BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Advice on 1 series for potential family buyer

01-06-2016, 05:35 AM   #1
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Advice on 1 series for potential family buyer

Hello everyone, I'm an escapee from the F30 forum for today but wonder if you can help me with some advice.

My daughter and son in law have a yearning to buy a nearly new 1 series in succession to a 2008 Honda Jazz.

They want a more responsive and classier alternative for themselves and their children aged 8 and 6. Is the 1 series a runner do you think. Slight downers from the press seem to be hard ride and tight for space in back. She'll need a reasonable boot space too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS she lives in York so waterproofing would be apposite too !!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I have the M-Sport suspension, but I would not say the suspension is too hard. I wouldn't want it softer. If you go for the regular non M-Sport suspension, it should definitely be soft enough. I think the runflat tyres are the reason for the comments. Go with regular tyres if you want some comfort.

It is correct that the size in the back is slightly smaller than the FWD cars in the same size bracket. Go to a dealer and see if it is large enough. If not, consider the 218i Active Tourer.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I haven't been in a Jazz in a long time, but I very much doubt a 1 series is smaller in the rear for both boot size and rear seat room! Also, the ride of the 1 series is rather comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I haven't been in a Jazz in a long time, but I very much doubt a 1 series is smaller in the rear for both boot size and rear seat room! Also, the ride of the 1 series is rather comfortable.
Thanks for that W. Gratefully received.

Read with horror about problems along Ocean Road with bush fires - hope things are back to normal for residents of this wonderful place on Earth.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tallon View Post
Thanks for that W. Gratefully received.

Read with horror about problems along Ocean Road with bush fires - hope things are back to normal for residents of this wonderful place on Earth.
Thanks. I haven't been down there but unfortunately it wouldn't be normal for them for several years to come until all the burned out houses are rebuilt. We get bush fires here in different regional areas every few years, and I've seen various communities destroyed by the unfortunately events. It's sad, and sometimes it just never returns to how it was.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
My daughter and son in law have a yearning to buy a nearly new 1 series in succession to a 2008 Honda Jazz.

They want a more responsive and classier alternative for themselves and their children aged 8 and 6. Is the 1 series a runner do you think.
Of course it is.

Quote:
Slight downers from the press seem to be hard ride and tight for space in back. She'll need a reasonable boot space too.
Is she going to transport a nuclear warhead? Here's a piece of advice from an expert:

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

why not both?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil111 View Post
why not both?
Who'd want the other having one?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #9
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

well if i were them i would buy a daewoo matiz to be quite honest
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
here is a nice example,2006 0.8l engine 50 hp one owner since new 13,000km (8000miles)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:14 AM   #11
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

We have both a 1 series and a Mk6 Golf. As much as I love my M135i, if it was ever to happen, I'd rather be in the back of the Golf than the 1 series. Also a tad more luggage space in the Golf. But I didn't buy my 1 series for either of those reasons
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 04:35 AM   #12
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
well if i were them i would buy a daewoo matiz to be quite honest
They should appreciate your attitude: you must be happy to be not them! Yet they want to move up, not down into the ground.

Quote:
here is a nice example,2006 0.8l engine 50 hp one owner since new 13,000km (8000miles)
I actually meant you'd never want to drive a not so driver's car once you have a BMW. Otherwise you made a terrible mistake.

I have very limited need to move these days but I do enjoy taking mine for a ride. I never even thought of that with my previous modest ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
if it was ever to happen
Don't lose hope! I've never been to the back of mine, only wiped two year dust last summer (too infrequent, of course, but they seem to clean the cabin at the service I have annually ). But I do believe (and that's the TG point in my understanding) those two cars are too different to compare: you can (really) appreciate only one of them, never both!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
RiczPT
Rep
Drives: F21 118d

I do have a three door 1 series, but I've driven and been driven in a 5 door. When it comes to comfort, my m-sport is actually more comfortable than my dads C class amg package, so that's saying something. But the "normal" suspension is really smooth. In the back of the 5 door, there's enough room for 2 adults (the 3rd would have to squeeze a bit). The boot is more enough for a small family, but it's no audi a6 avant.
When it comes to the engine, unless it's a M135i, all of them are good options for a family car. Plus, it's a premium brand.

Any questions?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #14
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
They should appreciate your attitude: you must be happy to be not them! Yet they want to move up, not down into the ground.

I actually meant you'd never want to drive a not so driver's car once you have a BMW. Otherwise you made a terrible mistake.
the matiz is more of a drivers car than my 114d lol
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #15
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm an escapee from the F30 forum for today but wonder if you can help me with some advice.

They want a more responsive and classier alternative for themselves and their children aged 8 and 6. Is the 1 series a runner do you think. Slight downers from the press seem to be hard ride and tight for space in back. She'll need a reasonable boot space too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS she lives in York so waterproofing would be apposite too !!!!!!
The Jazz is remarkably space efficient and airy and I was rather surprised how much rear seat room there is. Likewise the Honda's boot is something like 330 litres, barely any less than the 1er's, and I think there's a bit more flexibility with the Jazz's luggage arrangements, plus more cabin storage.

That said, the 1er would be fine for the majority of trips with two kids 8 and 6. The hatch aids with options, as does the 2/3;1/3 split fold, although the window like is relatively high so it could feel claustrophobic after the Honda, and the tighter footroom may be an issue if carrying a friend in the middle seat in a year or two.

Quality and solidity are on another level, and ride and refinement in the 1er is excellent with less harshness, a more supple springing and better damping control than the Jazz.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
jonheres
Rep
Drives: 120i f20 m sport

I have a 120i m sport lci .. it has the sport suspension and the run flats and let me tell you, in our roads, that are FILLED with holes , i think it is a pretty decent ride ... really.

If you go further with normal suspension and normal tires you will be even more comfortable ...

I dont know if its placebo effect but when i drive it in ECO PRO mode the steering wheel is really soft and the suspension feels even more smooth ..

As for space, the back seats will be more than enough for 8 and 6 yrs olds ...

Go for the one series .. the LCI is a looker .. everybody i know sees my car and have only complements for it! =) Plus it is just SO FUN to drive!

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #17
neilwilliams
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116iSE

I've got the pre-LCI on standard suspension, 17-inch wheels and runflats. The ride is fine for me. My dad had the previous generation 1-series on 16-inch wheels and standard tyres and thought the ride in mine was better. He's since upgraded.

I'd say they should go to the dealer and arrange a test drive, specifically asking for a route with speed bumps. Make sure they know what size wheels are on the demonstrator by checking them, rather than taking the salesman's word for it.

Dealers will let them check that they can get child seats in easily and put things in the boot, it's in their interests to let potential customers to this.

Back in 2009 I test drove the Jazz and it was a comfortable car. The 1-series will seem like quite a step up and should have sufficient boot space, just remember it's a much wider car. The Jazz is very efficient on space as that was Honda's guiding principle when it came to designing it.

I think both the children would be fine. There's much more space than in the previous generation. Granted, a golf will have more space as it has a higher roofline and smaller transmission tunnel, but I've never had any complaints from passengers.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #18
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilliams View Post
a golf will have more space as it has a higher roofline and smaller transmission tunnel
It's rather a rigidity or exhaust tunnel or something: there's no transmission underneath. And it does have an overall wider ass, doesn't it? At least it looks so.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #19
neilwilliams
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116iSE

Quote:
It's rather a rigidity or exhaust tunnel or something: there's no transmission underneath.
It's a standard phrase for the tunnel that gets used within the UK whichever wheels are driven.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 06:08 AM   #20
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilliams View Post
It's a standard phrase for the tunnel that gets used within the UK whichever wheels are driven.
I had no doubt you meant that. It's just quite well-known that many 1 Series owners aren't aware which wheels are driven in their car and that tempts BMW to dismiss the key feature. So just to keep it clear for potential buyers: 1 Series does have a transmission tunnel whatever it costs regarding practicality, while others in the class feature a "transmission" tunnel only. And it does cost regarding driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #21
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I have a nearly five year old and a tall seven year old; both fit in our M135i fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #22
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em135eye View Post
I have a nearly five year old and a tall seven year old; both fit in our M135i fine.
lucky kids,i wish my parents had such a tarmac eater when i was young
Appreciate 0