BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > LSD M140i

03-23-2018, 02:15 AM   #1
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

LSD M140i

Hi guys,

yesterday i've ordered the Performnace LSD for my M140i, as it (especially during hard accelerations) doesn't go straight, but it's nervous going a little right and left due to the torque that is not balanced (maybe also due to the streets not perfects....) Has anyone already mounted it? Do it feels better?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 03:24 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
Hi guys,

yesterday i've ordered the Performnace LSD for my M140i, as it (especially during hard accelerations) doesn't go straight, but it's nervous going a little right and left due to the torque that is not balanced (maybe also due to the streets not perfects....) Has anyone already mounted it? Do it feels better?
I think you have made a mistake here. With an open differential, you will always have 50/50 torque split between the driven wheels. The LSD will transfer more torque to the wheel that has best traction, causing more fishtailing, particularly on uneven roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 05:20 AM   #3
V-Eight
Captain
Rep

Thanks for your reply. I've been told that a LSD is preferible in a car like mine, as gives a better traction out of the corners in every conditions, avoiding the spinning wheel to dissipate the torque, and avoiding the wheel that doesn't spin to stop itself because of the torque loss.

Maybe I am wrong but also my dealer told me that I'll have a lot of benefits mounting it in my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
Thanks for your reply. I've been told that a LSD is preferible in a car like mine, as gives a better traction out of the corners in every conditions, avoiding the spinning wheel to dissipate the torque, and avoiding the wheel that doesn't spin to stop itself because of the torque loss.

Maybe I am wrong but also my dealer told me that I'll have a lot of benefits mounting it in my car.
You will indeed. It is a very nice upgrade that will give you significantly more traction. But in the situation you described with straight line acceleration, the car will run straighter (and slower) with an open differential.

The spinning wheel will still dissipate the torque with LSD, but the other wheel will keep the torque. That will give an unbalanced torque pair that can kick the car out in a slide. The slide is also a lot easier to control with a LSD. Drifting is almost impossible without one.

The F20 has a "fake LSD" system that kicks in with DSC Off, using the ABS brakes. It is not as smooth and efficient as a real LSD, but still better than an open differential.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 02:40 AM   #5
V-Eight
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys! I'll go to put it on the 30th at my BMW dealer!
Appreciate 0