BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Next-gen BMW 4-Series (G23) expected to have soft top

08-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Next-gen BMW 4-Series (G23) expected to have soft top

Due: 2021

Preliminary details are starting to emerge about the next generation BMW 4-Series Convertible (G23).

Less than two years have passed since the open-top 4-Series came out and already we are hearing details about its successor which will likely be launched in 2021. It seems BMW has already decided to eschew the current model's hard top in favor of a fabric roof, most likely as a move to shave off some serious weight and offer a more spacious trunk since metal roofs occupy a lot of room. There's still a very long way to until the next-gen's arrival and until then the current 4-Series Convertible will receive a mid-cycle refresh which should be out around 2017.
In related news, the same report mentions BMW's upcoming sports car co-developed with Toyota will also employ a fabric roof, but we still don't know yet when the model will be actually introduced to the market. This is the general trend nowadays in the convertible segment as most automakers have decided to use lightweight fabric roofs rather than heavy hard tops which have more complex mechanisms and take up extra space in the trunk.
Source:

http://www.bimmertoday.de/2015/08/06...klappdach-2021
Attached Images

Last edited by ORIGIN M.; 08-06-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
I bought the F33 because of the hard top. Its actually not the top that weights much. Its all aluminium after all. The weight and non-50/50 weight balace comes from all the motors and brackets in the truck to move the top.

Personally, I didn't find there to be a lack of truck space and I even drive around with 4 people every now and then. Space was adequate for a convertible. I think this would be a step back for BMW. The F33 hard top is pretty amazing.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Should just cut to the chase and make a M4 Spyder.

Never understood the point of a high performance drop top.. either you go hard top, which adds a ton of weight and ruins the performance, or you go with a rag top which leaves the body like a limp noodle.