BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > What do you thinks best for Treble and Bass Audio Settings?

08-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

What do you thinks best for Treble and Bass Audio Settings?

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some advice on what you've found to be the best settings for Treble and Bass within the iDrive on the standard Audio System? I realise the sound won't be anything good in comparison to the HK or HiFi systems, but i would like a decent amount of Bass without swamping the sound or making it feel lifeless and flat (may aswell get some use out of those 'subs' under the seats). I'm no pro when it comes to this, so im not sure whats best.

Any pics or advice of your setup would be great!

Thanks in Advance,

Ben
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
PS2K
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M135i

An open ended question for N55 owners...too busy listening to the engine / exhaust

I would configure the settings according to your own requirements. I like the standard stereo setup..just make sure you rip your mp3's highest quality and adjust audio controls accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

My choices:

Bass at centre + 1
Treble at centre - 1

Doesn't distort at any volume, and enough bass to satisfy.
      08-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
PerthM135i
Rep
Drives: M135i

take off the rear muffler and replace it with two stainless hotdog mufflers and you won't want to fiddle with the wireless
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Whatever works for you. How can someone else possibly answer a sound preference question?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Whatever works for you. How can someone else possibly answer a sound preference question?
Sure its personal preference, but there are some settings that will obviously ruin the sound. Since im no expert on EQ settings, thats why i asked in here. I generally listen to a wide range of music types, and without changing the audio settings between each track i was after inspiration as to what others use.

I decided to create this thread after i'd used the same setting since day 1, i then changed this the other day and it now sounds better IMO, so i was wondering if there was a pattern in what people have chosen.

Thanks for the feedback so far!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
Sure its personal preference, but there are some settings that will obviously ruin the sound. Since im no expert on EQ settings, thats why i asked in here. I generally listen to a wide range of music types, and without changing the audio settings between each track i was after inspiration as to what others use.

I decided to create this thread after i'd used the same setting since day 1, i then changed this the other day and it now sounds better IMO, so i was wondering if there was a pattern in what people have chosen.

Thanks for the feedback so far!
Sorry Ben, Didn't mean to come across negative. Just thought it was a very personal thing to advise on.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
My choices:

Bass at centre + 1
Treble at centre - 1

Thanks orcomma, ill give this a try on my way home tonight. Keep the suggestions coming!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
Thanks orcomma, ill give this a try on my way home tonight. Keep the suggestions coming!!
NP, i'm a fan of bass but not if it detracts from the overall clarity, plus I like it loud and with those settings I haven't yet come across a song that won't play fine at 100% vol

I think it also depends on the sort of music you like - I'm 80s Electronic / Dance so for me bass clarity is important
      08-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

The funny thing

For me, the only setting that works is flat. No treble or bass boost. I would classify myself as an audiophile, with a fairly kick-ass home system. What ever adjustment I use may sound appealing for a song or two but after several hours its always a relief to remove the adjustments and get back to flat.

The most important things I've found related to sound quality are volume and the digital quality of the media I'm playing. Anything less than 256Kbps has to my ear an unacceptable degredation, while the system installed in BMWs needs to play at a certain level to overcome tyre and wind noise, but not so loud that it clips the rather weak kneed amplifier and/or pushes the speaker drivers into distortion.

Whenever you make a change to audio settings, its very typical to like the new settings for a while, but find that surprisingly you prefer the original setting when you switch back a few days later. As a rule, whenever I introduce anything new into my system, I take it out a few days later just to check that I still prefer the system with the 'improvement'.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
My choices:

Bass at centre + 1
Treble at centre - 1

Exactly what I set mine to and for the same reason, creepy.

Actually for flat recordings I sometimes set Treble to centre +2 and it clarifies nicely.

The car is a hugely variable audio environment so basically it's what sounds good for you while out and about. At home I have the Bose Lifestyle 12 properly set up for the room it's in. Bought 13 years ago so no DAB just AM/FM and CD but it sounds superb.
      08-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
CB71
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I also have mine on flat for treble and bass. But I have turned down the speakers in the back so I have more sound from the front.
Appreciate 0