BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Good time to buy Rivian stock?

03-15-2024, 09:00 AM   #45
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
My thinking on this is the profit play for Rivian will be the same as Tesla. Selling earned carbon credits to other companies. If their production reaches significant numbers and their chargers catch on, I would expect someone to come in a buy them. Should that happen you will need a Rivian to pack all your money to the bank. If not your investment just became a good capital loss for your tax return.
So the profit play is based on something that could be ended immediately Jan 6th 2025? While all the other manufacturers that would need to buy those carbon credits are ramping up their own EV lines?

Yeah that's a great business plan O.o Bank on a government forced handout from legacy automakers that they're all gonna be trying to to get out of too...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:24 AM   #46
Barbarian
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92

Rivian stock's in the bargain bin right now. If even one of those smaller models takes off, your 800 shares could double... or triple! Worth the gamble for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:31 AM   #47
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
So the profit play is based on something that could be ended immediately Jan 6th 2025? While all the other manufacturers that would need to buy those carbon credits are ramping up their own EV lines?.
Sadly Carbon Credits are there no matter who is in the WH. See ESG
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:08 AM   #48
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Rivian stock's in the bargain bin right now. If even one of those smaller models takes off, your 800 shares could double... or triple! Worth the gamble for me.
I guess, if you like to gamble with your retirement.
      03-15-2024, 12:32 PM   #49
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sadly Carbon Credits are there no matter who is in the WH. See ESG
Carbon credit requirements could be removed by executive order that day. Day 1 a new president could remove the need to purchase offset credits, etc.

Heck, the supreme court might beat them to the punch, rolling back the power of the unelected bureaucrats in all the agencies, forcing them to only world powers that are specifically granted to them by Congress. That would spend all of this stuff the EPA poofed into existence to benefit themselves.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 01:15 PM   #50
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Heck, the supreme court might beat them to the punch, rolling back the power of the unelected bureaucrats in all the agencies, forcing them to only world powers that are specifically granted to them by Congress. That would spend all of this stuff the EPA poofed into existence to benefit themselves.
Is that English?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:57 PM   #51
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Is that English?
That's my phone autocorrecting my shitty phone screen typing. It did ok given what it had to work with, lol.

Short version, the supreme court might rule that agencies don't get to define the interpretation of their powers, and that would strip a TON of power from them. Ongoing legal case right now brought up by some small time fishing companies.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 03:51 PM   #52
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Carbon credit requirements could be removed by executive order that day. Day 1 a new president could remove the need to purchase offset credits, etc.
ESG has little to do with government or elections, It's all about the benjamins.

But I do love your optimism.

https://carboncredits.com/esg-invest...-need-to-know/
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 07:43 PM   #53
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ESG has little to do with government or elections, It's all about the benjamins.

But I do love your optimism.

https://carboncredits.com/esg-invest...-need-to-know/
There's the ESG side of it, and then there's the federally required offsets they have to buy, and have had to buy far before ESG was a thing. They're CAFE offset credits, that's what powered Tesla's growth the first like 15 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 08:39 PM   #54
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:

Wherever you get your news from, stop getting it from there.
      03-16-2024, 08:21 AM   #55
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Wherever you get your news from, stop getting it from there.
No it is you that needs to check your news sources. The Washingon Post, hardly the bastion of conservatism.

Supreme Court seems poised to halt EPA plan to cut cross-state pollution
February 21, 202
The Environmental Protection Agency’s effort to cut emissions from power plants and factories to reduce pollution that blows into neighboring states seems likely to be halted by the Supreme Court, a blow to an ambitious federal initiative that environmentalists have said is necessary to protect people, especially children and the elderly, from lung-damaging smog.

President Bozo's EPA extended the mandate to cover steel mills, cement factories and other major sources of industrial air pollution. The new limits target nitrogen oxide pollution, a major component of ground-level ozone, or smog, that has been found to worsen asthma, chronic bronchitis and other respiratory illnesses. They are designed to cut emissions of nitrogen dioxide from upwind states by roughly 70,000 tons by the summer of 2026, which EPA officials estimate could prevent as many as 1,300 premature deaths and reduce hospital and emergency room visits.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...supreme-court/
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:14 PM   #56
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Buy The Metals Company. TMC (NASDAQ).

They figured out a cost effective strategy to mine the ocean floors for the rare earth metals used in EV batteries.

You'll either get rich quick or lose all your money.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 08:39 PM   #57
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
No it is you that needs to check your news sources. The Washingon Post, hardly the bastion of conservatism.

Supreme Court seems poised to halt EPA plan to cut cross-state pollution
February 21, 202
The Environmental Protection Agency’s effort to cut emissions from power plants and factories to reduce pollution that blows into neighboring states seems likely to be halted by the Supreme Court, a blow to an ambitious federal initiative that environmentalists have said is necessary to protect people, especially children and the elderly, from lung-damaging smog.

President Bozo's EPA extended the mandate to cover steel mills, cement factories and other major sources of industrial air pollution. The new limits target nitrogen oxide pollution, a major component of ground-level ozone, or smog, that has been found to worsen asthma, chronic bronchitis and other respiratory illnesses. They are designed to cut emissions of nitrogen dioxide from upwind states by roughly 70,000 tons by the summer of 2026, which EPA officials estimate could prevent as many as 1,300 premature deaths and reduce hospital and emergency room visits.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...supreme-court/
You lose credibility and come off extreme Right when you use terms like "President Bozo".
Appreciate 3
Torgus3781.50
      03-16-2024, 08:48 PM   #58
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
You lose credibility and come off extreme Right when you use terms like "President Bozo".
I sure you're concerned about my credibility but if I don't change the names it is political even thought everything these days is political.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 08:53 PM   #59
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
Buy The Metals Company. TMC (NASDAQ). They figured out a cost effective strategy to mine the ocean floors for the rare earth metals used in EV batteries. You'll either get rich quick or lose all your money.
The problem with this is what metals will be required for the next technology? Who wants to spend big money on what is likely to be the EV equivalent of the buggy whip? This is the problem when an emerging technology is super charges before anyone understands what the right solutions will be. I would make one bet, it will not be a lithium / cobalt future.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17312.00
      03-17-2024, 07:30 AM   #60
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Everyone gets it, right? Carbon credits were literally made out of the thin air?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 08:18 PM   #61
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Everyone gets it, right? Carbon credits were literally made out of the thin air?
OK. We'll call them nitrogen credits
      03-18-2024, 06:35 AM   #62
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
OK. We'll call them nitrogen credits
Is that when you put nitrogen into your tires?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2024, 06:57 AM   #63
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Read about benefits of nitrogen water this weekend.
      03-18-2024, 10:58 AM   #64
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Carbon credits and credit trading over the years have driven industry in the US to "cleanup" their industry. 20+ years ago, environmental stewardship was very low on industry goals/improvements. Now, after a few decades, industry recognizes the value of improving efficiency, ESG, etc. as there is real cost saving plus shareholders are demanding clean business.

Industry has a vested interest in fighting environmental regulations as the regs often impact their front end profitability. Decades ago industry fought damn hard against catalytic converters, arguing that they won't work and will greatly impact vehicle performance and reliability, will cost industry and buyers too much, and do little to cleanup the environment. The first few years of implementation were rough, but after that, the technology proved it's worth on all fronts.

EPA doesn't just pull these regulations out of a hat. They spend years researching, analyzing, talking to experts/scientists, industry, etc. to determine what industry can handle and the environmental improvement. We should always be moving towards a sustainability, reduction, etc. EPA is far from perfect, but they are very much needed as industry has proven time after time that they are most focused on profits and the short-term.
      03-18-2024, 12:07 PM   #65
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
EPA doesn't just pull these regulations out of a hat.
No they pull them out of an orifice considerably lower than their hat.
Appreciate 1
Tejas1836996.00
      03-18-2024, 12:17 PM   #66
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No they pull them out of an orifice considerably lower than their hat.
Yawn. You have no idea how it works. I've been working in the industry for over 25 years. And no, I'm no tree hugger and have never (or ever will) worked for EPA or any other regulating authority. I've gotten into many heated moments with EPA and state regulators arguing that they over-reaching and/or don't know their own regs and laws. But I still respect what they do and why they are needed because I've seen the flip side as I represent industry. I see what they do, try to get away with, sweep under the rug, etc. As I tell my clients often, ignorance is not a defense and working within "gray areas" is often unwise.