BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Need help for bulbs!

11-11-2015, 03:00 AM   #1
RiczPT
Rep
Drives: F21 118d

Need help for bulbs!

Hi, I have an f21 with xenon, and I'm looking to upgrade my reverse and blinker bulbs to led. What type of bulb am I supposed to buy?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiczPT View Post
What type of bulb am I supposed to buy?
The correct one. I guess the energy-efficiency is the trap: the LEDs must comply to the specification in power consumption to be accepted by the car, but they should be much(?) brighter by comparison unless tuned appropriately (with some extra resistance?). Thus, if the assumption is correct, you can not save power. You can benefit from the supposed longevity only. Yet you might annoy everybody with blinding brightness just as well. Don't do that if it's the case!

For the bulb specification (PY21W - turn, P21W - reverse), if that was your question actually, : F20 1 Series Owner's Manual, "Mobility | Replacing parts". That's where you will find the guidance too, incidentally.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
RiczPT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
The correct one. I guess the energy-efficiency is the trap: the LEDs must comply to the specification in power consumption to be accepted by the car, but they should be much(?) brighter by comparison unless tuned appropriately (with some extra resistance?). Thus, if the assumption is correct, you can not save power. You can benefit from the supposed longevity only. Yet you might annoy everybody with blinding brightness just as well. Don't do that if it's the case!

For the bulb specification (PY21W - turn, P21W - reverse), if that was your question actually, : F20 1 Series Owner's Manual, "Mobility | Replacing parts". That's where you will find the guidance too, incidentally.
Thank you for the help! I'm doing it because of looks only! After seing a lot of new cars using them, I feel like it's something our cars should come with from factory!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
AussieSimon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

https://bimmian.com/Accessories-for-...-Signal-Bulbs/

I'm not claiming they're the best, and you can certainly find cheaper products, but I did replace my four turn signals with this product and I'm happy with it.

If anyone has any experience with LED replacements for the white reverse light, I'd be interested to hear it. I'm very keen to get the brightest possible bulb.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:19 AM   #5
RiczPT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieSimon View Post
https://bimmian.com/Accessories-for-...-Signal-Bulbs/

I'm not claiming they're the best, and you can certainly find cheaper products, but I did replace my four turn signals with this product and I'm happy with it.

If anyone has any experience with LED replacements for the white reverse light, I'd be interested to hear it. I'm very keen to get the brightest possible bulb.
They are pricey, but they are a product of great quality. Did you use resistors or coded you car? Or are they plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
LukeS1994
Canada
Rep
Drives: F20 116i MSport 2013

Hi mate,

I've bought LEDs for my F10 for the rear here just google the bulb your looking for in there shop: http://goo.gl/xMbq3J

I've now got an F20 and I'm thinking about buying the brake light LEDs from here there £20 a piece though and its the effort of removing the rear brake cluster I'm not sure its an easy job but I'm looking into it as I have the Xenons and want to convert all LED like I did with my F10 looks so swish and tidy.

Be careful if you attempt it the rear brake light edges chip and brake off easy I had one of mine replaced under warranty.

This seller is good quality bulbs with resistors built in, I ran them in my F10 5 series when I had it for the front they were fine no flickers or coding required, I even posted a video of the results : https://goo.gl/CVrisJ

I was really pleased with the indicator LEDs I got off them, they weren't cheap SMDs that look tacky, they were proper CREE projectors and I never had a problem with them once.

Please let me know if you get any and how you get on with removing the rear brake light
Appreciate 0