BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Announces iX Names for Electric SUV Models. Electric iX3 to be First.

12-05-2017, 02:59 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Announces iX Names for Electric SUV Models. Electric iX3 to be First.

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Announces iX Names for Electric SUV Models. Electric iX3 to be First.
COMMENTS

Via Autonews

MUNICH – BMW may expand its electric range by adding smaller and high-end cars and SUVs as it seeks to benefit from the industry shift toward battery-powered cars.

The automaker has secured naming rights for the badges i1 to i9 and iX1 to iX9, CEO Harald Krueger told reporters at a press event here.

BMW currently sells two i-badged cars – the full-electric i3 city hatchback and the i8 plug-in hybrid sports car. It plans at least two new electric cars, one likely to be called the i5 and another that may be named the i9. BMW uses the X designation for its SUVs and crossovers so electric SUVs would use the iX label.

The brand’s next EV will be a variant of the X3 called the iX3. "In 2020 we will launch the fully electric X3. In it, X and i come together," Krueger said.

Krueger didn’t expand on other EV variants but the brand’s electric flagship is expected to be called the i9. BMW said in May that it will begin production of the i brand’s flagship electric car, code-named the iNext, at its factory in Dingolfing, Germany, in 2021.

The i9 could get a crossover version called the iX9.

BMW’s upcoming 8-series coupe, due to go on sale next year and also built in Dingolfing, could get an electric version called the i8 and a crossover version called the iX8. Krueger did not mention EV versions of the 8 series but he confirmed the 8 series will have a high-performance variant called the M8.

The naming rights suggest BMW may also be planning X8 and X9 models at the top of its expanding SUV lineup. The X9 could serve markets such as the U.S., China, Russia and the Middle East which are showing appetite for models even larger than BMW’s upcoming X7, which is over 5000mm long.

As part of its SUV offensive, BMW launch two new SUVs next year – X2 and the three-row X7 – expanding its lineup comprising the X1, X3, X4, X5 and X6 to seven models.

Krueger said about a third of BMW sales are X-badged models. “Our model offensive is also an X-offensive. That is why I call 2018 the year of the “X.”

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
jmh600cbr265.00
      12-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Really looking forward to the iX3. But it needs a tow hitch before I place my order, and preferably 4wd too.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

This should be interesting. Mainly because BMW i implies weight savings as a key component of a car. And no one has attempted serious weight savings on an SUV yet.

Is it possible we might see actual innovation from BMW again?
      12-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

not to be confused at all with the cx3, cx5, cx7, or cx9 because you know.. i and c are different letters.
      12-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #5
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
How about announcing a fix for the current i3 recall forcing a stop sale.

Let's get that fixed first...
Appreciate 2
mfstrby99.50
ZEEM3R144.00
      12-05-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
This should be interesting. Mainly because BMW i implies weight savings as a key component of a car. And no one has attempted serious weight savings on an SUV yet.

Is it possible we might see actual innovation from BMW again?
If this recent article from Automobile is correct, future i-brand BMW vehicles (except perhaps the next generation i8, and possibly the iNext) will be built on CLAR (and something they call FAAR, which is presumably the next generation UKL) rather than the dedicated carbon core like the i3 employs:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1437646

And seeing as how they seem to have been dead on with the naming prediction, I think they are probably well inside the ballpark with their other information tool.

CLAR has potential for CFRP in the unibody, but I suspect that will remain limited to higher end vehicles for the G generation (or longer). Even the X7, the flagship BMW SUV, may not make use of it (at least as extensively) as the 7 Series did and upcoming 8 Series probably will. Furthermore, even if they do begin to use more carbon fiber in lower end models, for an electric vehicle, that will mainly serve to help offset some of the weight gain a BEV typically exhibits as compared to its ICE counterpart.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post
Really looking forward to the iX3. But it needs a tow hitch before I place my order, and preferably 4wd too.
All current G01 variants have a tow hitch as an available option. Don't see a reason why an iX3 wouldn't offer the same.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      12-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Red e61 & red F26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post
All current G01 variants have a tow hitch as an available option. Don't see a reason why an iX3 wouldn't offer the same.
Even BMWs hybrid cars (like the 330e and 530e) can't be delivered with a tow hitch from factory in Europe like their non-hybrid siblings.

You can't just retrofit from a non-hybrid car either, as it's not legal.

Very few electric cars have a tow hitch, even in Europe where every car has a tow hitch.

Tesla Model X is one of very few exceptions.

• A small roadtrip through Scandinavia: movie - pictures
• A small roadtrip in the norwegian fjords: movie
• A small trip to Nürburgring: movie - pictures
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bear in mind that the iX3 may be 2WD only, though admittedly there is nothing to corroborate Automobile Magazine's claim to that effect yet as far as I know.

Have the 2WD variants of the X3 launched in Europe or elsewhere? I know that there is an sDrive30i on the map for the US, but not until next year according to current info. I wasn't sure if a 20i, 20d, or whatever other lower end models are available elsewhere were already offered in sDrive configuration. If so and if those offer decent towing (I imagine a diesel would, even a low powered one) then perhaps that would be a good indication of what to expect for the iX3. Though it would not guarantee anything because, when it comes to EV, range concerns could be incompatible from a marketing perspective with towing.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
iX3 may be 2WD only, though admittedly there is nothing to corroborate Automobile Magazine's claim to that effect yet as far as I know.

Have the 2WD variants of the X3 launched in Europe or elsewhere? I know that there is an sDrive30i on the map for the US, but not until next year according to current info. I wasn't sure if a 20i, 20d, or whatever other lower end models are available elsewhere were already offered in sDrive configuration. If so and if those offer decent towing (I imagine a diesel would, even a low powered one) then perhaps that would be a good indication of what to expect for the iX3. Though it would not guarantee anything because, when it comes to EV, range concerns could be incompatible from a marketing perspective with towing.
Almost every non-electric BMW can be delivered with a factory tow hitch in Europe, included the base 1-series.

Power is not the issue, but heat could be maybe.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awt View Post
Almost every non-electric BMW can be delivered with a factory tow hitch in Europe, included the base 1-series.
So even the X3 F25 sDrive20i (or for that matter, the AWD 20i model)? I can't imagine that would be able to tow much.

Quote:
Torque is more important than power for towing anyway, and electric vehicles have that in spades. However, given what the poster above said about current BMW PHEVs not being rated for towing, it would seem that towing with the iX3 is unlikely to be supported either.
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      12-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Bear in mind that the iX3 may be 2WD only, though admittedly there is nothing to corroborate Automobile Magazine's claim to that effect yet as far as I know.

Good point. iX3 being only 2WD is something I did not consider. I have not heard of any G01 variants with sDrive being released as of yet but could be coming to the US as a 20i sDrive. The 20i xDrive should be here in the spring. I was under the impression that there would be an X3 30d coming to the US and a 20d for other markets...maybe even a M40d(?).

Range would obviously be an issue in an all EV vehicle that would need to tow at least 4k pounds to be of any use. It would be a huge hit if they could produce a iX3 that could tow 4k pounds for any reasonable distance but now see how this would be highly unlikely due to range. I would assume it would have to be an sDrive and the weight savings massive.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by awt View Post

Realoem shows an available hitch for the Countryman SE

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=71_0970

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...563&series=F60
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #14
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

This is intresting stuff. The i SUV should be a AWD, the TH thingy, i'm not so sure. As i am aware, neither the i-pace or the MB EV SUV or Audi upcoming EV SUV have trailer hitch. Tesla is the only EV with this feature, it affects both range and heat i think.

Besides, i do not think future i cars will be as expensive and hardcore as the i3, hardly another Carbon coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #15
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Quote:
So even the X3 F25 sDrive20i (or for that matter, the AWD 20i model)? I can't imagine that would be able to tow much.
Yes, nearly all BMWs can tow. X3 sDrive20i can tow 2000kg (4400lbs) and X3 xDrive20i can tow 2400kg (5300lbs).

Even the base 1-series with 1.5l engine is delivered with a hitch in Europe.

Remember that it's not that usual with trucks in Europe, so even a tow weight of 2500lbs would be quite helpful for most people. It's not that common to tow more than that, unless you have a caravan or a big boat.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #16
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:

Good point. iX3 being only 2WD is something I did not consider. I have not heard of any G01 variants with sDrive being released as of yet but could be coming to the US as a 20i sDrive. The 20i xDrive should be here in the spring. I was under the impression that there would be an X3 30d coming to the US and a 20d for other markets...maybe even a M40d(?).

Range would obviously be an issue in an all EV vehicle that would need to tow at least 4k pounds to be of any use. It would be a huge hit if they could produce a iX3 that could tow 4k pounds for any reasonable distance but now see how this would be highly unlikely due to range. I would assume it would have to be an sDrive and the weight savings massive.
Won't happen in all EV form. Batteries are the limiting factor.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

I'm not sure which is more complex, Brexit negotiations or resolving BMWs naming structure
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #18
W412WCK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
This is intresting stuff. The i SUV should be a AWD, the TH thingy, i'm not so sure. As i am aware, neither the i-pace or the MB EV SUV or Audi upcoming EV SUV have trailer hitch. Tesla is the only EV with this feature, it affects both range and heat i think.

Besides, i do not think future i cars will be as expensive and hardcore as the i3, hardly another Carbon coupe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post

Bmw making 2wd 4x4's is shocking. The X5 sdrive25d was an abomination.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #19
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

So the iBrand is morphing into the BMW brand.

X3e would have been fine with me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #20
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Torque is more important than power for towing anyway, and electric vehicles have that in spades. However, given what the poster above said about current BMW PHEVs not being rated for towing, it would seem that towing with the iX3 is unlikely to be supported either.
They should support it, the vehicle needs to tow the gas generator that is needed to charge that battery...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #21
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
That's it in a nutshell, yeah.

They had to switch course. They conceived the i brand with dedicated platforms servicing relatively niche segments. But now that EVs have become "real" in a relatively short time (thank Tesla for the disruption in the market), you need to cover a lot more market surface area - ultimately, all of the segments your gasoline models cover, really - by sometime next decade. It's no longer a hobby (as Steve Jobs might have said) - it needs to be profitable quickly. That means they need to use more commodity platforms which can support high volumes at reasonable costs. The way to do that is to use evolutions of CLAR and UKL, and to derive the electric models from the existing series models already in development.

Quote:
Well, they had already used the "e" suffix for PHEVs, so I understand the desire for something to set the pure BEV apart.

Looking into the future a bit, the problem I see is that they sort of paint themselves into a corner with this naming convention because once there are two or more electric trim levels they need something different again. Perhaps at that point they'll go back to tacking a number on the end again - "iX3 20, iX3 30, iX3 40". And then maybe a few decades further out when the gasoline variants are gone, they can move the "i" back to the end again, and we'll have come full circle.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #22
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
That's it in a nutshell, yeah.

They had to switch course. They conceived the i brand with dedicated platforms servicing relatively niche segments. But now that EVs have become "real" in a relatively short time (thank Tesla for the disruption in the market), you need to cover a lot more market surface area - ultimately, all of the segments your gasoline models cover, really - by sometime next decade. It's no longer a hobby (as Steve Jobs might have said) - it needs to be profitable quickly. That means they need to use more commodity platforms which can support high volumes at reasonable costs. The way to do that is to use evolutions of CLAR and UKL, and to derive the electric models from the existing series models already in development.

Quote:
Well, they had already used the "e" suffix for PHEVs, so I understand the desire for something to set the pure BEV apart.

Looking into the future a bit, the problem I see is that they sort of paint themselves into a corner with this naming convention because once there are two or more electric trim levels they need something different again. Perhaps at that point they'll go back to tacking a number on the end again - "iX3 20, iX3 30, iX3 40". And then maybe a few decades further out when the gasoline variants are gone, they can move the "i" back to the end again, and we'll have come full circle.

About as confusing as Born Electric, when only 1 out of 3 are actually a BEV.
Appreciate 0