BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Thinking of buying a Nissan GTR

10-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #67
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #68
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
I'm 34 with no kids & no pets & no tractor. Everyone does not want kids.
Even better you can still afford what you want. My dad saved a lot of $$$ then he sadly died
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #69
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M.W. View Post
They're the most reliable in it's level of performance. A used 2012+ would be best as they have been updated from the 2009-2011 models to not require maintenance as often. Trans fluid is a bit expensive & tires will be roasted quickly, but that's the major costs of the cars maintenance.

If you have the replace a transmission though, good luck.

But at 23 (you're my age) I'd recommend waiting another 2 years. The used 2009 GTRs with 50k miles cost $50k, give or take, for now. Their market value is going to drop a bit soon with the R36 moving into production.

Plus, in the meantime you can save up a bit for the mods that will come
Yea, those LS motors are horrible.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #70
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
Even better you can still afford what you want. My dad saved a lot of $$$ then he sadly died
I'm sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #71
B.M.W.
Something Danger Zone
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
Yea, those LS motors are horrible.
I actually love the LS series motors. The C6 ZR1 is one of my favorite cars, and I'm actually planning an LS3 swap in a 996 that had an IMS grenade the engine.

The GTR is just a different animal. They're insanely fast & easy (compared to other cars in that level) to control. Considering the car has just been tweaked & touched since 2009 and still continues to be a benchmark for cars such as the Porsche 911 Turbo S & Lamborghini Aventador while wearing a Nissan badge is almost comical.

What ticks me off is that they've been increasing in price every year for almost no changes. I'd buy a 2009 & send it to AMS for the extra money to modify it into a bigger badder monster for the same amount of money.

But truthfully I'd be happy with a stock one. Maybe have a C6 ZR1 around as well.

But I don't have enough money to drive either of those. Hopefully when the R33's become legal in the 49 United States (sorry Cali) I'll be able to find a R32 to play with.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #72
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

The GTR is definitely in the running for my next car but I just can't shake the feeling of it just being a Nissan. It may be a little superficial but after having a C63 AMG and M3 the Nissan might not cut it. That being said, I might get it anyway and not care. Let's see in a couple of years I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #73
slowandfurious
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I'm actually planning an LS3 swap in a 996 that had an IMS grenade the engine.

would it even fit? 911 engine bay seems pretty cramped from what i can see. Not to mention a V8 is a lot taller vertically than the H6 the car comes with. I would be very interested to see if it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #74
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliikkrick View Post
haha hell yeah they're not that expensive 100k for a lambo killer sounds like a good deal
It will not "kill" a Lambo...I don't care for them, in general (Lambos), but it's going to whip it's ass. GTR is sick value for the money and a flat out beast, no doubt.

Id buy a 911 turbo or gt3 before the GTR, just my taste. GTR is very cool, though...and rare.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #75
slowandfurious
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
The GTR is definitely in the running for my next car but I just can't shake the feeling of it just being a Nissan. It may be a little superficial but after having a C63 AMG and M3 the Nissan might not cut it. That being said, I might get it anyway and not care. Let's see in a couple of years I suppose.
I read this type of comment a million times a day and it never stops being incredibly ridiculous. Do you know a GTR is actually a lot more expensive, rarer, and more exclusive than a C63 or an M3? That makes it more high end and more "special" than either of these cars. And so what if it's a Nissan? What makes a BMW or Mercedes badge any better? Sure, maybe some time in the past, BMW and Merc may have had some prestige, being only affordable by successful upper middle class professionals. But nowadays look at all the cheap entry level 3 series, c class, fwd minivans, etc. with cheap lease rates. BMWs and Mercs are pretty much a dime a dozen. Anyone with a pulse and who makes more than minimum wage can get one, at least on a lease. I see as many, if not more, C class or 3 series as I see Camrys or Accords. Stealerships are practically giving them away.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #76
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandfurious View Post
I read this type of comment a million times a day and it never stops being incredibly ridiculous. Do you know a GTR is actually a lot more expensive, rarer, and more exclusive than a C63 or an M3? That makes it more high end and more "special" than either of these cars. And so what if it's a Nissan? What makes a BMW or Mercedes badge any better? Sure, maybe some time in the past, BMW and Merc may have had some prestige, being only affordable by successful upper middle class professionals. But nowadays look at all the cheap entry level 3 series, c class, fwd minivans, etc. with cheap lease rates. BMWs and Mercs are pretty much a dime a dozen. Anyone with a pulse and who makes more than minimum wage can get one, at least on a lease. I see as many, if not more, C class or 3 series as I see Camrys or Accords. Stealerships are practically giving them away.
Well put. I live in FL (albeit North FL) where there are an abundance of nice cars. I have seen MAYBE...5 going to back release in 08. A certain "neck breaker"...a damn fast car.

OP, buy it and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #77
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't completely disagree with what you're trying to say but I can't agree with BMW or Mercedes having the same 'prestige' as Nissan or Toyota even if it's a shitty little C class or 3 series. The brand name is still called a luxury car and it's for a reason. The image made by the German luxury vehicles is always going to be there regardless of how many models they make to cater to the masses. I know the GTR costs more than the C63 or M3 for that matter but for someone who doesn't know cars it'll be just a Nissan at the end of the day. Where as, even a lower BMW, Mercedes or Audi will carry that prestige or luxury factor. For someone who's not knowledgeable in cars, you will have a tough time explaining why a Nissan costs $100K while that can be easily done with one of the luxury brands.

It is just the perception and the reputation these brands have built regardless of how many there are out there. With all that said, if I ever have the opportunity to get a GTR I will probably get it. In fact I almost pulled the trigger on one before I ended up with the M3 after my C63, but it didn't work out. The reason being I consider myself an enthusiast and I know what the car is capable of. But I can't the same for an average consumer who doesn't know much about cars other their brand names.

Last edited by ksa; 10-08-2015 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #78
slowandfurious
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
I don't completely disagree with what you're trying to say but I can't agree with BMW or Mercedes having the same 'prestige' as Nissan or Toyota even if it's a shitty little C class or 3 series. The brand name is still called a luxury car and it's for a reason. The image made by the German luxury vehicles is always going to be there regardless of how many models they make to cater to the masses. I know the GTR costs more than the C63 or M3 for that matter but for someone who doesn't know cars it'll be just a Nissan at the end of the day. Where as, even a lower BMW, Mercedes or Audi will carry that prestige or luxury factor. For someone who's not knowledgeable in cars, you will have a tough time explaining why a Nissan costs $100K while that can be easily done with one of the luxury brands.

It is just the perception and the reputation these brands have built regardless of how many there are out there. With all that said, if I ever have the opportunity to get a GTR I will probably get it. In fact I almost pulled the trigger on one before I ended up with the M3 after my C63, but it didn't work out. The reason being I consider myself an enthusiast and I know what the car is capable of. But I can't the same for an average consumer who doesn't know much about cars other their brand names.
Why do you even feel the need to justify your car choices to other people, especially those who dont know about cars. It's just a silly reason that if you want a GTR and like a GTR yet you will deny yourself the experience of having a GTR because you are worried about the reaction of some ignorant idiots when you tell them you bought a $100k Nissan. Besides, I can make the same argument about your M3 as well. I can ask why did you spend $80k on a glorified 3 series that most people can't differentiate from a dime a dozen 328i?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #79
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Why do you even feel the need to justify your car choices to other people, especially those who dont know about cars. It's just a silly reason that if you want a GTR and like a GTR yet you will deny yourself the experience of having a GTR because you are worried about the reaction of some ignorant idiots when you tell them you bought a $100k Nissan. Besides, I can make the same argument about your M3 as well. I can ask why did you spend $80k on a glorified 3 series that most people can't differentiate from a dime a dozen 328i?
Agree with you on that as I stated earlier and honestly a GTR is quite high on my list down the line! If I don't get it, it won't be because I care that it's a Nissan for sure. My first car was a 350Z and I loved it to bits lol. You're right, no need to care about what other people may think.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #80
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Well put.

I know like, 3 "car" people...no one gives 2 shits about my car. Even if it was sweet looking..like a GTR, M3 or e63....which "look" cool to me: fender flares, big wheels...just cool, hardly anyone cares. Except for US, car people. That is why we're on these boards.

Funny thing is..take a non-car person for a ride in your GTR...that's a game changer for them.

Buy the GTR and enjoy! Let us know how it works out.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #81
spiceyxi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335 View Post
Well put.

I know like, 3 "car" people...no one gives 2 shits about my car. Even if it was sweet looking..like a GTR, M3 or e63....which "look" cool to me: fender flares, big wheels...just cool, hardly anyone cares. Except for US, car people. That is why we're on these boards.

Funny thing is..take a non-car person for a ride in your GTR...that's a game changer for them.

Buy the GTR and enjoy! Let us know how it works out.
I think the fact it is "just" a Nissan could be a good thing. When I bought my Z4 Coupe (in 2015) people at work kept commenting on the "new" sporty car. Maybe "just" a Nissan could go under the radar (and get me a raise!).

Last edited by spiceyxi; 10-08-2015 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #82
B.M.W.
Something Danger Zone
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E46 M3

Quote:
would it even fit? 911 engine bay seems pretty cramped from what i can see. Not to mention a V8 is a lot taller vertically than the H6 the car comes with. I would be very interested to see if it can be done.
It's been done a few times. Check LS1tech's Hybrid/Conversions for a few Boxter & 996 swaps.

Pushrod engines aren't very much bigger than the H6, and weigh nearly the same. Vertical space won't be an issue & with an adaptor kit I can use the 996 transmission. This will even allow me to run a mechanical water pump+power steering so the car will actually be more reliable & cheaper to maintain (sorta) while having an AWD LS3 pushing about 440whp (transmission limited).

I think there's also a company that makes a swap kit for these cars, but it's got an odd name.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #83
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I actually love the LS series motors. The C6 ZR1 is one of my favorite cars, and I'm actually planning an LS3 swap in a 996 that had an IMS grenade the engine.

The GTR is just a different animal. They're insanely fast & easy (compared to other cars in that level) to control. Considering the car has just been tweaked & touched since 2009 and still continues to be a benchmark for cars such as the Porsche 911 Turbo S & Lamborghini Aventador while wearing a Nissan badge is almost comical.

What ticks me off is that they've been increasing in price every year for almost no changes. I'd buy a 2009 & send it to AMS for the extra money to modify it into a bigger badder monster for the same amount of money.

But truthfully I'd be happy with a stock one. Maybe have a C6 ZR1 around as well.

But I don't have enough money to drive either of those. Hopefully when the R33's become legal in the 49 United States (sorry Cali) I'll be able to find a R32 to play with.
Fun cars for a bit, sure. I would imagine the novelty of the GT-R would wear off soon. At least I think it would for me after having driven them. It was just not exciting. The car was doing all the work & I didn't get to enjoy it. You're cut off from a true driving experience IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #84
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87
I'm 27, id still drool. Car enthusiasts tend to drool over them. General public, not so much.
I'm 36. I'd still drool!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #85
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
They are awesome cars, very tunable, 650hp with a remap, injectors, air filter and exhaust.

They do have some quirks with the gearbox noises being situated just behind the driver, once warm they like to chuckle alittle Grip and traction is simply brilliant. Runflats are horrible in the wet, dunlops are good on the track, but a decent set of toyo R888s or Cup2s make all the difference.

Quite a wide/large car, dimensions can take awhile getting use to, rear camera is a useful option, and one of the biggest gripes is the very poor bluetooth telephone mic.. what was Nissan thinking, satnav is relatively quite good. Bose setup is nicer on the newer model cars, DBA cars are better with DRLs and smoother suspension.

Power delivery is just brutal.. acceleration is epic.
Forgive me, what is DBA? I am in the market for a used GTR, preferably 14' or 15' but still researching the car and if its right for me or not. It would be my weekend car mostly, as thats what my e92 is right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #86
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
Forgive me, what is DBA? I am in the market for a used GTR, preferably 14' or 15' but still researching the car and if its right for me or not. It would be my weekend car mostly, as thats what my e92 is right now.
CBA were the early cars, DBA are the facelift and beyond cars.. info here
Looks like your after a DBA car..