BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW i8 children's riding toy at Walmart

11-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #23
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
You don't get it. Have you ever driven an i8? I don't mean around the block...I mean actually driven an i8 for more than 100 miles, or so?

If you haven't, I can state without qualification that you don't know what you are talking about. Completely clueless.

Is it perfect? No. But then neither are any of the cars on your list, either.
I love my car. I don't care about the money...my peace of mind and the enjoyment I gain is more important!!

Cheers-mk
I've driven it, but not on an extended drive. Look, I don't hate the i8; I actually like the technology and appreciate what BMW is trying to do. My only issue is that I think it comes in at a slightly high price point. But if you guys who have purchased them are happy, then more power to you. I just didn't appreciate the comment (not from you) that insinuated that because I thought it was a "ripoff" that I must not be able to afford it.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 12:02 AM   #24
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You could probably run that at 24v if not 36v or 48v and get it up to proportionately higher speeds. No idea how long it would last.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 07:45 AM   #25
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
I've driven it, but not on an extended drive. Look, I don't hate the i8; I actually like the technology and appreciate what BMW is trying to do. My only issue is that I think it comes in at a slightly high price point. But if you guys who have purchased them are happy, then more power to you. I just didn't appreciate the comment (not from you) that insinuated that because I thought it was a "ripoff" that I must not be able to afford it.
I understand.

I like to look at things in the larger context as I did when I purchased this car. I may be incorrect but I think that there are only 3 or 4 as with this drive configuration available on the market:

The BMW i8 with a max sticker of about $150k
The Porsche 918 which I built out for $925,000, including $2,950 for delivery.
The McLaren P1 with a price of $1,600,000.
The LaFerrari (KERS not really a direct comparison) for about $1,100,000.

All in all I think that BMW has managed to pack a pretty impressive amount of technology in a fantastic package at a reasonable cost bringing exotic power train ownership to the masses.

I don't know how old you are but I remember when serious horsepower and performance was the province of the really expensive German car. The democratization of Horsepower took place in the mid eighties and BMW is doing the same thing for exotic car ownership.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0