BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Alternative Exhaust for 116i

05-05-2014, 04:56 AM   #1
bennzwel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 Edition 30

I'm planning to upgrade the exhaust of my 116i to either a dual pipe or twin dual pipes which are offered by Supersprint.

The reason is I like to have a deep and low tone exhaust sound without it being to raspy or loud, and I love the look of quad exhaust pipes.

So thought maybe by replacing the last section of exhaust I could achieve that. ( Aft section after middle silencer )

Is there any side affects on the performance ?
Should I replace the downpipe with one from 118i?
I'm planning to install ACS performance upgrade as well.

Any other brands out there which have products to achieve the best deep and full depth exhaust sound for 116i without being too loud or raspy ( specially when the accelerator is released ) ?

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
bennzwel
Private First Class
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:55 AM   #3
Yellowflash
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i xdrive M package

Hello mate!

Well, I'm new here but also I'm considering an exhaust upgrade for my bellowed 116i.

To me Supersprint is a very expensive option, and they didn't see any performance gain with their entire exhaust system on 118i.

Maybe there could be slight difference on our 116i but again, It's bit too expensive when it comes to performance gain/money.

I had a word with Millteksport and they promised me that they expect to have full exhaust system ready in the next 8 weeks with presentation videos and possible dyno charts. This system is just for F20/F21 116i and atm they have just Cat-back for sales.

Also, I was considering ACS for very long time, then after two months of detailed "web" research I told myself (help me God) and decided to go with much cheaper chip booster option from Racechip.

I personally didn't like the fact how ACS sets the boost to come much later on which for example can't improve 0-100kph times, on identical gearbox and engine that both 116i and 118i shares.

With Racechip and presently configured on the lowest factory settings (switch position is at DC1) which gives just 18% of performance improvement, I was amazed how my 116i transformed....

My previous car was Megane Rs (2005) which was bit tuned, and it really reminded me of it in a good way, but again not too close too it.

But more importantly boost now comes from 1800 RPM and you would feel two small jumps from that RPM range until 2000-2100, which really kicks the car!

I didn't make any video atm, and I have it installed just for 2 weeks.

Atm, I have already drove over 1500km with it and without any error message coming up.

Also not to forgot to mention that I have replaced standard paper filter with K&N filter (ANY oily filter would be identical and ok) to it which Racechip personally recommended to add, as I asked them over phone if it would be fine to do.

Before, with just K&N installed I noticed a slight delay in lower RPM throttle response with it, so I pulled it out until I received my piggy back chip.

Honestly, I didn't try how chip would work with standard filter, and I dont care as now the car just flies. )

Right now, I'm waiting for P3 vent gauge to arrive, and then I will start with making some videos how chip perform.

I dont dare to increase the settings until I see the boost and temperature readings which we can't see atm...

Most importantly, car reacts straight and pulls away on WOT in 6th gear from 80kph until 200+, which was impossible before...

And 60-120kpm acceleration in lower gear is just out of the words from this little 136hp toy. ))

I'm sorry if I went off topic here but I had to post this as I didn't see any decent review of this product anywhere especially for our cars.

Thank you, and I wish you good luck with whatever you decide to pick in the end!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
bennzwel
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your response and it's good to know what others tried and worked for them.

I am keen to see the sound of milltek exhaust but couldn't find anything on their site. What is the price they are going to charge? Is it only single tailpipe or they offering dual/quad tail as well?

Which specific racechip product are you using ? Does it void BMW warranty ? Does it come with warranty? Those are important to me.

I will keep the filter in mind what does it require to replace the OEM filter with the one you mentioned ?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:50 AM   #5
Yellowflash
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i xdrive M package

Also, I'm very keen to hear the sound of miltek exhaust too, but there isn't any video regard it on their youtube channel, and their product has same tailpipe size of regular 118i but it should sound more sportier.

You can check some of Milltek product for inline 4 engines on their channel if you're interested how some of them sounds.

Here is the cat-back product from their site and you will see that it's single tailpipe solution:

http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust....5#.U2nvS_mSw_Q

The only compatible for all F20 series is their most expensive and latest one Racechip TB Ultimate.

It was also very important to me that it wont affect the warranty and it doesn't, but before taking you car to your dealership for regular service or anything else, you will have to remove the chip installation by yourself.

But don't be afraid as I'm not car mechanic and I didn't even change a tire in my life, but I made to install it by myself.

Only problematic part of installation was to reach the boost pressure sensor which was below the intake box + I have a huge arms on top of that, but I made it in the end with little bit of stress and sweat.

Product itself comes with warranty, but it says "Made in Germany" so that gave me some confidence.

ACS has to be installed by official BMW dealership or by ACS itself what I heard.

If you decide to go with Racechip or any other product, you can freely ping me on private, as only part that wasn't mentioned in this product installation was where to safely store this chip, and not cause any vibration under the hood and keep it away from engine as much as possible. I can send you pictures where I have put it and save you at least half an hours of hard thinking where to stick it.

All the best!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
bennzwel
Private First Class
Rep

Did a bit of research on the Racechip , their warranty only covers the fault with the module not the engine or drive train.

And all it does is increases throttle response... I only saw one real dyno result which some are skeptical that the guy works for them.

No saying it doesn't work cause I haven't tried it but I might stick with ACS and pay the differnece
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Miltek now offers a full exhaust (Turbo back) and even De-cat. Requires a Stage 2 mapping.

http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust....variantid=1445
      07-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
R44HXL
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 535d

I have got Miltek's catback exhaust on my 116i and it increases the sound by at least 100%, I have also had it remapped by AMD Tuning which has pushed it to 210whp and it really flies now
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:28 AM   #9
Y20DTH
Rep
Drives: F20 116i 2014

I am planning to do something with my 116i's exhaust. At first I was keen on replacing the rear muffler with a straight pipe, as it sounds pretty good watching a few vids on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tpqDGV_X7I). The thing is, the workshop I asked recommend replacing the muffler in the middle.

Will it sound too loud or raspy, or have too much drone? I just want a deeper sound but nothing crazy.

Last edited by Y20DTH; 03-13-2019 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0