BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Iphone 4

06-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #89
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Lot easier for other markets (Japan) to incorporate such a fast network when their physical geography is so small.

Exactly. We have huge areas of low population density to try to bring coverage to as well as super high demand urban markets...
      06-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #90
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Competition is good for everyone.

Time will reveal the victor -- however you can't criticize the beautiful designs of Apple's products. They appeal to both the newbies and satisfy the tech heads too.

Android is pretty good -- but not fantastic -- but they are just in their first generation. Interesting to see if they will still be around for a version 4 like Apple is now.
      06-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #91
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
The biggest telltale signs of Apple's success is it's integration in other products.

You see it everywhere.

Most obvious - Your BMW. IPod hookup.
Gym? Treadmill? IPod hookup.
Audio Receivers - IPod ready.
Little kids? IPods/IPod touch.

Guess what? The IPhone offers this.

Sure, you can use a USB memory stick and different music on your Android or whatever, but your average consumer doesn't want to put music in multiple devices. It's already time consuming or hard enough (for your average consumer) to do so. Most older consumers ask their kids to do it for them.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #92
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I've owned both and happen to be a user interface designer by trade. Android is definitely not as usable as iOS. It's not nearly as well designed from a design or usability perspective. Of course if you use them both daily, they will both feel just as usable. I'm sure pilots feel that the cockpit of their plane is just as usable. Android is good, but iOS IS a better designed OS just as OS X is a better designed OS than Windows 7.
thats what everyone seems to say, and its supposedly that anyone can just sit down and use it, but I couldn't even find the wifi/network settings on a macbook , all this airport nonsense pfffttt
      06-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #93
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
thats what everyone seems to say, and its supposedly that anyone can just sit down and use it, but I couldn't even find the wifi/network settings on a macbook , all this airport nonsense pfffttt

The way they manage network settings on 7 makes me want to hurl my computer at the wall...
      06-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #94
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The biggest telltale signs of Apple's success is it's integration in other products.

You see it everywhere.

Sure, you can use a USB memory stick and different music on your Android or whatever, but your average consumer doesn't want to put music in multiple devices. It's already time consuming or hard enough (for your average consumer) to do so. Most older consumers ask their kids to do it for them.

They're absolutely successful, popular and widely integrated products. I do like that I can just plug my iPhone/Pod into a treadmall at the gym. Obviously popularity doesn't necessarily mean they're better at everything - Hondas are more popular than BMWs etc.
      06-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #95
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

guys how much will this be brand new without contract?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #96
chancejat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
probably 700-900 on ebay.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #97
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post

16GB and 32GB no commitment pricing is $499 and $599 respectively.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-95795419.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancejat View Post
probably 700-900 on ebay.

06-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #98
ABQ325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
That was a joke right?

The Mac OS is so simple to use compared to the PC.

Mac : Install OS, click airport icon, choose network - browse web.

Windows: Install OS, install drivers, reboot, plug in ethernet cable to connect to internet to download drivers for wireless card, kick pc when you realize you need ethernet drivers too, get MBP, download PC drivers, copy drivers to thumb drive, kick PC again when you realize you need USB drivers, burn drivers to CD, insert CD in PC, copy drivers, install drivers, reboot, fuck around for 10 minutes getting the wireless card to work, choose network, browse web.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #99
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ325i View Post
That was a joke right?

Windows: Install OS, install drivers, reboot, plug in ethernet cable to connect to internet to download drivers for wireless card, kick pc when you realize you need ethernet drivers too, get MBP, download PC drivers, copy drivers to thumb drive, kick PC again when you realize you need USB drivers, burn drivers to CD, insert CD in PC, copy drivers, install drivers, reboot, fuck around for 10 minutes getting the wireless card to work, choose network, browse web.

This. When I run 7 in Bootcamp, I can't get the damned network settings thing to open. I have to use bridged networking in Parallels.

06-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #100
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Here's a great article (about iPhone 4) for those who just compare device features to determine what makes a better phone: http://www.tightwind.net/?p=1936 I really couldn't have said it better myself.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #101
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Here's a great article (about iPhone 4) for those who just compare device features to determine what makes a better phone: http://www.tightwind.net/?p=1936 I really couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm buying one, but can only hope that video chat/ FaceTime will be able to connect to devices other than iPhone 4s in the near future. They're chalking it up to "carrier issues" just like they did with tethering, which we are FINALLY getting with iOS 4. Epic fail.
      06-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #102
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

499.99 sounds awesome,

will definately get this
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #103
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'd love to see a more in-depth video of the machining and assembly process. I love how precise all the components on my uMBP are, it'll be nice to own a phone that possesses the same quality. Moving to a glass back was a good move, it'll be significantly less scratch prone than the current plastic.
      06-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #104
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:

You see it everywhere.

Agreed. Apple has done well to saturate the market with familiarity. I think that along with ease of use, rather than specs or implemented tech, is what's given them this foothold. They have marketed, implemented, and sold their ideas and devices to the public extremely well. Steve Jobs may be a complete dickbag, but he knows wtf he's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
The way they manage network settings on 7 makes me want to hurl my computer at the wall...
No joke, but I think for me it was mostly because of what I was used to with Windows. They changed things up a bit with 7 in that regard, so I was lost due to my familiarity with how it had always been. There are a few things in 7 I've had to get used to which were a bit difficult at first, but pretty much every one of those features were cumbersome for me because of what I was used to from MS.... For someone unfamiliar with Windows, I think 7 is easier to get around than (compared to previous versions of Windoze) for someone who has been on Windows machines for decades (shit that makes me feel old).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ325i View Post
That was a joke right?

People actually have laptops without integrated WiFi cards these days? Also I'm a bit confused as to why you'd have hardware which didn't ship with the most recent drivers. I would think that would be more on the shoulders of the device manufacturer.... But you're right; the Mac is generally easier to get around.

The iPhone 4 looks really nice, and I might get one for a bit. I'll probably be driven away again due to the lack of hardware keyboard (not the phone's fault, I know...), but I don't think it's as far from the competition as it has been in the past.... This time, it looks like Apple has (for the most part) gotten "real" about HW specs, probably mostly due to pressure being applied by competitors.... That is a good thing. However, even though they may be the best "smartphone" for your average user, they should definitely try to stay ahead of the curve. It's going to be difficult. Android is moving very quickly, and so is the hardware backing them.... Also, with the planned decrease in fragmentation of Android OS's, it should move forward nicely.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #105
DrockNJ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

you can try out iOS4 now...you just need to have a mac...and there's already a jailbreak out for it...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19837...html?tk=hp_new
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #106
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Does anyone know if the iPhone4 will be 4G compatible if/when AT&T ever decides to switch over to the 4G network?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #107
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
Does anyone know if the iPhone4 will be 4G compatible if/when AT&T ever decides to switch over to the 4G network?

Nope. It'll require different hardware just like 3G did, unfortunately.
      06-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #108
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
Nope. It'll require different hardware just like 3G did, unfortunately.
I don't see the point of adding LTE hardware to the iPhone right now. As of now proven by the Evo 4G, 4G hardware is a power hog. When AT&T finally gets 4G out reliably will probably be in 2012 or so and that is when people who are buying the iPhone 4 will be free to upgrade. It is not practical right now to add LTE hardware to the iPhone as of now. Maybe the iPhone 5 will have it depending on how fast Verizon rolls it out( 2011 is when they will start to roll it out I believe), but I won't anticipate it until iPhone 6.

Apple doesn't adopt the newest and immature technology just so they can add it to the statistic sheet.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #109
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I don't see the point of adding LTE hardware to the iPhone right now. As of now proven by the Evo 4G, 4G hardware is a power hog. When AT&T finally gets 4G out reliably will probably be in 2012 or so and that is when people who are buying the iPhone 4 will be free to upgrade. It is not practical right now to add LTE hardware to the iPhone as of now. Maybe the iPhone 5 will have it depending on how fast Verizon rolls it out( 2011 is when they will start to roll it out I believe), but I won't anticipate it until iPhone 6.

Apple doesn't adopt the newest and immature technology just so they can add it to the statistic sheet.

Agreed. I don't see LTE being in many markets before iPhone 5/6 is released.
      06-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #110
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
That's not something you have to worry about with the iPhone4 unless you plan on keeping it for 45 years.
Appreciate 0