BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Photo: Inside Scoop of Upcoming 1-series GT (FWD)

01-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #23
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
Hmm. People seem to have a lot of strong negative vibes based on one relatively poor quality image. I'd like to see more before forming my opinion.
I actually think the image is ok--I think this could be a hot little ride, assuming of course that it performs in a similar fashion to my 135...

My problem is the FWD being trickled into the "regular" series, be it the 1 or any other...I was under the impression that the "i" designation was slated for FWD, but that the 1,3,5, and 7 would always be RWD....

I understand that the company wants to stay independent...and wants to sell more vehicles...but this type of thinking, aka "we are the car company that can do everything" hasn't worked out historically...just ask Ford and GM...

When you go this route, you lose your brand identity...hard to imagine vehicles like this as "the ultimate driving machine"....

How do #1 premium car company and FWD econobox go together? That's right, they don't...
      01-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #24
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I actually think the image is ok--I think this could be a hot little ride, assuming of course that it performs in a similar fashion to my 135...

My problem is the FWD being trickled into the "regular" series, be it the 1 or any other...I was under the impression that the "i" designation was slated for FWD, but that the 1,3,5, and 7 would always be RWD....

I understand that the company wants to stay independent...and wants to sell more vehicles...but this type of thinking, aka "we are the car company that can do everything" hasn't worked out historically...just ask Ford and GM...

When you go this route, you lose your brand identity...hard to imagine vehicles like this as "the ultimate driving machine"....

+56,000
      01-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #25
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes, BMW is the company that can do everything except a Z4 M CSL.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #26
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Quote:

EXACTLY! I think they are making a mistake, but the money guys must be pushing this plan like no other.

If they want fuel economy why don't the do something truly "independent", like make rear-engine RWD economy cars that can be safe with driver aids but still fun for the tweakers and sport drivers? They have Mini for a reason......
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #27
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
+56,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
EXACTLY! I think they are making a mistake, but the money guys must be pushing this plan like no other.

If they want fuel economy why don't the do something truly "independent", like make rear-engine RWD economy cars that can be safe with driver aids but still fun for the tweakers and sport drivers? They have Mini for a reason......
I just don't like the looks of this direction...I mean, who do they want to be? VW?

Just stick with what got you here--the formula has worked for a long time...add in all the wonderful new technology and engineering you want, but keeping the overall message and focus the same...but you start going in this direction and plenty of people will get turned off...
      01-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #28
Haides
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:

How do #1 premium car company and FWD econobox go together? That's right, they don't...
i was thinking that too,i love concept behind 1 gt but why fwd,its big it should be rwd!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #29
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
If anything BMW are adapting to their original strategy.
Independence just does not flow through the companies philosophy but it is present in everything BMW puts it's ideas to.
innovation , marketing.
BMW are the market leader in reduction of vehicle emissions.
BMW is the worlds no1 Premium manufacturer.
BMW is the segment leader in nearly every segment it is present in.
BMW showcase an individuality in product and design independence.

But most importantly BMW connect with the enthusiast driver whilst others try and fail.

As I have mentioned before the key segments to look for growth is the UKL/CITY/MINI , Premium Compact and Premium Entry. BMW have invested to make sure that their products in these segments are not only individual but also desirable. Within these segments are all-important sectors which BMW is not present in. By aligning BMW with MINI the two can co-exist and become cost-effective to introduce a choice of variants across the two brands. By the end of this decade - the combined MINI and BMW FWD series are projected to show sales of 800,000 units helping BMW meet it's 2 million units in 2020.

The GT is BMW's answer to the large slice of the MPV segment in europe where the passenger is more important. BMW did not want a Van with an all-round glasshouse they wanted something that offers a spacious interior and great flexibility but in a car-like dynamic shape. A car that will offer mainstream volume competitors a very difficult time in the market. Especially for customers who want a more premium choice when choosing a car of this type.

I am excited about this. Heres why...

First off, I dont like the design, I dont like Front wheel drive, nor do I really care about megacity, eco, or passenger oriented vehicles. BUT, I do LOVE and value my M3, I loved my previous M3s, and even non-M BMWs I've owned.

With that said, BMW NEEDS to make money. While its so easy for us to sit back and criticize the decisions being made to offer these small, FF vehicles and non performance oriented vehicles, BMW is fighting one heck of a difficult battle against the likes of audi and MB.

Unlike BMW, Audi has an incredible amount of resources at its disposal. Technology, information, parts, and MONEY are shared amongst the parent company VW. Audi's family is very big. Audi is part of a 10 BRAND family including VW, Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Bentley, to name a few.

Whereas BMW only has BMW, Mini, and license to Rolls Royce.

BMW does not have 16-20k eco cars like VW does that are insane money makers for VW and in return fund Audi to make cars that will eventually kick BMWs ass. Nor does BMW have insanely HIGH profit yielding vehicles that Porsche does as the highest profit margin auto maker in the world.

So, do you want BMW to start charging you $150,000 for an M3? Do you want BMW to lose in the long run against Audi due to lack of funds and resources? Or would you rather they make a new "money maker" segment like eco FF passenger cars to fund the development of the enthusiast cars we REALLY like??

I'm all for it. BMW, make what you have to make, weather it be ugly, front wheel drive, whatever... as long as you make enough money to afford to make the badass cars you are known for making, without having to water them down or passing high cost over to your loyal clients.

Bravo on your efforts to do it on your own, instead of merging or selling the BMW brand to a bigger company to survive.
      01-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #30
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Scott - why does your sig line say: "i CAN'T WAIT 02/11" ???

What is coming up in Feb - in a few days?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #31
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Groundhog day!

I am a bit confused. Is the new 1 series going to be FWD? Do the 1 series coupe and convertible as we know them go away, or do these reemerge as the 2 series?
      01-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #32
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

alot of comedy and pissed of people in this thread for the right reasons. I like it.

Scott, from a business standpoint, i understand why BMW is expanding down this road if only to lose marketshare if not?

If so can you explain why market share is a big deal? It doesn't help avoid a buy out or does it?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #33
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by F25X3 View Post
So is the next gen 1ser a FWD or just this GT?

I think Scott said(in past threads): that at first, the new one series (F20 1er) will be RWD - like in the photos of the red (or white) car(s) with snow chains on the rear wheels.

Then later, over time... the 1er will evolve into FWD. I suspect the 1er GT will be the first of this new FWD platform. Probably all of the third generation 1er's will be FWD for sure.

Scott also said that the high HP versions of the 1er (ie: 135i and 1M) will remain RWD for the F20 life span.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #34
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123d View Post
looks like a hatchback version of a prius.

yes, horrible. 1 series hatchbacks are cool, but we dont get them in US. instead we get these fugly GTs.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #35
GoGeo
Private
Rep
Drives: 135

I actually really like the car and look forward to it. I think that BMW made a huge mistake by not releasing the 1 series hatchback to our market....plus, it also, in an odd kind of way reminds me of...

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #36
Harajuku
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Finally I can put a BMW badge on my Toyota Venza and no one will know the difference...

what a car...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #37
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:

This report says that BMW will announce the name of the Mega City Vehicle on February 21st. The lowercase i makes me think that's what Scott is referring to.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #38
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

why cant we just get the hatch? who decided that Americans want these ugly GT models instead of a hatch?
      01-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #39
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Well, I see some explanation on the FWW/RWD dichotomy in the 1 series, but I am not convinced that the next 1 series will offer an I6, although I am sure the 3 series will.
      01-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #40
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I think it looks pretty good for its intended market segment.
Besides why are u guys so negative? If you don't like it then don't buy it. Sales of this car is going to fund your future RWD car from BMW..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #41
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
I am excited about this. Heres why...

First off, I dont like the design, I dont like Front wheel drive, nor do I really care about megacity, eco, or passenger oriented vehicles. BUT, I do LOVE and value my M3, I loved my previous M3s, and even non-M BMWs I've owned.

With that said, BMW NEEDS to make money. While its so easy for us to sit back and criticize the decisions being made to offer these small, FF vehicles and non performance oriented vehicles, BMW is fighting one heck of a difficult battle against the likes of audi and MB.

Unlike BMW, Audi has an incredible amount of resources at its disposal. Technology, information, parts, and MONEY are shared amongst the parent company VW. Audi's family is very big. Audi is part of a 10 BRAND family including VW, Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Bentley, to name a few.

Whereas BMW only has BMW, Mini, and license to Rolls Royce.

BMW does not have 16-20k eco cars like VW does that are insane money makers for VW and in return fund Audi to make cars that will eventually kick BMWs ass. Nor does BMW have insanely HIGH profit yielding vehicles that Porsche does as the highest profit margin auto maker in the world.

So, do you want BMW to start charging you $150,000 for an M3? Do you want BMW to lose in the long run against Audi due to lack of funds and resources? Or would you rather they make a new "money maker" segment like eco FF passenger cars to fund the development of the enthusiast cars we REALLY like??

I'm all for it. BMW, make what you have to make, weather it be ugly, front wheel drive, whatever... as long as you make enough money to afford to make the badass cars you are known for making, without having to water them down or passing high cost over to your loyal clients.

Bravo on your efforts to do it on your own, instead of merging or selling the BMW brand to a bigger company to survive.
Well put!!!! That's exactly it! If they don't have the money, they will not continue to be able to build the cars we all love.
      01-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #42
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:

This is what's coming in February... And, what I believe Scott is referring too.

http://bmwactivatethefuture.com/
      01-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #43
0321ZT
Audimer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Too audi a3 lol!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #44
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I actually kind of like it. I guess we just have to get used to BMW no longer being only a performance company, but also being a little mainstream. Once they stick to making a few strong performance cars like the M3, I can careless what they do to fatten their wallets.
Appreciate 0