BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Return lease 2mo only but still pay?

11-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Return lease 2mo only but still pay?

Just thinking out loud here...

I'm near the end of my current BMW lease and thinking about buying a CPO BMW outright, although from a different dealer.

I'm aware that its not worth the hassle to avoid making the remaining payments but would they let me return the car now or soon and no longer be responsible for it, assuming it passed inspection, or is it the rule that it's my responsibility until the lease ends?

I know I should just ask, but my guy at my current dealer is away until Tuesday, and I don't really want to get into it with anyone else. Just asking for opinions.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves
Just thinking out loud here...

I'm near the end of my current BMW lease and thinking about buying a CPO BMW outright, although from a different dealer.

I'm aware that its not worth the hassle to avoid making the remaining payments but would they let me return the car now or soon and no longer be responsible for it, assuming it passed inspection, or is it the rule that it's my responsibility until the lease ends?

I know I should just ask, but my guy at my current dealer is away until Tuesday, and I don't really want to get into it with anyone else. Just asking for opinions.
I'm not sure if you would be eligible to take advantage of the Pull Ahead program, but you should inquire about that.

I am taking advantage of the pull ahead program by turning in my current lease three months earlier than the maturity date for a new lease, and the process is pretty simple through BMW FS. The actual dealership is irrelevant.

Not sure that would work for you because your plan is to buy a CPO car, but it may be worth a shot for you
      11-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

I was assuming that pull-ahead would not be an option unless I was getting another lease. I'm also assuming I'll have to pay the $350 disbursement fee. I doubt that the other dealer would want to buy out the lease as it looks to be way underwater (KBB says ~$29K trade-in and payoff is $35,500!) I guess I could just leave it in the garage and I'd only be out the extra insurance for the overlap period, but...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Lease contracts are always a dealer win. No matter how you cut it. If you are getting into another car they might be able to cancel the contract. Don't forget dealers have a lot of room to play on CPO. Just the depreciation on M3/4 are around 56-60%. Just do the math and the residual price is what you need to pay to buy the car. That price will be less than going out there and buying the same car from another dealer. In other words if your residual value is 35k, the dealer can be selling that car for 40-42k. Believe me they have enough room no work with on used cars. That is exactly why they will give you a good deal when you are returning a lease car with clean carfax. If the carfax is not clean it will go to auction. So going back to your lease end....if your car is clean and you are getting into another lease contract, most probably they will end the lease before the end. This is why you can find better deals on auctioned cars sold be independent dealers and these guys are already making some money. Imagine a dealer. They will give u a low trade in value (win #1) and then they will sell it for top $$$$ (win #2). Thats why they are called the Stealerships!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

You shouldn't have an issue. A lease is just a contract. If you pay it off I'm sure they'll take it back early. I just ordered an M3. My lease isn't up until August next year. I am able to pay what's left and return the car when mine gets here. I'd keep it until lease end but don't have room to park it without it being an inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Pull ahead can be used if you buy a CPO car as well. Just did it when turning in my 335i to get into my 128i. I had to pay a little bit out of pocket but was not hit with a disposition fee. Poor financial move on my part but 6 speed 128's are unicorns. Ended up being a wash between refunded DMV fees and lower insurance, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 02:36 AM   #7
Z4M_LEV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 750i, F30, Q50S, VW

You can return your car 6 months prior to the original end date, and they'll wave the $350 fee. I've asked multiple times since I wanted to trade my 335i for an M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
I guess I could just leave it in the garage and I'd only be out the extra insurance for the overlap period, but...
Call your insurance and tell them it's not going to be driven for the next couple months and will be garaged. They can give you a substantially reduced rate (80-90% lower) for the remaining time you have the car.

I did this when my STI arrived early and I still had 3 months left on my 135i lease. They dropped the monthly rate on the 135i to something like $10-$15/mo.

Just make sure you call the insurance company to get the full coverage restored if you do drive it to turn it in.
      11-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
Call your insurance and tell them it's not going to be driven for the next couple months and will be garaged. They can give you a substantially reduced rate (80-90% lower) for the remaining time you have the car.

I did this when my STI arrived early and I still had 3 months left on my 135i lease. They dropped the monthly rate on the 135i to something like $10-$15/mo.

Just make sure you call the insurance company to get the full coverage restored if you do drive it to turn it in.
If you are going to store a leased car without any ability to drive it I would assume that worst case is you could pay the remaining months and turn it in early. I can't see why the dealer/manufacturer wouldn't be happy with this arrangement as they are getting the agreed upon payments for the car and having the chance to sell a slightly newer car.