BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Sedan_Clan's Personal Trainer Thread

09-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #991
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Played soccer Friday night. Volunteered to be goalie second half, and came home with all kinds of sore spots from the ball hitting me in unusual places. Allowed 1 goal in our 4-7 loss.

Saturday I mentored another referee, then ran a game myself. My legs are tired today! Looking forward to some pool time, then definitely some soaking in the ccajuzi afterwards!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #992
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

what's your go to PR songs? i listen to "til i collapse" everytime i am going for PR or heavy sets.
      09-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #993
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85
what's your go to PR songs? i listen to "til i collapse" everytime i am going for PR or heavy sets.
Tool's "Stinkfist". My God do I get hyped.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #994
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Anyone interested in planning out a 3 day workout routine for me . Monday Wed and Saturday. Wed could be the hardest day as I have 2 days rest after before the next workout session. Looking for a mass type of program. Currently ~140 aiming for 150 -160 tops.

Kids are back in school which means I don't have to rush home so my lady can go to work. And that means I can get back to the gym after summer off!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #995
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post
Anyone interested in planning out a 3 day workout routine for me . Monday Wed and Saturday. Wed could be the hardest day as I have 2 days rest after before the next workout session. Looking for a mass type of program. Currently ~140 aiming for 150 -160 tops.

Kids are back in school which means I don't have to rush home so my lady can go to work. And that means I can get back to the gym after summer off!
3 day workout is hard but doable. push/pull/legs n repeat

push - find a few pushing compound movements/few accessories work to finish off.

pull - deadlifts/few back exercises/few biceps/forearms

legs - squat/hack squat/leg extension/few hamstring exerises.

10-20lbs wont build u much muscle to be honest, maybe shoot for 25-35lbs
      09-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #996
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post

I'll give it a go. ( haven't been following the thread closely so don't know if I'm lacking important info )

This initial routine would be for 3 or 4 months.

On M W & Sat.
Bench Press ( switch between barbell and dumbell no machines ) 3-sets and go for 10 reps.
Squats: barbell, 3-sets 10-reps.
Pull-ups: doesn't matter wide grip or narrow grip. ?-sets, ?-reps ( do as many sets of pull-ups in a period of no longer then ten miniutes and proper rest between sets)
Do crunches on a large diameter rubber ball - aim for at least 5 sets of at least 15 reps but no maximum limit.
Pull-ups and crunches can be done between sets of bench and squats or any sets of any exercise. And switch up order of exercises. Do a warm-up or empty bar set of each exercise.
Then do the following exercises once a week on a work out day: 1) some type of bicep curl. 2) some type of lateral raise. 3) lower back hyper-extension (either on bench or off a bench with someone holding down legs). (no machines)

Notes: Deadlifts begin on the next routine after this program is performed for 3-4 months. Deadlifts and Squats require proper form and can't stress enough injuries, and even Pull-ups can be injurious. You need to be smart about weight selection and form. Pull-ups may need to be assisted.

If possible jump rope on off days. Even five minutes of jump rope is fine.

Last edited by overcoil; 09-14-2015 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:36 AM   #997
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow

It looks like Richard and Scott beat me to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #998
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Wednesday night I did a single set of squats, extensions, and curls. Then I hit the pool for 800 yds. It's much tougher to swim when you get cramps in your toes and/or calves ;( I have a hard enough time swimming in a straight line. . .

Tonight it game 1 of the Fall season of soccer. I've already started adding potassium and magnesium and going to make sure I get plenty fluids thru the day.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #999
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
Wednesday night I did a single set of squats, extensions, and curls. Then I hit the pool for 800 yds. It's much tougher to swim when you get cramps in your toes and/or calves ;( I have a hard enough time swimming in a straight line. . .

Tonight it game 1 of the Fall season of soccer. I've already started adding potassium and magnesium and going to make sure I get plenty fluids thru the day.
Your fluids consist of more than water right? Are you at least adding potassium or salt supplements to your liquids? That will help with the cramping.

P.S. Thanks for the shout out in your interview. I just listened to it, and I laughed because I shouted you out too, but in that moment I couldn't recall your username. I was in total zombie mode. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #1000
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I'm the one with all the health issues??? I'm just old and diabetic

ALMOST got my son into the gym this past week. Offered again, and saw he found an old barbell out in the back yard and used it a bit. I see some of his buddies at the gym with their dad, so I put the bug in their ears to talk to him.

Potassium/magnesium caplets. Co-worker brought in some homemade soup, so I will spike that with some extra salt for lunch. Water, low-sugar fruit drinks, decaf coffee this morning so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 01:28 AM   #1001
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Tell him he has girl arms
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #1002
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

He's more concerned with his legs, BUTT he inherited that physical feature from his mom with the Clydesdale legs. . .
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #1003
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

LMAO!!! What is going on here?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #1004
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I've noticed a disturbing trend of late. When I go to the gym and am either out of sorts on where I should work, or that area is full, I gravitate to the curl, I mean, squat rack. . .

Just being mindful of using my quads to really finish each lift, I'm concerned about just how I was accomplishing each lift before. Knees? Lower back?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #1005
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I've noticed a disturbing trend of late. When I go to the gym and am either out of sorts on where I should work, or that area is full, I gravitate to the curl, I mean, squat rack. . .

Just being mindful of using my quads to really finish each lift, I'm concerned about just how I was accomplishing each lift before. Knees? Lower back?
u gotta have a plan IMO, like a workout schedule.

M - chest/tri
Tues - back/bi
W - legs
Thurs - shoulder
etc.

and learn the machines/exercises. if your are suppose to do squat/leg press and the machines r taken, do hack squat. if all benches are taken on chest day, do machine/do dips.
      09-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #1006
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede

Probably a mixture of both. The mind-muscle connection is extremely important where lifting is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #1007
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

That schedule seems to be the same one EVERYONE has. My problem is that my "schedule" is like that in terms of the groupings, but the days just don't line up one after the other. "OK, last time I was here I did back/bi, so I need to do shoulders today. Oh, look, every single shoulder machine, all the bars, and most of the barbells are in use. OK, I'll go do squats and then swim"
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #1008
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Probably a mixture of both. The mind-muscle connection is extremely important where lifting is concerned.
yes that mind muscle connection is like the most important thing when you push that weight. you want to feel every rep working and squeeze the hell out of the fiber.
      09-24-2015, 08:37 PM   #1009
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

what's your take on building traps, is shrugs a must? i started doing upright row with the curl bar and my traps is blowing up like crazy. i havent done bb shrugs for a while now.
      09-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #1010
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85
Quote:

what's your take on building traps, is shrugs a must? i started doing upright row with the curl bar and my traps is blowing up like crazy. i havent done bb shrugs for a while now.
It's such an individual thing, but shrugs never worked for me. Heavy or moderate weight deadlifts did more for my traps than anything else. I'm also not predisposed to having super meaty traps, but they aren't small or underdeveloped by any means.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 12:16 AM   #1011
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Tuesday I mowed the entire infield with 20" mower on level 2, then ran a mile with dips/sit-up every quarter. Tonight they wanted me to burn at level 0 and I dumped 20 wheel barrow loads but only got about 1/2 done before it got too dark to see if I was cutting the grass. Started before 5
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #1012
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

SO I had the best of intentions for my workout last night. Checked my blood about 5:30 and it was a perfect 106. Had some left-over tri-tip, cheese, and corn, washed it all down with some milk.
Get to the gym about 7, squat rack is busy so I do 3 sets of seated curls and extensions, then bar opens up. Get in 5 good sets, great form. Finish with 2 more sets of curls/extensions.
Head to the pool, getting thru about 400yds when I start to really flounder, and I can feel every stroke in my chest/lats, and I keep swallowing water. Get out, soak in cajuzzi, then shower off and head home.
I'm home, and things are started to really feel bad, all over. It's 9:20 when I realize I didn't take my insulin with dinner. Take a modified 10 units. At 9:50 I do my bedtime check and I'm at 489 Pouring water down my throat to rinse it all out. Painful just to get into bed, if I had hair it would hurt too.
This morning I'm still at 287 after waking up. So much for my good intentions.
Appreciate 0