BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Stock suspension: F20 vs E87

08-25-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
sergestusx
Rep
Drives: 116i

Question Stock suspension: F20 vs E87

Hi all!

I have an F20 (non facelift 116i) with stock suspension and 16" wheels (non runflat - 205/55 R16) and I've been wondering about how the car behaves. It is too soft (everyone knows by now, for sure), but the E87 with stock suspension had waaaaaaay better behaviour. It felt a lot more responsive handling-wise.

Has anyone changed things to make it handle more like the stock E87? Initial thoughts are Bilstein B6's and/or antiroll bars, but it's a wild guess. Maybe 17" rims? Everything?

ĄThanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:32 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I agree that the E87 was significantly stiffer set up, but I think the F20 handles just as well, or even better. You are right that it feels more sluggish, but I don't think it is. The steering feel is a bit vague during normal driving, but provides plenty of feedback on the limit. When driving against E87 on tracks, the turn-in and cornering grip is actually pretty good on the F20, making it easy to keep up with the older sibling.

The tyre type has a lot of influence on steering response. I think you would prefer low profile 18" tyres.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2016, 02:53 AM   #3
sergestusx
Rep

Thanks for responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I agree that the E87 was significantly stiffer set up, but I think the F20 handles just as well, or even better. You are right that it feels more sluggish, but I don't think it is. The steering feel is a bit vague during normal driving, but provides plenty of feedback on the limit. When driving against E87 on tracks, the turn-in and cornering grip is actually pretty good on the F20, making it easy to keep up with the older sibling.

The tyre type has a lot of influence on steering response. I think you would prefer low profile 18" tyres.
I was eager to try a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's (I'm using a set of Crossclimate's right now), but they aren't available for my rim size. For now, at least. That made me want to consider changing them to 17". Not sure if 18" would be a little too much. It might be a first step.

Last edited by sergestusx; 08-25-2016 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: Added detail.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The question is about stock suspension while you appear to stick to M-Sport.

AFAIK (reportedly, no experience) F20's M-Sport suspension feels quite close to E87's stock (there was an M-Sport option too, thus quite "Mmer" than what we have, presumably) and F20 stock suspension is really too soft for handling seekers. And, of course, electric power steering versus hydraulic - no contest. And different generations of runflat tyres (if applicable).
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

AFAIK (reportedly, no experience) F20's M-Sport suspension feels quite close to E87's stock (there was an M-Sport option too, thus quite "Mmer" than what we have, presumably) and F20 stock suspension is really too soft for handling seekers. And, of course, electric power steering versus hydraulic - no contest. And different generations of runflat tyres (if applicable).
I have also driven non M sport F20s. The F20 M Sport is definitely better, but I think the E87 M Sport is a bit too stiff for everyday use. It seems like the E87 needs to be stiffer than the F20 to handle well.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
sergestusx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

That's why I seek mine to be less... "bouncy". Don't know if B4's or B6's would be enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergestusx View Post
That's why I seek mine to be less... "bouncy". Don't know if B4's or B6's would be enough.
B4 is supposed to be quite similar to stock, but B6 would surely feel stiffer.
Maybe the stock M Sport suspension is worth considering as well?
Appreciate 0