BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i: The North Wales Tour

05-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #23
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Great story and pics...thank you!

As a matter of interest, does everyone's cars get a dirty rear end, especially if it's a bit wet? By that I mean obviously some sucked back dirt and road grime, as well as some exhaust carbon?
Yes indeed.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #24
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post

Interesting profile of drivers....seems the M135i appeals to a certain age group of fashion unconscious, denim loving males...(I would fit right in)
What you trying to say Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #25
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Its a shame they're still a little bit ugly and a bit cheap on the inside, but, there's no doubt they're very good value for money and go like stink! I'd have one.. I prefer the blue out of the lineup there... also I'd like to see one in orange too...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #26
Juswokap
Enlisted Member
China
Rep
Drives: E89 z4

Thisis amazing we also have kinda same bimmer gathering in the spring time.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
Ivan Ho
Captain Fantastic
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 330ci

Groovy :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #28
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Aut Urban

Do it again in summertime and I'll join you from sunny -burning by then- south Spain...!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #29
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
Cool. Glad you took pictures. Just try to get 30 per second next time
Actually, the in car is at 60fps. But I haven't had time to go through the 100GB of video yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
Cool pics, the weather never cooperates on that island,
don't know how people deal with that.
I would be------>
Last what's the deal with all cars being automatic???
Is this for fuel economy, new edge of people or just too lazy to shift?
The auto is quicker and more economical than the manual! For the average driver the difference is probably even greater. No fumbling for a gear at the last moment, just a quick flick of the paddle and put your foot down again.

I'd say that for the average driver the only time you would miss the manual is driving at 50-75%. Below that the auto wafts along, and above that the concentration required means that paddles / auto are quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to post. It looked a great road trip. My cars on order and thanks to your post which a reassured me I've ordered the right colour (silver) No offence to any other owners of course. Out of interest didn't any of your route include the "Top Gear" road?
If you mean the Black Mountain Pass, then no. Just too far south to do in a day. There's a lot more Wales that we could have done, maybe next time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Great pics,,,,,love the coordinated car park and in-car scenic shots.

Interesting profile of drivers....seems the M135i appeals to a certain age group of fashion unconscious, denim loving males...(I would fit right in)

Regarding UK weather....there's an expression that goes something like;
"Don't like the weather? Give it 5 minutes; it'll change"

Also interesting the predominance of ATs. I have always hated ATs so was particularly nervous about ordering my car with AT, despite being really impressed at the test drive. Having driven the car for 1000 miles, partly on some really 'interesting' Yorkshire roads, I love the gearbox but am still adapting my driving style. The AT needs a very different approach given the lack of clutch and the speed of the shifts and I'm still not finding the rhythm that seemed intuitive with MT. Its in there for sure but requires a very different style of breaking and down shifting. Possibly has to do with needing to limit the revs, which is quite difficult in a car that shifts so quickly and revs so freely
I pretty much spent the day in Sport using the paddles. You almost have to forget about gears with so many on offer and just react and shift up / down as the car seems to need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Great story and pics...thank you!

As a matter of interest, does everyone's cars get a dirty rear end, especially if it's a bit wet? By that I mean obviously some sucked back dirt and road grime, as well as some exhaust carbon?
Being a hatch, the back end does get a bit dirty. Some before and after shots from it's clean today:

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #30
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Front page feature has led to too many Americans on here

But great write up and pics Matt! I look forward or similar when northern meet 6 occurs!
      05-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #31
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Nice trip! Should coordinate with us 1M and M3 owners for future drives.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #32
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Check out e90post northern meet for a very similar meet soon for those interested!
      05-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #33
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
That's one heck of a awesome drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #34
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Such a shame you all bought the wrong transmission (bar the old skool 135i) .

The only thing missing from the day was a leary Zed wagging its tale happily .

Well done Tim & Matt organising.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #35
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Here is the breakdown of the day and a few more pics (some duplicated, as this is from our other fourm as well)

We met west of Chester 10am, ready for a 240 mile route through some of the best roads in North Wales.

Most of us were relatively local, but several of the members travelled up early or stayed over.
Routes were uploaded to all the car's Pro Navs, which allowed everyone to follow the same roads, broken down by 6 legs (Matt is a genius at this route stuff)

We had a roll call of 6 M-Lites, and the grey sheep of the group, a lovely 135i coupe. All cars had been washed, except for one (Alex!), but with hindsight this was a total waste of time!

Thanks to guys for the pictures (alex and burn have taken yours from the meet thread). Below are mine pics as well, with the SLR ones are Matt's.

We then all fuelled up with VPower at the Shell station on site, conscious that we didn't want to run low on fuel in the middle of the route. err hum, see below!

Needless to say, we caused a bit of a blockage at even this big fuel station, with M135i's everywhere!

Traffic was quite bad as we went into Wales, and then the weather turned and it started raining. However, as the traffic died down, our pace upped and we all began to enjoy the drive.

As the saying goes, the sun shines on the bold (as I announced over the radio) and at the Evo Triangle the road seemed to dry up with the sun illuminating the amazing scenery.

Bryn commented on how technical the first leg of the triangle was, while Mark talked about how different it was when doing it clockwise! The thing that impressed me most was the amount of fun we had at a road legal speed, and how much the M135i had in reserve still.

No pics of the triangle as we were having too much fun, but we then drove to a near by damn, for a much needed stretch of legs, oh and to help Dave turn on his adaptive suspension!

It was then time for another leg, down to Machynlleth for lunch and to do the Mach Loop. I led for this run and its far to say the weather got really bad with very heavy rain. However, it was still fun to press on, and in one of the low flying valleys the sun did shine for a couple of minutes!

We had amazing local produce lunch at Number Twenty one in Machynlleth, and the service was good for all 13 of us on the biggest table! Perhaps a telling factor of the lack of spring weather were all the tea's and coffee's we ordered!

The next leg took us up to Llyn trawsfynydd nuclear power station, with the rain seeming to be clearing up a good pace was set. The only snag came when a sheep stepped in front of Matt (i was behind him). Matt stood on the ABS, then lifted off as the sheep backed away. I witnessed first hand, how the electronics can help calm a potential crisis. Its worth pointing out, that before I left home, I smashed my iPhone on a run (don't ask ). While both Matt and I prefer Sport +, we both decided that Sport would be the most sensible option for the weather (and me not smashing my other expensive shiny thing). This sheep incident proved we were right!

There were also a lot of roadworks on this leg, with most drivers kindly moving over for our convoy. At one point an MG Rover was leading the pack, and set a good pace, although for some reason couldn't shake the 7 135i's in his review mirror

Another season then came and this is where the weather turned really for the worse, lighting, thunder and a hail storm all in one! As we pulled away from the roadworks, the road was covered with ice and the temp dropped to 6c.

Very surreal, the storm was gone as quickly as it had arrived.

The weather then kept clear as we arrived at Llyn trawsfynydd. Bryn informed us that he worked in the nuclear industry and now way would he swim in that lake!

The decommissioned nuclear buildings gave me the creeps to be honest!

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/...psf1696a42.jpg

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/...psf1696a42.jpg

Unfortunately, Mark now had to leave the group to get his lad back for work. As his 135i coupe wailed into the distance, we all noticed how different the M135i exhaust sounds to it.

The next leg was then up toward Llanberris, and I think everybody rated this as the best leg.

Hairpin after hairpin, a max speed of 50-60 then back on the brakes. The sun was out now, but it was still cold. I had all 4 windows down, the heater set to max and my heated seat set to 2 - i was just warm enough, but the sound of 6 M135i's howling up the valley was amazing. I was fourth in the convoy and at one T-junction there was a distinctive 'cooking M135i' smell . mmmm lovely.

I think this is the leg that really made my fuel needle drop!

We got to Llanberris lake, buzzing after the best drive of the day

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/...psf86ba18b.jpg

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/...ps79dc06cd.jpg

We then decided to go and get a proper coffee so headed over to LLanberris centre. However we seemed to be the last tourists in town, and we had the place to ourselves!. So with several artistic directors guiding us, we decided to go for the arty shots

Needless to say, it took a while to get these

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3bb8785f.jpg

The final leg took us near the Evo Triangle again and back west, with the stunning Llanberris pass to clear first.

We also used the radio's with impressive effect, helping guide overtakes when you would be a bit unsure by yourself. it was a very strange feeling though when Matt and I passed that tractor with Bryn and Dave guiding us.The tractor driver was not impressed!

At this point we neared Betws-y-Coed, our planned Shell fuel stop, and Dave A announced over the radio shall we stop. My range was at 86 miles and I still had quarter of a tank, so I said no. Everybody else agreed and we pressed on….bit of a mistake.

Over the next 20 miles, Bryn and Dave seemed to know the roads and up the pace, this resulted in my range warning coming on at 180 miles (a new personal best, ) it then rapidly headed down to 36 miles with the fuel gauge in free-fall. Matt had 50 miles, and Dave at the front smugly said he still had 70 miles showing! Thankfully at our last stop we came to a petrol station (a Shell luckily, as I had 5p fuel vouchers for everybody) and we took all the pumps up! This was much to the chagrin of a local polo driver who had to wait, and then hurled abuse at Dave and his 'gayer' mates. He then forced another car out of the way, to put his £3 of fuel first…what a dickhead.

We then had a final stop at a pub, with Dave heading off. Followed by Alex on his long drive back to MK. With 4 of us left, we had a drink and chatted about even more car stuff! Never has a diet coke tasted so good! I then limped home, shattered but buzzing at what these amazing cars are really capable off.

Thanks to everybody who came, as it was the people first who made this a epic road trip.

Oh and the cars were absolutely filthy :thumbs:

Tim
      05-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #36
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Such a shame you all bought the wrong transmission (bar the old skool 135i) .

The only thing missing from the day was a leary Zed wagging its tale happily .

Well done Tim & Matt organising.
Ask Tim about the shapes I was making when a sheep hopped a fence and jumped down the embankment just in front of us!

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #37
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Trawsfynydd is where we stay in the log cabin mate; you'd have blasted right past the front door. Great write up.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #38
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Next time you should try to include a Valencia Orange car into your convoy. It would complement the blue cars in a nice way.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #39
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
An E82 never looked so handsome as it does in this company lol

Just giving you guys a hard time Looks like a real blast!
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #40
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
I find the e82 never looked so outdated with all these brandnew F20's around. I really love these cars from all angles!
Nice pics and nice trip!
Congrats!

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #41
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp
Trawsfynydd is where we stay in the log cabin mate; you'd have blasted right past the front door. Great write up.
Ahha yes would of blown the doors off