BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i - xDrive or not?

01-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M135i xDrive

M135i - xDrive or not?

I plan to buy a M135i hatch. It will be my second car, after about two years in a 320dA Touring.

I will use it as my daily driver. I'm hesitating whether I would go for the xDrive or not. Living in Belgium we often have rainy weather, so the added grip will be welcome. I didn't really like the steering on a 3 series xDrive compared to the RWD though, but since the M135i has electric steering, I don't know if it will have such an impact.

I have a test drive planned with the RWD at the BMW centre in a week, but there is no xDrive version available for testing, so I won't be able to compare both. I don't see any reviews online of the xDrive version either, it seems only the RWD is tested.

Is there someone who compared both cars and is willing to elaborate on the difference? Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I don't think the car will have traction issues in wet weather even if you select RWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11, F36

If I was living in Belgium I would definitely have chosen the RWD. If I were living in the Alps, or in Norway (which I am), I would choose the xDrive. The balance in the car is so good that on wet weather it's just more fun with RWD. In snow, it's also very fun with RWD, but I would have had the xDrive to add more traction, and make it a more usable daily driver.
My tip: Save the extra money the xdrive costs and spend it on extras to the RWD M135i
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
toming
Rep
Drives: ///M2

well, depending on the car-config, the x-drive version is nearly same price. i ordered an x-drive as it cost me only 700€ more, and i do not live near the alps but having 100 rainy days a year, i am not so sure being able to get the full power to the road with only RWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toming View Post
well, depending on the car-config, the x-drive version is nearly same price. i ordered an x-drive as it cost me only 700€ more, and i do not live near the alps but having 100 rainy days a year, i am not so sure being able to get the full power to the road with only RWD.
I remember testing traction with a Z3 M Coupe. With well over 300 hp, a manual gearbox and no traction control, I thought it would be easy to provoke wheelspin. It was raining, and the car had studless winter tires. Driving in first gear on a straight road, it was not enough to just flatten the throttle pedal. No wheelspin. I had to use the grip for cornering or use the clutch to make it spin.

I would say you have plenty of traction even on rainy days with RWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Thanks for the input. The price doesn't really make a difference.

I know the 0-100kph time is 4.7 as to 4.9 RWD. Does it make a difference above 100kph?

Did someone test the xDrive? Could you give us some feedback on the handling and steering?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgguysomg View Post
Thanks for the input. The price doesn't really make a difference.

I know the 0-100kph time is 4.7 as to 4.9 RWD. Does it make a difference above 100kph?
Due to more power loss in the transmission, AWD will probably be slower than RWD above 50 km/h or so. AWD is quicker off the line due to more traction.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

For me the xDrive is a logical option when you go for the AT. Since when you do, you almost get the xDrive for free.

The 0-100km/h is a bit faster, but that's only because you can do a grippier launch in first gear. During none stoplight spring conditions, the RWD is a bit more agile (less weight) and faster but I assume it remains totally unnoticed when your name is not Vettel or Alonzo.

Since I appreciate foolproof performance, also during wet conditions, I'd go for the xDrive. The extra consumption is only marginal, the extra weight is acceptable, the balance of the car is probably not compromised too much either and the extra cost is not even worth to mention.

In contradiction with former posters, I don't believe that the 1-series can perfectly bring the 450Nm to the wet asfalt via only his rear wheels during sharp turns. It just is impossible. I only have to consider the overtime the DTCS has to do in my output reduced 520d when it rains. Most probably, not going for xDrive will make you curse yourself for omitting the xDrive 100 days a year, on every roundabout you take.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
In contradiction with former posters, I don't believe that the 1-series can perfectly bring the 450Nm to the wet asfalt via only his rear wheels during sharp turns. It just is impossible. I only have to consider the overtime the DTCS has to do in my output reduced 520d when it rains. Most probably, not going for xDrive will make you curse yourself for omitting the xDrive 100 days a year, on every roundabout you take.
But then again AWD will also not get the power down if you are cornering on the limit. The car has a limited amount of grip (not higher with AWD), and it is up to the driver how much you want to use for cornering, and how much to use for acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
But then again AWD will also not get the power down if you are cornering on the limit. The car has a limited amount of grip (not higher with AWD), and it is up to the driver how much you want to use for cornering, and how much to use for acceleration.
Yes, that is correct, the lateral acceleration is the same for both when you don't accelerate during the turn. I don't exclude the better balanced RWD is even able to marginally have a better lateral g reading.

But when you drive only remotely like I do it no longer holds, I transfer mass to the front axle before apex and to rear after apex, by throttling in and out while searching the lowest gear on turn in. I do this to savely search grip limits I guess and it kept me already several times out of crashing my car. I actually don't believe that Schumacher can approach a turn with perfect constant speed across to have max lateral g.

Assume you're on 80% (or even 95% when you want) of lateral max attainable g's and you want to accelerate after the apex, than the 4wd will be able to spread longitudinal forces amongst the 4 wheels which ALWAYS provides a bigger resulting longitudinal accelaration, which is the vectorial combined of lateral and longitudinal accelerations. This is a plain physical and mathematical law, you can't deny.

The problem with RWD is that the front wheels can not get exploited to use their resting longitudinal grip to help accelerating out. This is a problem that BMW very well knows and understands! The m135i has more than enough torque to confront you with it every time it rains and you still want to get things moving. I assure you that you won't need extreme performance driving to push the rear wheels over the grip limit with this enthousiast engine.

Therefore, when you consider AT and you don't live in California or Spain, go for the xDrive, certainly in Belgium where price delta is very small.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Just a small addition to previous post... before you react I can't drive, which is most probably very true, I have to say that I see very professional drivers do this.

Every time you see a car slide, they do this. They provoke oversteer in the first half of the turn before apex and letting the rear axle come in slightly (not too much in the initiation and propagation phase). When you want spectacle, you balance the car in oversteer on apex and provoke overpower to maintain oversteer.

When you want speed, you need traction and keep the YAW of the car as limited as possible. Here 4WD is your friend, under the condition the mass distribution remains sufficiently equally balanded 50/50.

Look at the GTR, this is a very extreme example of how the grip off every wheel is extremely exploited, also and certainly in the phase of maximal lateral g's. There is massive evidence on you tube of this. Check the comparison of the GTR and M5. Most of the difference is due to the traction of the altessa 4WD system, it"s not in the engine nor the transmission.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I see that you both understand the physics behind vehicle dynamics, and know how to drive. If you listen to the RPM during formula one races, you will hear that those drivers almost never go constant speed in corners. They brake deeply into the corners, and accelerate hard from the apex. That is usually the fastest line.

You are right about AWD cars having an advantage when it comes to exit speeds out of tight (slow) corners. This is particularly noticeable on snow and ice. In rainy conditions, it has to be very tight corners (roundabouts as you mention) to make a difference, at least if the RWD and AWD cars have tires that work well in the rain.

With the fake LSD acting as torque vectoring, you can go surprisingly early on the throttle even with RWD. This causes a load transfer to the rear tires, allowing you to put quite a lot of power down.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #13
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

I see there's no definitive answer to RDW or AWD.

I've been to a few dealerships, and every single one of them told me to go for the RWD due to the nicer steering.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
eminate
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport

If you drive in icy/snowy conditions you should consider x-drive.
Or in other words. If you think you are going to need the extra traction in slippery conditions. This depends on how slippery the roads are when wet.

In the end it all comes down to how heavy your foot is on the throttle.

2013 BMW F20 -
B45-337-ZVA-ZVM-2NH-302-3AG-420-430-465-493-522-563-575-609-615-654-674-6NF-6UH-6VA-6WA-8TH
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #15
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

I wonder if anyone here with a 135i can answer this, I only have a 116i M Sport and I am pretty sure tyre sizes are similar, suspension set up will be a touch different but.......

On the wet UK roads when I put power down early coming out of corners my yellow traction light is flickering away, now this could be the rubbish run flat tyres but surly the 135i must have similar issues.

My Porsche seemed much better at getting the power down and this had 200BHP more than my 116 so I know its possible, i just don't know if there is that much difference in the underpinnings of the 135i to a 116i M Sport??

If I was buying an Audi I would (and have) always gone with the Quattro version as they just seem to be more usable in the UK.

I am seriously considering upgrading to the 135 in X drive because of this....

GBR1
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #16
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

GBR1, it is all about the tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #17
Caput Mortuum
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: VW Scirocco 2011

I live in Finland and would, hopefully will, order an M135i in RWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

So there's no one here who has driven the xDrive?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
Rikky
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325Cd A

Hello,
I beleive the 4WD only will be available from the 3th week of january in Belgium. I had some doubt also, but as I want the car in automatic gear, the price for the 4WD is about 600 eur. I explain; RWD has no automatic gear, only as an option. The 4wd has always automatic drive for the Belgium market. If I would buy the RWD, I will have to pay about 2450 eur for the automatic gearbox, in that case there is only about 600 eur difference, without the special conditions that wll be counted on that amound.

So, no doubt, 4WD for me, but I never had one, and it is impossible at this moment to test one in Belgium. I will test the RWD next wednesday, but will ask to try also a 4WD of an other model to do the experience. But for that little difference I surely will buy the 4WD, normally also about 2450 eur.

Rikky

BMW 325 CDA
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #20
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikky View Post
Hello,
I beleive the 4WD only will be available from the 3th week of january in Belgium. I had some doubt also, but as I want the car in automatic gear, the price for the 4WD is about 600 eur. I explain; RWD has no automatic gear, only as an option. The 4wd has always automatic drive for the Belgium market. If I would buy the RWD, I will have to pay about 2450 eur for the automatic gearbox, in that case there is only about 600 eur difference, without the special conditions that wll be counted on that amound.

So, no doubt, 4WD for me, but I never had one, and it is impossible at this moment to test one in Belgium. I will test the RWD next wednesday, but will ask to try also a 4WD of an other model to do the experience. But for that little difference I surely will buy the 4WD, normally also about 2450 eur.

Rikky

BMW 325 CDA
Let me know how it went. I have a test coming up on Friday. Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #21
stoffelve
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 (2009) m135i xDrive (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikky View Post
Hello,
I beleive the 4WD only will be available from the 3th week of january in Belgium.
The xDrive already is available in Belgium. Orderded mine in October (first week ordering the xDrive was possible) and picked it up at the dealer 2 days ago.

Like you mentioned there isn't a big price difference with the automatic transmission. I don't do any 'extreme' driving on snow or gravel, the daily commute and a skiing trip to alps once or twice a year. Just like the idea 4WD and I'm used to it in our other car (e83 X3).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffelve View Post
The xDrive already is available in Belgium. Orderded mine in October (first week ordering the xDrive was possible) and picked it up at the dealer 2 days ago.

Like you mentioned there isn't a big price difference with the automatic transmission. I don't do any 'extreme' driving on snow or gravel, the daily commute and a skiing trip to alps once or twice a year. Just like the idea 4WD and I'm used to it in our other car (e83 X3).
How is the steering?

Did you test the RWD? How does it compare?
Appreciate 0