BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Old Honda Element Review

09-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Old Honda Element Review

Here's a review I did a few years ago of the Honda Element. This is put up in response to a request in this thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15277

As transportation goes, it's hard to beat.

++++

2003 Honda Element
Who cares about the kids, here's a car a suburban grown up can love!
Price Range - $16,560 - $21,310 destination charges included
(Numerous accessories can be added at additional cost)
Engine – 2.4L inline 4
Front Engine/Front Wheel Drive - Optional All Wheel Drive
MPG (city/hwy) – 21/24
Airbags - DP front air bags, ABS standard on EX model, not available on DX
+++++++++

If you had to hazard a guess as to where the designers found inspiration for the Honda Element, you might not be far off the mark in guessing chunky shoe styles. After all Gen Y has gone gaga over shoes that older folks equate to combat boots.

Honda is counting on that styling sensibility to help the Element go over big with the new generation of car buyers. But let's share a dirty little secret, the Element isn't just for youth - it was tailor made for aging suburban baby boomers.

Even though Honda is poring its advertising dollars into promoting the Element to eXtreme sports dudes, the reality is that mulch, fertilizer and flower flats will also fit in the Element when extreme gardeners make trips to the local home improvement center. And Meals-on-Wheels extreme volunteers will like the space and all wheel drive capabilities of the Element when it comes to winter meal distribution for shut ins.

The Element has a fairly tall 'H' point, or hip point, which eases entry and exit. It has an interior which can be 'hosed' out, useful when transporting yucky stuff from the nursery (floral and children). You can indulge the grand kids in the back seats and not worry about that sno-cone dripping all over the place.

The instrument panel features large gauges with large numbers (easy on old eyes) and the shifter (automatic or manual are available) is mounted high up on the center console, making it easier to reach. The Element seats four, perfect for two couples on bingo night or a sensible double dinner date (to places where you don't have to worry about whether or not the kids will like it).

When you need to do some serious hauling the rear seats fold up and can be lashed to the sides of the rear compartment. The height of the Element provides a great deal of room for bulky items, like that old dresser the 'boss' purchased while out 'antiquing'.

The rear doors swing open from the rear allowing Honda to build an overall shorter vehicle than one with traditional doors. But even without a space consuming B-pillar, Honda has taken great steps to ensure the structural integrity of the Element. The Element utilizes some clever engineering to provide a strong vertical beam when the door frames are closed (which securely latches them to the rocker panel and roofline).

The Element uses Honda's smooth and powerful 2.4L four cylinder engine. The big four incorporates more clever Honda engineering to provide a smooth idle and plenty of power for everyday driving. This engine can be found under the hoods of Accords and CR-Vs (whose platform the Element shares).

The Element comes equipped with a five speed manual transmission or optional four speed automatic in the front wheel drive models, standard automatic on the all wheel drive models. The all wheel drive automatic tested proved to provide seamless shifts with gearing optimized for the wonderful four cylinder engine.

Either way, FWD or AWD, you'll have the comfort of knowing when the weather turns nasty the Element will be in its element (couldn't resist ; -).

While the Element is tall it exhibits no "tippiness" while underway. In fact the first thing that comes to mind after a short stint at the wheel is how sedan-like the ride is. This is a sports ute that is perfectly comfortable for those who grew up driving cars and not trucks. The Element's interior height is amazing. Wear the tallest hat you can find and the Element will swallow it with aplomb. Marge Simpson's blue bouffant fits without bending. The interior space is amazing for a vehicle less than 170 inches long.

Oh and a word about the audio system, fantastic! Boomers put loud rock and roll on the map, they can keep it there with the 270 watt , seven speaker system (including sub-woofer) that is featured on the Element's EX model.

All in all, whether Gen Y accepts the Element or not, there are plenty of their parents who might just fall in love with it. Honda has delivered another cleverly engineered solution that may just find takers in unsuspected markets.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
bimmernerd2
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Thanks. I find it interesting and somewhat ironic that you put such bias on the marketability of the Element to the baby boomer segment. Especially given the timing of the article.

Honda originally set the target buyer to be 22 year old males that have finished college and don't yet have jobs. They totally missed the mark. They did however develop a fantastically utilitarian vehicle that many older car buyers have taken a liking to.

I happen to be a 23 year old that has moved three times in two years and may be one of the few in the original demographic that's actually bought into the hype. I literally could not believe my eyes the first time I saw the inside of an Element. It was either that, or some other twenty thousand dollar econo-box. I think the choice was clear.

I'm bidding on a position as an air traffic controller. I have no idea what facility I'll be placed in. But when I do, I'll grab my dog and a U HAUL trailer and be on my way. Done deal.

Once I get a get a nice sized dent in the student loans and I'm no longer on trainee pay I'll take ED of a new 1, and drive, and drive, and drive, and drive, and drive.
Appreciate 0