BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Empty battery on spare key

02-27-2016, 03:48 AM   #1
M1fortyeye
Private
Rep
Drives: m140

Empty battery on spare key

Hi!

I would like to ask if anyone had an empty battery on a spare key? I have a 8/2012 f20 and haven't used second (spare) key for at least 2 years.
Somewhere I read that battery is charging while key's in the car (I have no idea how). Will battery charge itself if I have it in car for a longer time?
Yesterday I could unlock and lock the car and after I did it three times and drove 30 minutes I couldn't do it anymore.

Just a warning: I could get it the car by phisically unlocking it but I couldn't start the car (I think it's written in the manual that in case of empty battery you can start the car by putting key to the market spot at steering wheel --> didn't work for me).

Regards
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:14 AM   #2
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

The battery isn't rechargeable, you need to replace it with a new CR2450 cell.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afirst1 View Post
Somewhere I read that battery is charging while key's in the car (I have no idea how). Will battery charge itself if I have it in car for a longer time?
No: AFAIK, what you refer to is the previous generation cars where the key had to be inserted into a slot to start/charge. No wireless charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afirst1 View Post
Just a warning: I could get it the car by phisically unlocking it but I couldn't start the car (I think it's written in the manual that in case of empty battery you can start the car by putting key to the market spot at steering wheel --> didn't work for me).
That's really strange as they do claim you can start the engine with a "flat battery in the remote control". Please see it here: F20 1 Series Owner's Manual PDF (for download), page 29.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
M1fortyeye
Private
Rep
Drives: m140

Thank you!

I completed the same process today and engine successfully started..don't know what happened last time.
Appreciate 0