BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > SCOTT26 - Questions For You
Closed Thread

08-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #45
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
BMW can enjoy high profit margins because it has a powerful brand image, build on iconic sport sedan models. Now if they make overpriced FWD minivans, they will make money today, but they are actively degrading the brand image, and risk not being as profitable in the next decade, when only soccer moms will get exited by the idea of a BMW.
I think the other article that is relevant is customer segmentation

I can't find the article but my recollection is that ~80% of current 1er owners thought their car was FWD. I was totally floored by this, but it just goes to show that some customers really are ok with FWD minivan BMW because that's exactly what they thought they bought

FWD models with huge volumes and margins for those who are ok with it, financing low volume specialty models for those who want it. Seems like it could be a win win
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #46
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

If BMW believes so strongly in an all turbo lineup. Then prove it by racing it on weekend and selling it on week days.

I don't think it is impossible as Mazda did it in prototype category with 2.0 liter turbo in ALMS. Given that engine is not related to a production version. The turbos can be raced. Now wining with them is a whole another story.

I would like to see BMW run the so called mystery engine of M4/M3 in ALMS. Lets see if it is all that and more. Because the BMW NA engines have been ALMS winners in past.

If turbos are the engines for future then M4 with turbo racing in ALMS, Grand AM, Le mans and Continental racing series, FIA European, etc. is what I am looking forward to. Because racing improves the breed. As we all know we need more bullet proof BMW turbos. Because in past they have taken flak for being not as solid.

As for lag I think it can be overcome. If a small electric motor kicks in below 2000 rpm and then turbos kick in from there. It would be lag free hybrid electric/turbo engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Yeah, lets see if they man up and try to run a turbo-6 in ALMS.

They believe in an all turbo lineup in the showroom, then prove its worthiness on the track.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 08-21-2013 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #47
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post

If BMW believes so strongly in an all turbo lineup. Then prove it by racing it on weekend and selling it on week days.

I don't think it is impossible as Mazda did it in prototype category with 2.0 liter turbo in ALMS. Given that engine is not related to a production version. The turbos can be raced. Now wining with them is a whole another story.

I would like to see BMW run the so called mystery engine of M4/M3 in ALMS. Lets see if it is all that and more. Because the BMW NA engines have been ALMS winners in past.

If turbos are the engines for future then M4 with turbo racing in ALMS, Grand AM, Le mans and Continental racing series, FIA European, etc. is what I am looking forward to. Because racing improves the breed. As we all know we need more bullet proof BMW turbos. Because in past they have taken flak for being not as solid.

As for lag I think it can be overcome. If a small electric motor kicks in below 2000 rpm and then turbos kick in from there. It would be lag free hybrid electric/turbo engine.
Wanna cracker? You're a cliche festival.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #48
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Time to add a new post in order to avoid this topic to disepear. We still like to have our answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #49
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Scott is really taking his sweet ass time on this. Maybe Scotty doesn't know...lol
      08-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #50
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Scott is really taking his sweet ass time on this. Maybe Scotty doesn't know...lol
Scott's is on holiday , but will answer when he has extra time to give you concise answers. but I will answer.
      08-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #51
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Scott's is on holiday , but will answer when he has extra time to give you concise answers. but I will answer.
Thanks for having a sense of humor, nice to have you around. I've bitched and moaned plenty about what you've posted in the past, and I'm 99% sure I said I'd never buy an X1 when it was announced. Oops.

Enjoy your holiday, looking forward to a humorous response to the whole topic.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #52
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Wink

Quote:
Sooo... performance became electrifying yesterday...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #53
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sure I will take a whole box while I am waiting for Scott's reply.

Cliche or not calling it as I see it.

Chevrolet, Dodge, Aston, Ferrari, and Porsche are racing modified NA version of engines they actually sell in ALMS as well as other racing series. That is not the case with even the current Z4 GT ALMS. As their is no NA V8 in Z4 nor does BMW sell any Z4 coupe. After E92 M3's departure there is nothing left that has a high performance NA V8. So lets step it up and race the all conquering turbo engines and see if they can be improved via racing in durability and efficiency.

If you are one of the top marquee brands in sports/luxury and well known for your performance machines. Then you will have to step up the game to play with the big boys. If not pack up and go home to making ultimate German RWD Toyota Camry. How is that for a cliche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Wanna cracker? You're a cliche festival.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 08-24-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #54
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Are you all hiring. I need BMW sponsored holidays.

Have a safe holiday.....and looking forward to your answers.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #55
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Sooo... performance became electrifying yesterday...
Yes in the X5 eDrive Concept , which will be BMWs showcase for a new line for Plug-In Hybrid models which will feature within each series the first models to launch with eDrive will be the BMW Active Tourer , X5 and the next 7er in 2015.

BMW will offer three sustainable lines Efficient Dynamics - Conventional sustainability. Active Hybrid - Conventional Sustainability with Electric assistance and eDrive - Plug in Hybrid.
The lines will compliment the BMWi cars in a way that M Performance cars compliment the M cars.

The next 5er will also be offered with a Plug in Hybrid.

The overall strategy is to maintain BMWs leadership in Sustainability, meeting targets ahead of schedule and remaining as the worlds leading premium manufacturer for innovation and the global market.
      08-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #56
Ratutory
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

No offense Scott, but clearly your signature on the bottom was meant for the i8, which you insinuated on several forums that it was going to be revealed on the 22 of August. Now maybe with all the talk of the M4 concept, BMW wanted to wait until the hysteria died down a bit, which is completly fair. I don't really know why you aren't just honest about it instead of claiming that a BMW X5 is "Performance becomes electrified". Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #57
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Performance becoming electrifying........its more like performance being electrocuted .

2014 M6 in Motor Trend latest article on best drivers car of this year.

2014 M6

" The car felt numb and isolating, like there was always a barrier between you and the road"

"BMW's illustrious M division built its name on cars that were light, nimble, communicative, and begging to be driven as hard as possible. The M6 is the antithesis of that ethos"

I guess every enthusiast owner and BMW fan was over joyed and electrified after hearing and seeing another disappointment. But who cares the sales are on temporary climb at the stake of long term damage to brands image. Everyone at upper management deserves a paid vacation forever

Last edited by Kayani_1; 08-25-2013 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #58
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Hate to say it, but BMW has basically become Mercedes-Benz. If you want a new car that can really double as a DD/track car, you're going to have to go upmarket (Porsche, maybe Ferrari), or go on ebay and pay the piper for an E34 M5. BMW, and certainly the M cars, are just not what they used to be. They're piping engine noise in through the stereo now for christ's sake.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #59
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
You guys are all being very rude to a member that kindly gives you FREE
info about upcoming BMWs and its an INSIDER (do you want to lose that?),
Can you back the hell off a little?
You aren't entitled to any kind of info from him
and obviously not in the way you people (not only the OP) are demanding it
Agreed.

then again this is what the internet's about these days right? everyone thinking they're so clever even to people who know WAY more than they do (as Scott26 knows way more than most here).

good luck on becoming Mayor, Dr. Danger!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #60
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Its the whole ENTITLEMENT SOCIETY expressed at its finest in this posts,
so a guy who probably works at BMW
is kind enough to waste his time on a forum
helping you guys out,
giving you early info,
and you decide to bash him?
to question his personal life?
and in a very rude manner demand information from him?
How awful is that?
I too am against deleting posts on the basis of the 1st Amendment
but this deliberately seems like a hateful anger filled post
against a good nature guy like scott26
Jason should take a look into users like this

Are you writing a poem or something?
Am I suppose to rap while reading your words?
There's no direction for this
type of discussion and most importantly,
its about a bunch of BMW enthusiasts taking shop.
Its nothing personal and i'm sure Scott is
a cool dude that doesn't mind informing the public
about BMW news and future direction.
The hateful anger filled post
you brought up is more about the passion for BMW
and the dissatisfaction that a lot of long time owner/
fans are experiencing with the brand,
again nothing personal.
      08-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #61
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Are you writing a poem or something?
Am I suppose to rap while reading your words?
There's no direction for this
type of discussion and most importantly,
its about a bunch of BMW enthusiasts taking shop.
Its nothing personal and i'm sure Scott is
a cool dude that doesn't mind informing the public
about BMW news and future direction.
The hateful anger filled post
you brought up is more about the passion for BMW
and the dissatisfaction that a lot of long time owner/
fans are experiencing with the brand,
again nothing personal.
Hey Scott, nothing personal, but hurry up and answer these questions while you are on vacation. Hey Scott, nothing personal, but the company you work for sucks and doesn't build a car specifically for me. Hey Scott, nothing personal, but stop lying to us about what you posted, we really know you meant this or this...

Sorry guys, but it sure sounds kind of personal to me. If you want him to answer your questions and keep participating, I would ease up a little bit or frame your responses a little more respectfully. Nothing personal of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #62
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Hey Scott, nothing personal, but hurry up and answer these questions while you are on vacation. Hey Scott, nothing personal, but the company you work for sucks and doesn't build a car specifically for me. Hey Scott, nothing personal, but stop lying to us about what you posted, we really know you meant this or this...

Sorry guys, but it sure sounds kind of personal to me. If you want him to answer your questions and keep participating, I would ease up a little bit or frame your responses a little more respectfully. Nothing personal of course.
You are asking for tact.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #63
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

I will start answering some questions whilst I sit on a beach.
Need to sort what is actually being asked?

" BMW can enjoy high profit margins because it has a powerful brand image, build on iconic sport sedan models. Now if they make overpriced FWD minivans, they will make money today, but they are actively degrading the brand image, and risk not being as profitable in the next decade, when only soccer moms will get exited by the idea of a BMW."

FWD as showcased on the BMW Active Tourer Concept is the ideal solution for compact and city cars. less so for larger Premium-entry and mid-sized cars.

Using FWD drivetrains not only does It offer less weight but also more room within the interior. For many prospective customers this is important , flexibility in this certain type of vehicle is essential if it is to carve a new opening in an already busy market. Breaking into this market is crucial as this is where future growth lies , it is also a progressive segment.

Combined with MINI we are looking at a full portfolio of interesting new models that will retain the individuality and of the two brands.
With the Active Tourer customers are also looking for a typical BMW driving experience and efficiency with adequate performance (not high performance).
The compact and city class also allows the diversity of implementing alternative drivetrains.

But if we go back to the 3er and the 5er it is essential to retain the RWD Drivetrain and this will not alter in the foreseeable future.

If for many the brand image is based upon the 3er and 5er as it always has been then I do not see the issue . The interesting aspect of the new 5er is its ability to conform to a multitude of roles , its compentcy still shames cars that sit in and above its segment.

The next generation 5er is all about advancing the car , and also the segment.

But we are in a progressive market and for BMW the MINI's credentials speak for themselves that yes BMW can switch drive trains and do both extremely well.
The Active Tourer is a fine example of a progressive market , as to get a BMW with equal amount of space you have to go for the X5.

At BMW models are not just decided on , especially niche models. There is a lot of work that goes on to evaluate options, there is that logical step to downsize, but we have to establish a market exists as does a customer.
A key example of that is the BMW X6. Already over five years old we are still waiting for the competition to catch up.
      08-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #64
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

So what I took from Scott26's post is BMW is not going to be building AG cars that reflect their past. The 5er and 3er will continue to become more soft and the minority (us enthusiasts) will have to buy an M performance or M car to get performance oriented vehicles. BMW has a new corporate objective, building fuel efficient "premium" mainstream vehicles that are not focused on being the ultimate driving machine. Hey, as long as their shareholders are happy right....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #65
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Honestly, the 3-Series no longer interests me. It has gotten too big, too soft, to isolated. I know that people are tired of hearing that said, but it is how I feel.

With that in mind, I hope BMW will continue to build sub-3 series RWD cars (i.e. 2er). I hope this is not the last generation of what is BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #66
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Honestly, the 3-Series no longer interests me. It has gotten too big, too soft, to isolated. I know that people are tired of hearing that said, but it is how I feel.

With that in mind, I hope BMW will continue to build sub-3 series RWD cars (i.e. 2er). I hope this is not the last generation of what is BMW.
... the only real drawback with this is the lack of a RWD saloon option at the moment at that level. For now we get the 1 series hatch if you need a bit of practicality, but the 1 series is going FWD, so I'm guesing the only option should you need a compact 4 door RWD saloon, will be the 2GC.

.. which makes that a REALLY important car for BMW.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread