BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 thoughts - had it a month now

12-30-2011, 04:40 AM   #1
Occean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 series

F20 thoughts - had it a month now

Well I have had my F20 for a month now, so I thought it was about time I posted my thoughts.

Why did I choose the 1 series? Well, it is a company car so had a limited, but good options – my shortlist from the list my were:

3 Series 320 ED
1 Series F20 any current spec
Merc C220 CDI
Audi A3 170hp Sportback Black

We live in Central London and we generally only have one car between myself and the wife, usually a 2 seater sports – Mx5, S2000 etc and I often get a more sensible car though work on long term hire when needed, so I have spent a lot of time with 320ED and A3’s. We basically got sick of the hassle of owning a car in the city so decided to put my car allowance to good use and go hassle free with a company car, giving up a convertible was hard….so we really wanted to retain the sporty feel in cars we were used to, but also sensible enough to use for weekends away etc. So why the four cars above and why did we choose the 1 Series?

3 Series ED – cheap, with the low emissions together with a good *price* it was the most sensible option financially. But neither of us really had love for it, we had one for about a month, she hated driving it and compared to our own car it really felt like Dad’s car!
Merc C220 – I actually liked this more than the 320 even though it was softer, the standard options seemed to be better – I probably would have gone for this if we weren’t so central as she wanted something smaller really. Oh and the panoramic sunroof was lovely, massive plus point going from a drop top.
A3 – I had spent a lot of time in smaller engined A3’s – yeah they are ok. I hadn’t tried a ‘fast’ one and the sportback has a double sunroof option. Tbh I had basically sold this car to myself, the options list was great, decent stereo (Very important!). The I got an S-line on demo for a week – AWFUL!! All that torque and FWD just made me feel like I was being dragged around everywhere, maybe we’d get used to it but we have never owned a FWD car before. Hated driving it.

So that left the not yet released 1 Series. After managing to sell the A3 to myself before driving it, I had to wait to see it in the flesh. So on release day I walked into the MK dealership and sitting in front of me was a Red Sport with sun protection kit and aluminium trim. Visually sold. They had an 118d ES for test – so I took it out for a spin, wasn’t as quick as I was hoping but everything else was perfect (I later found out it was in Eco Pro mode) – sold.

So I got to work Monday and ordered a 120d Sport in Red with the following options

18”s – Just because!
Sunroof – we like natural light
Sun protection kit – so I feel better leaving my bike in the boot and it looks good
M-Sport suspension – personally like a good hard setup, found the 320ED and CD220 so soft compared to sportier cars, and a nice 10mm drop
Folding mirrors – she wanted them – city street parking – but I have to say I love the dimming rear view!
HK hifi – we sit in traffic too much – makes the world a better place.
DAB – I like BBC 1xtra!
Ali trim – cos the car in the shop had it and I liked it!

So how have I found it? Basically it nearly perfect for what we want! The 120d is quick, no doubt, but somehow the mpg is amazing too – a week driving purely in the city – 47mpg from a whole tank. She drove it for about 250 miles on motorways 58mpg average – its really economical (ok it’s the first diesel we’ve owned!). The torque is amazing, though I sometimes feel it is a high geared, I guess that is what gets us the good mpg, in 6th at 60mph you do need to drop down to get a FAST overtake. It looks awesome. Oh and I am so impressed by the Hifi – I have always had after market setups and this sounds better than any I have owned, actually other than some silly hi-end OEM stuff (Bentley/Naim!) it is the best in-car I have heard, and for factory the bass is bloody good! Have a listen to Emika’s new album! The driving modes are actually decent too – I only use Eco Pro (well it makes sense!) and Sport (is Sport+ the same a Sport with ADC off? – seems a pointless extra if so) – the difference between the two is quite shocking – Eco pro is just perfect for cursing around town, response is smooth and the whole thing is easy, while sport is a whole new character – aggressive, fast throttle response really does make it a totally different car. The boot has tons of room (well compared to the MX5!) but for me its way better than the 320 too – since you can drop the seats and pile the crap in, its great. For me hatch beats saloon every day.

What am I not happy about? Well, I have to say I do not like the idrive (screen), I don't have satnav so I don't need a screen – simples. I just find it superfluous. Yes it is nice for track selection but I have used simpler systems that are just effective without the need for a big screen – I seem to be turning it off all the time. I find it annoying that it does not take a digital feed from an iphone – you need to use the 3.5mm jack (guess BMW don't want to pay the licence), this means (for me at least) USB stick sounds better than the iphone as a digital feed and the onboard dac is used for conversion. Also the headlights seem to be dimmer than I would expect – I may ask Park lane BMW to take a look as I personally don't think the ‘throw’ is far enough– but I do drive in town mostly where it is not an issue, if I were a country boy and Xenons solved the problem then they would be a must – still slightly annoying though. If I had realised the amount of adjustment on the seats I would have probably gone for the electric option as it is so annoying after she drives to reset the flipping thing up! And I haven’t figured out if I can tell it which driving mode to start in – would make sense to start in Eco Pro rather than Comfort. I would have liked the *connected* options – facebook, remote locking, internet etc – but it would have been a very expensive choice (Satnav required and not needed). Very occasionally when you change into gear just as the engine turns itself off (stop/start) - you end up in gear with an off engine - in and out of gear or a shale of the steering wheels solves it.

It sounds like I have a lot of issues – but I don't – all are REALLY minor. I love this car so far and she is more than happy too.

I will get some pictures up soon….

Last edited by Occean; 12-30-2011 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f45 218i SE active tourer auto

Great write up, do you find the M sport suspension ok with run flats as I have ordered it for my F20, 118d sport Auto [Red], due March 1st [ going down from a E90 320d auto]
I believe the new 8sp auto is a great improvement
thanks
Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Occean
Private First Class
Rep

I probably the wrong person to ask about the suspension, I personally find the standard suspension in the 320d way too soft for my liking, I really like the feedback of stiff suspension, and for me it's perfect on mine (very similair to the stiffness of an s2000, but not as stiff as the aftermarket kw's on my old golf rallye)

I have tried the 8 speed auto, it is amazing. Again, I guess like the suspension I like to feel like I am doing something hence I auto was not an option for me, I guess I am not after an easy drive! I reckon the auto is quicker on day to day driving too.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 04:39 AM   #4
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series F20 118D Sport

Great Review, sums up a lot of the research I did too, can't wait till Feb for mine to arrive and yes the wife had a big say on my purchase incase she needs to drive it......

I had a Golf GTD (MK6) in the mix as well, the build quality for the interior is just poor in my opinion for what your paying and it was about £2000 more than the 1er for the same spec. I have been a die hard VW fan but recently the service and the cars have gone downhill, so much so when I last bought my MK5 I actually went into buy a MK6....sales staff have lost confidence too.

Thanks again.....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series F20 118D Sport

Certainly did, to clarify that's a MK6 GTD vs a 1er 120D as they would have the same BHP + torque, plus the Golf doesn't give as good as the new 1er - it seems to win hands down
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Occean
Private First Class
Rep

Thought I had beeter add some pics

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
ts61gogo
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: Does not exist yet

Thanks for the great review!

This car does look beautiful, I can't understand people hating it
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

great writeup and wow it looks great on the pics, you sure did tick the right options in the configuration the crimsonred with the high-gloss black sportline trim, tinted windows etc goes very nice together. congrats

18" inch and m-sport suspension making the car a little lower does a little extra for the looks, I would have gone for that too if I didnt come from a history of previous cars with 18" and after-market super stiff/low suspension that really sat on the ground. Went for a bit more comfort this time for a change and settled with 17" and no m-sport-suspension, guess i'm getting old

these pics should be in the crimson-red-pics-thread!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
patrice03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z23 318d f30

congrats. i read you are happy with your HK.. i wonder if mine has not a problem.. I find it suboptimal, with lack of clarity,no space/ surround and almost no sound from the rear, somewhat better through Y iPod but still lacks genuine HIFI feeling...How does your system perform??
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
pargueiro
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116D

Makes good KMs!
I've never seen in red, but I liked the pictures!

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #11
Occean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice03 View Post
congrats. i read you are happy with your HK.. i wonder if mine has not a problem.. I find it suboptimal, with lack of clarity,no space/ surround and almost no sound from the rear, somewhat better through Y iPod but still lacks genuine HIFI feeling...How does your system perform??
Patrice03 - well I am sorry you are finding the HK quality suboptimal – personally I am finding it superb. I am mainly playing MP3 @ 320kps via USB as I find this better than ipod. I do find FM and DAB of a lower quality than MP3 on USB – but this is quite normal on most systems. I agree with you regarding the sound form the rear, though I am a firm believer in Stereo (like music is recorded) rather than surround and I feel this is what the HK system is also trying to achieve, I find the system is well balanced from both the driver and passenger seats the centre is clearly well setup as the stereo imaging is very good from both. I am finding the sound very smooth and punchy with no harsh treble (silabance)that is often associated with cheaper systems. Bass is possibly a touch too heavy in the mid bass region – but to be honest that’s not always a bad thing imho and it certainly goes quite low though not extending down to 20hz. I will admit it is not in the same league as my home HiFi – but the price tag is vastly different…and the environment in a car is never ideal. As I mentioned in my original post I personally think this is one of the best OEM car stereos I have heard in terms of quality/clarity and rivals many aftermarket systems – especially when you take price into considerations.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
patrice03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z23 318d f30

thanks for your detailed feedback.!. i believe there is a problem with my system, i even notice differences in max volume on same track..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Eduardo21
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d SE

Well done to Ocean for a very informative/useful post. I have a company 118dSE and have a couple of gripes that people should be aware of!

Firstly the seating position is quite severely offset, this takes a bit of getting used to, i'm getting a very cramped left leg (6ft)

Also the info display below the dials is all but invisible unless you have the steering wheel at it's lowest setting which would be impractical for most...I like to see the outside temp during driving which I can't...amazing how a small thing becomes a big irritation!

...oh and the headlamp throw/range is pretty poor.

Average MPG over 3k is 46.9...not bad but forget any hope of manufacturers figures!

And if anyone's deliberating over colour I have Black Sapphire...very sparkly...looks great at night under lights.

Hope this helps some people a bit!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

Have to agree with you about the information under the dials the bits I find hardest to see are the mileage amount and the trip counter. Haven't really noticed the off set driving position but my previous x1 was awful for it so maybe this one just isn't as bad.

I went with xenons on my one but do find the are set to throw to the ground.

Overall though with just under 1k Km's put on the car it is streets ahead of the x1 from an interior comfort point of view and it also a lot less noisy both inside and outside the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmcred
Have to agree with you about the information under the dials the bits I find hardest to see are the mileage amount and the trip counter. Haven't really noticed the off set driving position but my previous x1 was awful for it so maybe this one just isn't as bad.

I went with xenons on my one but do find the are set to throw to the ground.

Overall though with just under 1k Km's put on the car it is streets ahead of the x1 from an interior comfort point of view and it also a lot less noisy both inside and outside the car.
Same here, no matter what position i sit in or move the steering wheel I am
Not able to see the full speedometer display.

A few other small points I have noticed is that there does not seem to be a pause button for the music, although the mute button pauses and mutes. I would prefer this to be seperate :-/

Also the windscreen washer always washes the headlights, when the lights are on. I would have liked this o be seperate also as I am finding the washer fluid seems to run out quickly. Although as of yet I have never opened the bonnet to check. Its the control display that is warning me atm.

Just few points, that are observations, not to take anything away from how much i like the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #16
CJP_chrisp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i F30 auto, X3 Xdrive35i

Seats

Hi I bought a 1 series to save on fuel, leaving the ML at home. I own a 118i with Urban line. I was just wondering if you also find the seat uncomfortable or am I too big at 103Kgs for a 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #17
saf786
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 120d Sport

Very informative post, thanks !

I have just ordered a 120d Sport in Mineral White (no Optional Extras) should be with me before end of March cant wait ..

Just wondering how does the 120d sport perform on the motorway is it a smooth refined ride or the opposite just will be using the car on the motorway a lot.

@CJP I test drove the sport and found the Sport Seats comfortable and supportive but what i have herd from the other forums is the standard seats are very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #18
Minnsy
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf786 View Post
Very informative post, thanks !

I have just ordered a 120d Sport in Mineral White (no Optional Extras) should be with me before end of March cant wait ..

Just wondering how does the 120d sport perform on the motorway is it a smooth refined ride or the opposite just will be using the car on the motorway a lot.

@CJP I test drove the sport and found the Sport Seats comfortable and supportive but what i have herd from the other forums is the standard seats are very comfortable.

I hope you enjoy your car when it arrives, I love mine albeit only the 116d. I would strongly recommend however you choose the driver comfort pack with cruise control , PDC rear and servotronic steering. The latter two being less important, but i find that cruise control particularly if you do alot of motorway miles is a god send!!
Appreciate 0