BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Business Development vs Project Management

01-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Business Development vs Project Management

I am curious which one you guys prefer. I am looking to make a switch from finance to something else and those positions are open at work. I applied for both and either one would be good experience. I would like to know which one you guys think would be a better career path, more fun, etc. Some of you may be in either role. If so, please do chime in.

Just a disclaimer that this is just purely a curiosity thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I think in many ways that decision is ultimately dictated by the kind of person you are. Having some experience in this realm as a consultant I could generalize the two as follows:

Business Development - Being able to quickly connect with people, build rapport, probe for areas of improvement and propose solutions based on client need. In terms of skill-set... being personable energetic, and extroverted.

Program Management - Being able to communicate with stakeholders, set expectations, manage project risks, develop timelines, document plans and keep a budget. Required skillset would include organization, communication & financial analysis. Typically these individuals are more introverted and analytical.

Just my 2 cents having worked in both roles for a top 5 IT consulting firm. Both roles are interesting in their own ways but can be vexing if you don't fit it well in terms of personal interests & characteristics.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Dude, I work in finance as well and honestly between those 2, as much as I don't exactly enjoy my job... I would still keep at it.

BD- Glorified Sales Job... thats really what it is. If you are into traveling, perhaps it's right, but it will burn you out quick.

PM- This is for the biggest suckers on the planet. You are stuck with the absolute largest responsibility and you will be used to the nth degree and the first to let go if something goes South.

Granted, I am considering a career transition as well as the office job is getting boring but I would never consider either of the above. If I absolutely had to choose, I would go BD... but remember... this is really a sales job.
      01-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Thank you for the responses thus far! I do like to travel so I wouldn't mind. The PM job also involves operations planning and procurement so I do get exposed to other things (I have some experience in this). Both positions require domestic and internation travel, although not that much (maybe 1 international and a few domestic a year).

There is also subcontracts but I don't think I would enjoy that position. I do like interacting with people so either of the positions above would be a better fit.
Appreciate 0