BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > How to change rear brake pads?

08-31-2017, 06:47 AM   #1
Drmf20
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116 EfficientDynamics

How to change rear brake pads?

Hello everyone,

I need to replace my F20 rear brake pads.
Does anyone know how to do it? If so, please post tutorial with pictures
Model is BMW F20 116ED 2012
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hello,

It actually depends on how you discovered you needed to do that. There's a very (as I'm facing exactly the same 2200 km rear while being reasonably positive it's bullshit in fact ) useful thread: Replaced brake pads.

If it's computer involved, here you are (notice you do have to come in from certain display modes other than date):

I chose not to reset mine so far, curious what it will do when the sensor fails to confirm it's prediction and, perhaps, going to have the hardware check just in case.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Drmf20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Hello,

It actually depends on how you discovered you needed to do that. There's a very (as I'm facing exactly the same 2200 km rear while being reasonably positive it's bullshit in fact ) useful thread: Replaced brake pads.

If it's computer involved, here you are (notice you do have to come in from certain display modes other than date):

I chose not to reset mine so far, curious what it will do when the sensor fails to confirm it's prediction and, perhaps, going to have the hardware check just in case.
Thanks.
The 1200km left says on the screen. Date is 10/2017
But the thing is, what if I reset it and don't change the brake pads, how would I know if they really need to be changed?
Do all the F20 have sensor?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep

If a pad wear sensor is triggered there must be a warning you can remove by replacing the sensor only. You can't affect that by computer reset.

All F20 should have those sensors but if you wish to narrow it down to your car you can check it by the VIN or the production month here: RealOEM.com: Select Your BMW Model.

The point is the sensor does not allow to measure pad thickness, it only allows to detect a critical thickness. To find out how much you have above that you have to check it by external means: my dealer's mechanics use callipers when performing maintenance inspection. The car's computer estimation is just a guess and it should only encourage you to have your pads checked, not necessarily replaced!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
Drmf20
Rep

Quote:
If a pad wear sensor is triggered there must be a warning you can remove by replacing the sensor only. You can't affect that by computer reset.

All F20 should have those sensors but if you wish to narrow it down to your car you can check it by the VIN or the production month here: RealOEM.com: Select Your BMW Model.

The point is the sensor does not allow to measure pad thickness, it only allows to detect a critical thickness. To find out how much you have above that you have to check it by external means: my dealer's mechanics use callipers when performing maintenance inspection. The car's computer estimation is just a guess and it should only encourage you to have your pads checked, not necessarily replaced!
Well...Today it was on 1800km, yesterday was 1200km.
So it changes mileage according to driving style ?
What do you mean when you say checking the pads? Why should they be checked and not replaced? I'm sorry for so many questions but I'm not even close to a rookie mechanic
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmf20 View Post
Well...Today it was on 1800km, yesterday was 1200km.
So it changes mileage according to driving style ?
Did you drive differently in between? Let it change mileage according to whatever: that does not affect your pads wear condition - today they are worn no less than yesterday (unless you've replaced them, of course), no matter how you drive. But you can save your pads with your driving style and even mode: brake less (less intensively), use engine braking, avoid DSC intervention (I use Sport+ which is DTC if you miss M-Sport package or DSC OFF in extreme) - accelerate and steer carefully.

Quote:
What do you mean when you say checking the pads?
I mean measuring/evaluating their thickness. You have to know their minimal thickness allowed and how thick they are when new to decide how much worn they are.

Quote:
Why should they be checked and not replaced?
You can replace them whenever you like before they are worn out. But if they are pretty good, say, brand new , unnecessary replacement makes no sense other than your precious pleasure. You should check them to find out how much worn they really are (if you care) - computer estimation can be too far from reality as ovekvam discovered in the thread I suggested (you should have read it actually), unless the sensor has fired and triggered a warning - then it's a replacement, nothing to check.

Simply put: don't bother to check the pads or reset the estimation. Wait for a sensor-based replacement warning (as you've discovered the computer estimation is not going to make you replace the pads prematurely and will rather play with the mileage waiting for the sensor - I did not know that and it was the concern).

Quote:
I'm sorry for so many questions but I'm not even close to a rookie mechanic
Then you should not need these links, perhaps: let someone capable do it for you and maybe teach you meanwhile - you can end up with no valid brakes otherwise. The links regard the previous generation, but F20 should be pretty much the same I suppose.

1. A tutorial with pictures as you asked: http://www.babybmw.net/howtos/how_to..._pads_-_ii.pdf ;

2. Front brake pads replacement video:
;

3. Rear brake pads replacement video:

A disclaimer: I did not bother to read/watch them carefully myself, FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
Drmf20
Rep

This is all very usefull information. I can't thank you enough!

Yes, I changed the driving style a little bit, improving it so I would brake less and use more engine braking. I don't have Sport+ as M package is not the case. I can simply long press the button next to the driving modes button and it will turn of DSC (I think).

I think I'm not going to reset the service mileage and I'll wait for the sensor to do it's job. Then I'm buying ATE brake pads and sensor and talk to my mechanic, if the videos don't make it look an easy job.

You've helped me a lot, really. Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I can simply long press the button next to the driving modes button and it will turn of DSC (I think).
You should think twice actually: sacrificing DSC added safety can cost you much more than brakes recreation. A brief press of the button (turn on DTC) can be a valid trade off. If you don't accelerate hard (and the road isn't slippery) you can be even fine with DSC on: you can control it's intervention by the instrument panel indicator flashing - if not too often it's just fine. Otherwise even "complete" DSC OFF can eat your rear brakes to simulate differential lock (aid active turn entering) - there is such a function (in DSC OFF only). That is: less DSC - more driving involvement. "Choose wisely!"

Quote:
Then I'm buying ATE brake pads and sensor and talk to my mechanic
BMW recommends changing not-so-fresh retaining springs as well:
1' F20 116d ed Rear brake / brake pad / wear sensor (front brakes too).

Quote:
Thank you very much!
You are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #9
Drmf20
Rep

Quote:
You should think twice actually: sacrificing DSC added safety can cost you much more than brakes recreation. A brief press of the button (turn on DTC) can be a valid trade off. If you don't accelerate hard (and the road isn't slippery) you can be even fine with DSC on: you can control it's intervention by the instrument panel indicator flashing - if not too often it's just fine. Otherwise even "complete" DSC OFF can eat your rear brakes to simulate differential lock (aid active turn entering) - there is such a function (in DSC OFF only). That is: less DSC - more driving involvement. "Choose wisely!"
So one click will do the job. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by
BMW recommends changing not-so-fresh retaining springs as well:
[URL="http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1C91-EUR-07-2012-F20-BMW-116d_ed&diagId=34_1969"
1' F20 116d ed Rear brake / brake pad / wear sensor[/URL] (front brakes too).
I'll add that to the basket!
Appreciate 0