BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Saburo Sakai: You'll never be as tough as him

11-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Saburo Sakai: You'll never be as tough as him

World War 2 Database:
http://ww2db.com/person_bio.php?person_id=498

"Saburo Sakai was born in Saga, Japan into a family of samurai ancestry but made a living as farmers. Sakai's father passed away when he was 11. He joined the Japanese Navy on 31 May 1933 when he was 16. Upon graduation, he served as a (removed. unmentionable)aboard battleship Kirishima. In 1936, he left Kirishima to join the pilot training program. He graduated first in has class in 1937 as a carrier pilot (although he never received carrier duty) and was presented a silver watch by Emperor Showa."

and

"Later that month, Sakai engaged SBD-3 Dauntless dive bombers from carrier Enterprise over Guadalcanal. He fired (removed. unmentionable) at one, scoring several hits but unable to disable the heavily-armored aircraft, he was hit by shots from the rear (removed. unmentionable) (manned by Harold L. Jones), blowing away his canopy and hitting him once in a head. Blinded in one eye by blood, he flew upside down to prevent blood from blinding his other eye. "If I must die, at least I could go out as a Samurai. My death would take several of the enemy with me", he initially thought, as he felt the left side of his body paralyzed after his head wound.

After a brief moment, he abandoned that idea as he realized his aircraft was in flyable condition, and he was able to control it despite his partial paralysis. he returned to Rabaul after a nearly 5-hour flight without his cockpit canopy. He insisted on making his debriefing report after landing, and collapsed immediately afterwards.

His squadron mate Hiroyoshi Nishizawa drove him to the unit surgeon, who was able to stabilize his condition. He was evacuated to Yokosuka, Japan on 12 Aug where he endured a long surgery without anesthesia, repairing most of the damage to his head, but his right eye would never recover fully. He was out of commission for five months."

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
World War 2 Database:
http://ww2db.com/person_bio.php?person_id=498

"Saburo Sakai was born in Saga, Japan into a family of samurai ancestry but made a living as farmers. Sakai's father passed away when he was 11. He joined the Japanese Navy on 31 May 1933 when he was 16. Upon graduation, he served as a (removed. unmentionable)aboard battleship Kirishima. In 1936, he left Kirishima to join the pilot training program. He graduated first in has class in 1937 as a carrier pilot (although he never received carrier duty) and was presented a silver watch by Emperor Showa."

and

"Later that month, Sakai engaged SBD-3 Dauntless dive bombers from carrier Enterprise over Guadalcanal. He fired (removed. unmentionable) at one, scoring several hits but unable to disable the heavily-armored aircraft, he was hit by shots from the rear (removed. unmentionable) (manned by Harold L. Jones), blowing away his canopy and hitting him once in a head. Blinded in one eye by blood, he flew upside down to prevent blood from blinding his other eye. "If I must die, at least I could go out as a Samurai. My death would take several of the enemy with me", he initially thought, as he felt the left side of his body paralyzed after his head wound.

After a brief moment, he abandoned that idea as he realized his aircraft was in flyable condition, and he was able to control it despite his partial paralysis. he returned to Rabaul after a nearly 5-hour flight without his cockpit canopy. He insisted on making his debriefing report after landing, and collapsed immediately afterwards.

His squadron mate Hiroyoshi Nishizawa drove him to the unit surgeon, who was able to stabilize his condition. He was evacuated to Yokosuka, Japan on 12 Aug where he endured a long surgery without anesthesia, repairing most of the damage to his head, but his right eye would never recover fully. He was out of commission for five months."

So.................... he went back to war with that level of condition after 5month? That is crazier than Wolverine!

11-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Here's another: Simo Hayha (AKA The White Death)

During the Winter War (1939–1940) between Finland and the Soviet Union, Häyhä served as a sniper for the Finnish Army against the Red Army in the 6th Company of JR 34 during the Battle of Kollaa. In temperatures between −40 °C (−40 °F) and −20 °C (−4 °F), dressed completely in white camouflage, Häyhä was credited with 505 confirmed kills of Soviet soldiers.[2][4] A daily account of the kills at Kollaa was made for the Finnish snipers. All of Häyhä's kills were accomplished in fewer than 100 days – an average of just over five kills per day – at a time of year with very few daylight hours.[5][6][7]

Häyhä used a Finnish militia variant of the Russian-made [unmentionable], chambered in 7.62×53R, the Finnish [unmentionable] cartridge, because it suited his small frame (1.6 m (5 ft 3 in)). He preferred to use iron sights rather than telescopic sights to present a smaller target for the enemy (a sniper must raise his head higher when using a telescopic sight), to increase accuracy (a telescopic sight's glass can fog up easily in cold weather), and to aid in concealment (sunlight glare in telescopic sight lenses can reveal a sniper's position). As well as these tactics, he frequently packed dense mounds of snow in front of his position to conceal himself and provide padding for his rifle. He was also known to keep snow in his mouth whilst sniping, to reduce steamy breaths giving away his position in the cold air.[8]

The Soviets' efforts to kill Häyhä included counter-snipers and artillery strikes, and on March 6, 1940, Häyhä was shot in his lower left jaw by a Russian soldier. He was picked up by fellow soldiers who said "half his cheek was missing", but he did not die, regaining consciousness on March 13, the day peace was declared. Shortly after the war, Häyhä was promoted from alikersantti (corporal) to vänrikki (second lieutenant) by Field Marshal Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
MYovichZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
So.................... he went back to war with that level of condition after 5month? That is crazier than Wolverine!

Couldn't resist the Wolverine reference....

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster / Silver Grey
BMW CCA 492691
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

True warriors, indeed. Deepest respect to any true life warrior as commited to their cause as these legends.

Never cared about actors/athletes/music performers. They come a dime a dozen, so ultimately, there is nothing special about them. These extremely rare men are the type of people I consider to be heroes/role models.
      11-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
SaM335ic
USMC Ret.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 JKU and 2013 F30 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
why are parts removed. unmentionable.

Sold* 2010 335i with Active Autowerke cat-less DP's, Cat-back exhaust, CP, and BOV, AFE stage 2 sealed intake, JB4 G5, BMS OCC, BMS oil cooler valve, Alpina Transmission flash and other misc coding.
Appreciate 0